tommy-flanagan.jpg
image.jpg
da claw.jpg
image.jpg
th.jpeg
programmers.jpg
image.jpg
The Craw.jpg
There are 306 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
#201 9 years ago

Should have been standing against pricing 4 releases ago, from all companies that do preorder.

#202 9 years ago

Yes I would. I don't care what the theme is. It's just a game. I can pretty much afford any game I truly want, but I'm not dripping in money. I work hard to earn it. I'm not spending it on something half assed. If I just want to look at it I'll buy a nice limited edition print or something. Spend a fraction of the money to just stare at something cool.

If it's truly a great title later when it's finished I'll buy it used. That's how I got my METLE, which I love. But I didn't go through all the code angst, I waited. I stupidly didn't on Star Trek, which I bought because I really wanted to do an alt translite for it. So in that sense it wasn't a total waste. But it was a good lesson. Never again.

Here's the reality: Stern doesn't do the code until the game is basically done. Just read the Pinball Magazine interview. JT straight up talks about how unfinished the code is, how they they don't know all the rules yet, etc. The game is on display at CES, apparently shipping soon.

So yeah, there's your problem right there. Someone else can support that ridiculously dysfunctional system, ain't gonna be me.

#203 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I have to disagree with you. The Pro and Premium are still in production. That's incentive #1. Sell more units of the game. Positive word of mouth sells more games. Incentive #2: reputation and future sales. They officially have a reputation of "seller of unfinished games". Maybe they're still selling enough that it doesn't matter....but wouldn't it be nice to sell MORE? ...and NOT have that dark cloud hanging over the company?

Yeah, but the Premium isn't selling. And so all the LE/Prem features they never bothered to turn on don't mean much, ops and collectors buying Pros don't care. I mean the asteroid flashers never go off during the game. Don't tell me that's hard to program. It's simply that they don't give a shit. Apron lights don't do crap. I'm guessing they never will at this point. Wish they would, that's super disappointing, but I've lost faith in anything but a bug fix finally coming out at this point. I'm sure it will at some point, it was supposedly close.

#204 9 years ago

I TAKE THE PLEDGE!I TAKE THE PLEDGE!

#205 9 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

I won't be buying.Im a B/W snob from way back.

What? 10% of your collection is Gottlieb

#206 9 years ago

I am also taking a pledge, Two new WWEs ordered today. Got to make up for some of you.

#207 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, but the Premium isn't selling.

Because buyers are savvy & know the code is boned. Premiums aren't limited so no reason for buyers to buy it incomplete. Same thing happened with AC/DC at first...after a few magic updates, Premium started selling like a mofo. They still have the ST license for 2 more years. It benefits them to sell as many ST's as they can within that time.

#208 9 years ago

Easy pass for me. Even if it ends up being an amazing players machine, I hate the theme and that's important enough to me to warrant a pass on this one. I pledge to never buy this pin.

#209 9 years ago

The more I think about it today the more I want to bail

Stern can't finish shit on a familiar platform. How can I believe they can finish WWE on a new platform?

I can't have a $7K+ toy with missing modes, worthless inserts, missing LE features, bugs, years of being stroked & possibly never seeing code completed.

Life is short so I'm gonna buy something but it's unlikely to ever be a new release.

#210 9 years ago

If I was Stern, I would also debut a brand new platform on a low volume game. It is actually much less expensive that way. Engineering changes are cheaper in small runs. If there is a huge problem I am fixing a couple hundred games max. This is just one way that businesses control costs.

Wrestlemania is just a Beta Test machine guys. Don't worry so much about it. New platform, all new electronics design. As a pinball person, you were expected to not like it. It is a very smart way to do it. Once the shakedown cruise is over they can really start taking passengers.

#211 9 years ago

I won't buy another machine without playing it first. I broke this rule for MMR because I knew how it played but then came to my senses about possible issues with a new platform. Change the title to don't buy anything until you've played it. Period.

