tommy-flanagan.jpg
image.jpg
da claw.jpg
image.jpg
th.jpeg
programmers.jpg
image.jpg
The Craw.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iceman44.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Judging by early returns on the theme, this pin is the perfect one to take a stand against rising prices and getting LESS in return. Don't buy this NIB!

Stern can censor their FB page by removing anything negative, NOT here.

It's time to start saying "Shut up and you CAN'T have my money"

Don't fall for the Hulk Hogan autograph that you buy for $2 on eBay.

1. Make them finish the Code
2. Play it first
3. Then if you love it buy it

It's time to BREAK the cycle, take the PLEDGE (Not referring to the Ops obviously)

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

Iceman,
Taking the politically correct route as usual! lol

Nope, just taking my own advice and waiting for this announcement to get my pound of flesh/two cents in.

Where is the "premium", oh yeah, I'm sure the Baron Von Raschke special edition auto version is coming too, after the 400 LE's are sold, NOT!

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#16 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Actually the sad thing is this pin sets a good bar of what you should get in a pro. Metal ramps, LEDs , improved sound and a cool upper play field. I hope this continues.

Pegs and no spinners, where are the F ing spinners! Light show?

Come on, for the $$$ the PRO blows. And I said for the $$$. No going to back to the Met days.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I'm thinking this will not sell well

It won't "sell well" if people finally take a stand and don't buy until they play it and Stern starts finishing code the right way.

It's a new day, new year, time to make a change!

Buy AFTER complete code and you've played it.

Btw Dispinballer, you need to change your rating system. You give Twd a 2.0 and ST a 10 along with POTC and other shit?

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Absolutely great theme to get Kids to play pinball. Completely disagree.

I agree, let the operators take ALL the risk.

I've tried a ton of pins in my house with my kids and asking them to play on location, and I guarantee to you or anybody, there is no pin of any theme that will get Kids to play pinball, sorry, not gonna happen.

Phones, video games, instant gratification, its all over for the younger generation and pinball, especially as Stern builds it.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I was on the fence, but after seeing this thread I'm going to place my order with JJ tomorrow for the pro.

This thread made you decide to buy, GL with that Cosmo

Tell JJ I said Hi!

Quoted from davewtf:

but they lowered MSRP by $500 from the prior game... Derp.

What is it? First its less, then its the same price as TWD, what's the deal.

MSRP means NADA! What is the shipped price from brand X distro? $4250?

I don't care if its $3250, I'll take WPT over what I see right now and get that one cheaper.

In fact, I'll take about 3 dozen other pins over any Stern PRO these days of any theme.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#64 9 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

I feel bad that the game Pinside intends to start taking a stand against is another John Trudeau game, right after John Trudeau's last game was a flop. His designs really do rock and I wish they were more successful.

It's not John's fault at all, I think he does a great job, I'm a big fan of Creature, Dredd and Congo, despited some major stinkers.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

How can you consider buying when it's possible the championship match isnt in the code, or a couple of the wrestlers don't even appear in the game...till possibly months later or never at all. Just can no longer take a chance on an incomplete released game.

Like TWD which I just bought and like a lot but will it be a year or so before lighting gets implemented, callouts get fixed, Horde wizard mode actually does something?

Theme got me on that one, will never happen again.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from theBRAIN:

Ice, are you the same guy that has money into RAZA and who had recently sent JPOP a deposit for AIW and is ready to send JPOP even more of your money for a MG after he has apparently breached his agreement with the original owners of MG over the production of those extremely limited games?

No shit, look how that turned out, dumber than a bag of rocks. Now see numbers 1. 2. and 3. above "the Brain". I'm using mine now.

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And what will be my prize?

A new screen door?

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

yes, it would be great if stern went belly up and was no longer producing any more pins for our hobby...Oh wait, theres always jpop, skit-b, heighwy, pps etc....all the games I have played by those manufacturers are way better than sterns pins

Feel free to step up and put your order in like you said. I did my part on bankruptcy avoidance with TWD.

"Shut up and take your money"

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from theBRAIN:

So you are going to pass if a MG spot becomes available, is that what you are saying?

