(Topic ID: 264192)

Tag Team sound issue

By SeymorGoldfarbJr

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I just picked up a non-working Gottlieb Tag Team. I was able to get the game working by re-pinning and reflowing the power supply and installing a known working MPU.

I haven’t been able to get the sound to work.

What I’ve done/tested so far:

-Verified the 5VDC, 12VDC and 12VAC are going to the sound board.
-F1 sound board fuse is good.
-Speaker has 4 Ohms resistance.
-Volume pot changes resistance as you turn the dial.
-Swapped driver boards with another known working driver board.

Any suggestions on what else to check would be appreciated.

#2 4 years ago

Still looking for some 80b sound troubleshooting support.

#3 4 years ago

Clean your headers and repin if necessary after checking continuity. That's the first thing to be done when any new game comes in.

Also, move sound board dip switch SB1-1 to the ON (test) position and the Game Over sound should play repeatedly. If it doesn't, your problem is likely with the sound board itself.

Do you have the manual/schematic?

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from semicolin:

Clean your headers and repin if necessary after checking continuity. That's the first thing to be done when any new game comes in.
Also, move sound board dip switch SB1-1 to the ON (test) position and the Game Over sound should play repeatedly. If it doesn't, your problem is likely with the sound board itself.
Do you have the manual/schematic?

I have cleaned the edge connectors. All single-sided edge connectors in this game are IDC pins and I don't have those to repin the connector. I did set SB1-1 to ON and it did NOT play the game over sound. I also removed and changed the orientation of the DIP switch just in case sw. 1 was not working properly. In no instance did I get the game to play the game over sound.

I do have the manual/schematic.

#5 4 years ago

Well, if the test doesn't work you've got to start narrowing things down.

Before breaking out the oscilloscope, I'd probably look for obviously cracked solder joints and burnt components, and address those first. Reflow the entire board. Also replace any IC sockets with machined ones. Once mechanical issues with corrosion, joints, and bad solder have been ruled out, then it's easier to track down electronic issues. Unfortunately "it doesn't work, please help" isn't going to get you many answers around here. Start with the basic troubleshooting and go from there.

#6 4 years ago

Problem solved. One of the ground plugs was off a row on the transformer panel.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Playfield - Other
Cobra Amusements

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tag-team-sound-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.