#212 9 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

The more I think about it today the more I want to bail
Stern can't finish shit on a familiar platform. How can I beleive they can finish WWE on a new platform?
I can't have a $7K+ toy with missing modes, worthless inserts, missing LE features, bugs, years of being stroked & possibly never seeing code completed.
Life is short so I'm gonna buy something but it's unlikely to ever be a new release.

Well and there's no Premium right now. Maybe there will be, maybe there won't. If there isn't do you really think they're going to spend much time coding stuff for the 400 LEs, that are already sold? That project will keep getting kicked down the road.

The interview with JT was cool, but it also revealed how unfinished the code is. The game is supposedly about to ship. So this is obviously business as usual on this one, SPIKE ain't changing shit about coding last minute and half assed.

Anyone who's pre-ordering the LE (that we haven't even seen) strikes me as being somewhat foolish. Just say no!

It's not selling out in 5 hours. Hell you can pick up a nice HUO TWDLE right this minute. There's no point in rushing to be first.

#213 9 years ago

Better to have it out there I a general market than in our hands freaking out over what we will certainly notice. Maybe it's strategery..

#214 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Star Trek, which I bought because I really wanted to do an alt translite for it. So in that sense it wasn't a total waste.

OT: and thankfully you did. Made this ridiculous wait somewhat more manageable. Shameless plug for your TL.

#215 9 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

It will never change because it's unreasonable and not the way software development works anymore. I wish it did, but it doesn't. Take Star Trek for instance, by some accounts, the game isn't done yet. Would you rather not have that machine even yet today? And if so, how would Stern stay in business? It takes the same amount of time, it's just if you want to play it in the process.

Then you are making my point for me.

Wait, have a little patience. Don't buy Nib until the software is finished to an acceptable point and you've had a chance to play it first.

Obviously, a whole lot of people don't agree with that common sense approach, whatever.

As for Star Trek, the programmer obviously makes a big difference. My other point, I won't buy any Stern now unless Lyman is the guy. I'll let the rest of you guys beta test it. Thanks!

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#217 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

ALL I want is a list of expected code features and a promise of when they will be complete.
Stern not only does not communicate, they fail to control the message which to me is a failure.
Them simply stating what the code is planned to be and a ruleset would help greatly.
Granted this will undershoot what they may end up with, but will help set proper expectations rather than forever leaving steady supporters and customers in the "hope" phase which just builds resentment and anger towards the company.
I personally think they should 'allow' people to hack and code on the back end. Sad part is that they could likely find people that would complete the code for FREE that are already part of the community.

Exactly, is a little communication too much to ask when you are shelling out 8k for an Le? Or even 5k for a pro?

That's the whole point, I'm not gonna do it. I'll happily let the other down voters that don't agree with me be the beta testers and carry the frustration for years like with Star Trek.

To be clear, I'm obviously NOT saying for Ops to not buy Nib, rock and roll, its part of your business.

#218 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Anyone who's pre-ordering the LE (that we haven't even seen) strikes me as being somewhat foolish. Just say no!

It's not selling out in 5 hours. Hell you can pick up a nice HUO TWDLE right this minute. There's no point in rushing to be first.

Amen brother!

Quoted from PW79:

Amen brother!

You were really messing with us right? You didn't really pre order an LE?

#219 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Then you are making my point for me.
Wait, have a little patience. Don't buy Nib until the software is finished to an acceptable point and you've had a chance to play it first.

I'm taking the pledge....buuut, you know it's hard if the theme resonates with you bigtime. Doesn't seem like anyone here is that passionate about wrestling, so it's easy. Something like Lebowski on the other hand - I'm hooked by theme. I feel like almost all my dream themes have been made at this point....so it should be easy for me to abstain from now on. Then again, if someone does RUSH ...I'll probably have to break the pledge lol.