Yep, I'm passing on everything in the future until 1. 2. 3. I've done my pinball support of anything and everything. Time for you guys now.

I can't imagine anything, short of a fully functional, fully coded MG from John, ready to go, that would get me to put $$$ into that lifetime venture. Nope.

#91 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

So you are going to pass on JJP #3? No way. Your full of it.

Well, to be fair, JJP says they will announce and then ship Lawlor's pin Stern style, except that the code will be done. Talk is cheap and they have said a lot of things the last 4 years.

That would be a first, and as an eternal optimist and Lawlor fan, a guy can dream right?

Maybe my only 1. 2. 3. exception (at least since TWD), we'll see

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I made a deposit on an LE
I'm sorry

And pigs just grew wings and flew off like the monkeys in Woz.

Well, no use fighting the "shut up and take my money crowd". I'm sticking with my 1. 2. 3. pledge and now I'm going to watch the last 3 episodes of Breaking Bad!

The last half of Season 4 and now Season 5, now that's TV at its finest.

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from tigerpin:

My 11 year old plays pinball almost every day. His friends play and enjoy it when they come over (they play pinball just as much as video games). He wants to go play on location when we have the opportunity. Also - He REALLY prefers the newer Stern games to almost all older games. Maybe my situation is unique, but don't just assume that kids won't enjoy pinball when given the opportunity.

It's unique and it will change, trust me, that's how my kids started out too, along with my wife.

Crickets now. No biggie.

How many pinball machines did you have in your parents house growing up? Or maybe even your grandparents?

When you think about it, pretty crazy right?

Growing up I went to the arcade or bowling alley to play games, all games, "on location", now we have arcades in our homes.

Honestly, I'm glad my kids don't play pinball every day, or video games for that matter, they need to get their butts outside and be active, like it was when I grew up. They spend enough time with their eyes glued to their phones.

The good old days, times are changing, not for the better. If my kids could use those pinball machines as a texting or internet device I wouldn't be able to get them off of there.

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

What do you say ICE? Sell that severely incomplete coded TWDLE and go plunk down the money on AMH. Game is complete, code is done, and they are shipping now (slow but steady). If you want to make a statement, that is a genuine statement.

I wouldn't sell my TWDLE now but I'd buy AMH before I buy any other Stern pin Nib again, Wooly too for that matter.

Now I might be willing to sell my Woz for an AMH.

#148 9 years ago

1. Make them finish the code

2. Play it first

3. Then buy it if you love it.

So far 39 people have disagreed with that concept. I'm guessing that 90% of those people will never buy a Nib Stern and just want people like myself and others to keep buying Nibs as the guinea pigs.

Not happening, and if its not true then congrats you 39 are now part of the guinea pig crowd. Thank you

And most importantly, Stern thanks you!

#151 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Haha, yeah, that's a reason to buy games that are broken, because if you wait they'll get more expensive.
I hope people do keep buying them NIB. Stern isn't going to change their code practices, they don't care what collectors think. So buy them up. Please! So I can get them HUO off you later when you're burned out on it and the code is final.

Stern thanks you and so does Aurich, and now myself of course!

Btw, I don't believe you Curly, you doctored an email, are you trying to cause me to give up all hope?

#155 9 years ago
Quoted from Brehhah:

Nothing EVER comes out perfect the first time.

Nobody is asking for "perfect", just follow through in a reasonable amount of time. Their track record BLOWS.

Over and over again, when the evidence is as clear as a Jesse Pinkman rat, the Stern apologists come running out of the wood works to defend, yet at the same time, they whine and bitch about everything else under the sun.

It's CLEAR, Stern pinball does not give two shits about the collector or HUO guy, because we let them get away with it, time and time again. No premium initially on TWD, oh wait, sold real well, we change our minds.

I have 5 Stern pins, 4 of which I bought following steps 1. 2. and 3., and I made an exception for TWDLE, I love them all, SM, LOTR, Ac/dc, TWD and WPT.

Remember, at the end of the day, unless you work for Stern, us in the pinball community are on the same side.