#220 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm taking the pledge....buuut, you know it's hard if the theme resonates with you bigtime. Doesn't seem like anyone here is that passionate about wrestling, so it's easy. Something like Lebowski on the other hand - I'm hooked by theme. I feel like almost all my dream themes have been made at this point....so it should be easy for me to abstain from now on. Then again, if someone does RUSH ...I'll probably have to break the pledge lol.

I'm still happy to wait, even on the themes that really grab me.
TBL, ALIEN and Hobbit are all must have themes for me but I wont buy until they are here and I have played them.
I did put a 1k deposit down on Hobbit which does go against my grain but the remainder does not have to be paid until the game arrives and I am satisfied with it. This type of arrangement is the way to go imo.

#221 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Amen brother!

Amen brother!
You were really messing with us right? You didn't really pre order an LE?

I indeed made a deposit on a WWE LE

Don't give me shit you bought a F'n WOZ

I'm back to normal PW79 now. Somehow I forgot Stern takes years/infinity/never to finish games.

Truthfully last night I was also considering buying 3 NIB Pros all at once from the same Distro to get a really good price. My idea was to order a MET, ST & WWE. For reals, that would be fun & cost less than a used shitty Kia.

But Stern doesn't manufacture complete games. Only "out of production" games have a chance of being finished.

Aurich you brought up a point I pondered earlier today. If no premiums are sold will Stern code LE features for 400 people? Nope, ask that STLE meteor

#222 9 years ago

I pledge, well unless Braveheart or The Walking Dead is done with the actors actual call-outs and music and is more fun to play than the current one. Then I unpledge.

I agree, I am out unless "dream themes" come along, which there aren't too many I can think of that would make me buy NIB anymore(from Stern).Walking Dead was one of my dream themes and that failed for me and I didn't buy it so I am stronger than I thought. I still am hopeful JJP delivers good products out the door with good code and hopefully DP and Heighway do as well. I'm not opposed to buying NIB if I get good working code out of the box and it's updated quickly along the way. Stern has kicked me in the nuts enough times that they don't fall in this category so I won't buy from them until they change that model(not to mention the LE - Premium later nut kicking is lame as well)

#223 9 years ago

Wasn't there a thread early last year " Take the PLUNGE..........Send your money to DP"?

#224 9 years ago

I wouldn't even accept one as a gift!

#225 9 years ago

Jeez, the simple answer is always PLAY IT FIRST. I got ST NIB, but I played it first so I knew what I was getting. Sure, I want Stern to hurry up and finish the code. Make my potato flashers work - hello! ....but I knew what I was getting, and about one year later I'm still happy with it.

#226 9 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

But Stern doesn't manufacture complete games. Only "out of production" games have a chance of being finished.

Aurich you brought up a point I pondered earlier today. If no premiums are sold will Stern code LE features for 400 people? Nope, ask that STLE meteor

You got it! I thought maybe somebody hacked your account Curly. Now you are thinking clearly.

Woz isn't the only stupid thing I've ever done, I'm trying to learn from my mistakes.

Quoted from bemmett:

I agree, I am out unless "dream themes" come along, which there aren't too many I can think of that would make me buy NIB anymore(from Stern)

My only exception as well, like with TWD and I'm happy with it so far, but if they kick me in the nuts and don't finish it for another two years or ever then I'll go Walter White on them.

#227 9 years ago

I'll buy one just as soon as I get delivery of my RAZA..... not too soon....

#228 9 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Truthfully last night I was also considering buying 3 NIB Pros all at once from the same Distro to get a really good price. My idea was to order a MET, ST & WWE. For reals, that would be fun & cost less than a used shitty Kia.

Just get Metallica. Star Trek isn't worth buying with the code as is. I'm sure eventually it will get another update, but who knows what it will even bring.

#229 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Then again, if someone does RUSH ...I'll probably have to break the pledge lol.

I will pledge to break my pledge of no pre-orders if they do a RUSH pin. You with me brotha?!

#230 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Star Trek isn't worth buying with the code as is.