All that said, here's hoping things really do change at Stern, I'm hopeful, I love TWD so far and the code is decent, yet if it takes another year to complete I might do a video of myself burning it to the ground and posting it as a reminder for people.

I'm in the stands rooting for Heighway, Spooky, Jpop, SkitB, Riot, all of them, and JJP!

#161 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

If you really want to take a stand against Stern, then sell all your Stern games and show that you really mean business! Only buy games from companies that handle business in a method that you approve of. In the real World if there's a company that I don't want to support due to the way they conduct business then I don't buy their products period!

That's exactly what I'm doing, how does selling my current Sterns hurt them?

I'll keep buying Stern pinball machines, AFTER the fact, like I did the first 4, the ones I like!

Can do a better job of communicating? Totally unacceptable, like many other pinball makers we know.

#164 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

So, this title is geared towards operators who don't care about code updates?
Iceman makes a post on pinside which is geared more towards collectors?

I wonder if Ops and Stern realize that its mostly pinheads that play on location? Maybe not?

So I agree, Stern should just focus on the Ops, well they do that anyhow.

Yeah, its really great when you walk into a place like Eric's and the code isn't updated on TWD believe it or not, not leveled properly and those guys are great ops because somebody else services those pins via JJ I believe, maybe not.

Btw Tron, I've already sold one SM, the only pin I ever sold to upgrade, for 4k with Building and Subway mods.

When I do decide to sell, they will be great deals. I like to pass it on and pay it forward to other collectors and HUO guys.

Hmmmm, you got me thinking now Mike

#167 9 years ago
Quoted from u2sean:

Really?? Where's the data to back this up? It really depends on the location. Yes, games do get a lot of play from pinheads but there have been a lot of new players (i.e. NEW pinheads) joining the ranks recently. You think there would be an increase in pinball in general if there weren't new games to play on location? No way. Get the new / shiny games out there. It's something different and kids of all ages ARE drawn to it because it's something completely different, or something they haven't seen in years.

I don't know, maybe the Ops can enlighten us, after all pinball on location has exploded to the upside over the last few years hasn't it with all these newbies?

#170 9 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

It's interesting, that threads always start with people who don't like the current theme. But, if it's a theme they desire, it's an entirely different story.
I choose to do what I want, and you and choose what you want. Because our choices will have little to no effect on code development.

And this mindset is why it probably will never change. I agree.

#215 9 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

It will never change because it's unreasonable and not the way software development works anymore. I wish it did, but it doesn't. Take Star Trek for instance, by some accounts, the game isn't done yet. Would you rather not have that machine even yet today? And if so, how would Stern stay in business? It takes the same amount of time, it's just if you want to play it in the process.

Then you are making my point for me.

Wait, have a little patience. Don't buy Nib until the software is finished to an acceptable point and you've had a chance to play it first.

Obviously, a whole lot of people don't agree with that common sense approach, whatever.

As for Star Trek, the programmer obviously makes a big difference. My other point, I won't buy any Stern now unless Lyman is the guy. I'll let the rest of you guys beta test it. Thanks!

#217 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

ALL I want is a list of expected code features and a promise of when they will be complete.
Stern not only does not communicate, they fail to control the message which to me is a failure.
Them simply stating what the code is planned to be and a ruleset would help greatly.
Granted this will undershoot what they may end up with, but will help set proper expectations rather than forever leaving steady supporters and customers in the "hope" phase which just builds resentment and anger towards the company.
I personally think they should 'allow' people to hack and code on the back end. Sad part is that they could likely find people that would complete the code for FREE that are already part of the community.

Exactly, is a little communication too much to ask when you are shelling out 8k for an Le? Or even 5k for a pro?

That's the whole point, I'm not gonna do it. I'll happily let the other down voters that don't agree with me be the beta testers and carry the frustration for years like with Star Trek.

To be clear, I'm obviously NOT saying for Ops to not buy Nib, rock and roll, its part of your business.

#218 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Anyone who's pre-ordering the LE (that we haven't even seen) strikes me as being somewhat foolish. Just say no!