Much respect, but I've got to disagree here. Talk to Eskaybee, he can talk some serious strats and stacking for ST. ...and the lightshow on the Premium rivals anything out there IMHO.

#231 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Just get Metallica. Star Trek isn't worth buying with the code as is.

Oh Contraire..... Let me retort...

oh_i_q_it_by_ficklefal-d4iiuie.pngoh_i_q_it_by_ficklefal-d4iiuie.png

#232 9 years ago

I could never pay more than $5K for a pinball machine. I think my wife would put me in the dog house and I'd have buyers remorse for spending that much.

#233 9 years ago

I love Tron and still agonized over a really good deal on a used one that came up locally. It cost more than my entire collection up to that point. I can't imagine buying a new pin based on theme alone.

#234 9 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Much respect, but I've got to disagree here. Talk to Eskaybee, he can talk some serious strats and stacking for ST. ...and the lightshow on the Premium rivals anything out there IMHO.

Strat-schmatt...as long as the extra lights have no code and it's got bugs, there's no reason to buy one at this time.

#235 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I wouldn't sell my TWDLE now but I'd buy AMH before I buy any other Stern pin Nib again, Wooly too for that matter.
Now I might be willing to sell my Woz for an AMH.

AMH is great and I highly recommend it with the new code and all. It's a deep game

#236 9 years ago

I don't get how Stern can me so late with code updates. I am not saying that coding anything is easy - but it seems that they would have a lot of solid examples, and source code to pull from, libraries, internal frameworks, etc.

#237 9 years ago

D-bag post. If you don't want to purchase it fine, I'll buy what I want.

#238 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I don't get how Stern can me so late with code updates. I am not saying that coding anything is easy - but it seems that they would have a lot of solid examples, and source code to pull from, libraries, etc.

They kinda did that on the "cheap era" games - Iron Man, Avatar, Rolling Stones, Tron and Big Buck Hunter all have similar "cut & paste" rules. Once they started making different style layouts/rulesets again, it was harder to cut & paste old code.

#239 9 years ago

No more NIB for me until Stern has a proven track record to complete code releases... Sorry guys I actually do not mind the theme and probably could have bought an Undertaker LE and for that matter a Mustang LE, but sorry Stern it ain't happening. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!!!! Prove me wrong, make me a buying customer again...

#240 9 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I know Eskaybee loves it. Meanwhile he's tired of Metallica and I still play mine nightly.

Actually the lightshow is really a double edged sword. Yes, the RGBs on my Premium look great. But they also serve to remind me that the rules use them so badly. And it's just a shame. A real missed opportunity since the Pro has the RGB inserts too, there was no reason the rules couldn't have been so much more creative around the use of color.

Not to mention the useless asteroids. Which I don't even care about that much, it's more of the principle of it. They're sitting there, hanging in your face, and more than a year after the game came out they're still useless lumps. It's a great visual metaphor for how much Stern cares.

The update had a lot of work done to it before it got broken again, maybe they'll make time to fix it and get it out there. They can do it while people bitching about how incomplete WWE is.

#241 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It won't "sell well" if people finally take a stand and don't buy until they play it and Stern starts finishing code the right way.
It's a new day, new year, time to make a change!
Buy AFTER complete code and you've played it.
Btw Dispinballer, you need to change your rating system. You give Twd a 2.0 and ST a 10 along with POTC and other shit?

This is a machine that will rot NIB years later. It will get stored next to Transformers, Avengers and Mustang. You don't have to boycott this machine. This will be a one and done and they will move on to another machine with hit or miss results. Hopefully we get a Guardians of The Galaxy (Groot Multiball please) along with a Star Wars pin. Obviously WWE pulled into Gary Stern's driveway with a brinks truck.

#242 9 years ago

I certainly don't want to turn this into a JJP vs Stern on the coding, and yes Stern has way more games. But it seems to me that Keith is taking personal pride in making sure that JJP pins have solid code, and frequent updates.