It's not selling out in 5 hours. Hell you can pick up a nice HUO TWDLE right this minute. There's no point in rushing to be first.

Amen brother!

Quoted from PW79:

I can't have a $7K+ toy with missing modes, worthless inserts, missing LE features, bugs, years of being stroked & possibly never seeing code completed.

Amen brother!

You were really messing with us right? You didn't really pre order an LE?

#226 9 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

But Stern doesn't manufacture complete games. Only "out of production" games have a chance of being finished.

Aurich you brought up a point I pondered earlier today. If no premiums are sold will Stern code LE features for 400 people? Nope, ask that STLE meteor

You got it! I thought maybe somebody hacked your account Curly. Now you are thinking clearly.

Woz isn't the only stupid thing I've ever done, I'm trying to learn from my mistakes.

Quoted from bemmett:

I agree, I am out unless "dream themes" come along, which there aren't too many I can think of that would make me buy NIB anymore(from Stern)

My only exception as well, like with TWD and I'm happy with it so far, but if they kick me in the nuts and don't finish it for another two years or ever then I'll go Walter White on them.

#247 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's a great visual metaphor for how much Stern cares.

So true. It really is.

And what was ST all about? I know because I was part of the feeding frenzy rushing to get a deposit down on an LE after the MET LE Cluster F.

So they jack up the price to record heights for Stern, jack up the numbers to 799 on the LE (I still don't believe they are all out there).

LCD's and Ritchie, Lasers etc. It was hype train city and then Stern ripped the NADS right off all of the flippers by simply pocketing 100% of the flipper profit.

Haven't seen much "flipper" talk or threads in quite some time right? No margin left after MET.

Who gets shafted? The end consumer, just like the ridiculous "laser light show".

Then came Mustang and then went Mustang, quickly.

TWD blesses us with optimism again. Stern agonizes over how many LE's they should produce to extract the max profit out of dummies like me.

No premium they say, its a new day there and new approach. Whoops, looks like the LE's sold real well and boy howdy, here come the premiums.

It wasn't enough that they F ed people on that move, ok, no biggie, but then the LE differences versus the premium just don't add up for the money so they have to take it to an even higher level.

$399 for a topper, a great one I might add, but one that should have been included you'd think on the LE?

After all, now we have an $8k pin with topper, big whoop, and it sits close enough to my LOTR LE, that was almost 3k less.

I love the pin, but I'm not loving any more $8k overpriced and under featured pins any more

#267 9 years ago

Yeah it survived for decades as a secondary market when Bally was selling 25k pins to operators.

We all know the story and what happened.

I think Stern said the HUO market now makes up about half of their sales depending on the pin.

Things have changed. A LOT

#273 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The secondary market still exists - its not like the shift to NIB is because its the only place to get them. This is driven by individual buyers who need to learn the hard way it seems.

My point exactly. Kind of what the whole thread is about. Common sense isn't it?

#277 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

The code issues with past titles have me sitting on the bench with this one. I like the theme. Wrestlemania is a great license and the new tech looks cool. The fear over the code worries me. My ST sitting with incomplete code worries me more.

I "like" the theme too Tiger, we will play it on location but not buy it because

1. You haven't waited until the code is complete, if ever, (see ST in your house)

2. Play it first.

If any of that makes any sense then don't buy NIB right?

And I might want you too to for when i come to Lake Charles to gamble.

#278 9 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

...and ST has such potential to be such a great pin, top 5 in my mind!!! wait a second, that's why I paid 8k for it...

Carmelo Anthony had great potential. Just a loser that will never win a championship, talented, but a loser nonetheless. And I've seen it first hand with Carmelo and ST

#294 9 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Good thing no one took your "pledge" for WoZ (including yourself) or there'd be no JJP company....
or is this one of those "do as I say, not as I do" thangs....

That's the beauty of what has happened over the last 4 years since Woz was on the table, you live and learn hopefully!

I think the LE looks really cool, just not gonna buy it, love to play this one on location though

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iceman44.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/take-the-pledgedont-buy-wwe-nib?tu=iceman44 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.