Keith is a big reason I am optimistic about The Hobbit - I feel it is very likely to have great code day 1, and even better code after rollout in sprint fashion.

#243 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I certainly don't want to turn this into a JJP vs Stern on the coding, and yes Stern has way more games. But it seems to me that Keith is taking personal pride in making sure that JJP pins have solid code, and frequent updates.
Keith is a big reason I am optimistic about The Hobbit - I feel it is very likely to have great code day 1, and even better code after rollout in sprint fashion.

Um... maybe. But people were really optimistic with WoZ, speculation about Keith having a super secret code vault that was going to spill open on release (all showing of code to date was super rudimentary)... and that did not happen. Sound familiar?

I would expect rudimentary initial code, with lots of follow up. And if your are surprised on release, then icing on the cake.

#244 9 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

I'm still happy to wait, even on the themes that really grab me.
TBL, ALIEN and Hobbit are all must have themes for me but I wont buy until they are here and I have played them.
I did put a 1k deposit down on Hobbit which does go against my grain but the remainder does not have to be paid until the game arrives and I am satisfied with it. This type of arrangement is the way to go imo.

So your saying if you send jjp 1k they will send a hobbit to your home to play and if you like it then you send the rest of the money?

#245 9 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

So your saying if you send jjp 1k they will send a hobbit to your home to play and if you like it then you send the rest of the money?

No, this is with the distributor in Australia.

#246 9 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

No, this is with the distributor in Australia.

That makes sense....I thought it sounded too good to be true!

#247 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's a great visual metaphor for how much Stern cares.

So true. It really is.

And what was ST all about? I know because I was part of the feeding frenzy rushing to get a deposit down on an LE after the MET LE Cluster F.

So they jack up the price to record heights for Stern, jack up the numbers to 799 on the LE (I still don't believe they are all out there).

LCD's and Ritchie, Lasers etc. It was hype train city and then Stern ripped the NADS right off all of the flippers by simply pocketing 100% of the flipper profit.

Haven't seen much "flipper" talk or threads in quite some time right? No margin left after MET.

Who gets shafted? The end consumer, just like the ridiculous "laser light show".

Then came Mustang and then went Mustang, quickly.

TWD blesses us with optimism again. Stern agonizes over how many LE's they should produce to extract the max profit out of dummies like me.

No premium they say, its a new day there and new approach. Whoops, looks like the LE's sold real well and boy howdy, here come the premiums.

It wasn't enough that they F ed people on that move, ok, no biggie, but then the LE differences versus the premium just don't add up for the money so they have to take it to an even higher level.

$399 for a topper, a great one I might add, but one that should have been included you'd think on the LE?

After all, now we have an $8k pin with topper, big whoop, and it sits close enough to my LOTR LE, that was almost 3k less.

I love the pin, but I'm not loving any more $8k overpriced and under featured pins any more

#248 9 years ago

Buy whatever you want with your money. The 20 of you that are all worked up are not going to make a dent or change anything with stern. Everyone knows what you are getting into and the risk you take if you buy NIB without playing the game. You also risk crappy code for a long time an potentially forever. This is not a new approach by stern. It's pretty much always cheaper to wait but if you want the game now it's your money.

I'm not into rasslin but the layout at least looks cool and new. Not sure about it's lastability but I applaud the unique layout. If Ritchie puts out GOT with an LCD later this year stern won't be able to accept my money fast enough crap code or not

#249 9 years ago

I like how it is one of the biggest preorder lemmings who started this thread (sorry Ice, not sure of a more friendly way to put it...).

I am sorry, call me a person of little faith, but I have seen so many apparently otherwise rational people say "no preorders" just to flipflop the second the next game is announced it boggles my mind. If you can keep your wallet in your pocket for a year, I will be surprised.

I just hope you keep enjoying pinball, and your preorder heartaches work out eventually.

#250 9 years ago

Addicts and addict behavior. I need counseling ...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 306 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/take-the-pledgedont-buy-wwe-nib/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.