(Topic ID: 139269)

TAFG: Replacement cabinet/boards detract in value?

By NJGecko

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by bkaelin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_5.jpeg
image_4.jpeg
image_3.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image_4.jpeg
image_3.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_06721.jpg
IMG_06711.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I picked up a decent TAFG recently. It's all original. It needs to be restored though...cabinet needs to be restored.
What's the opinion on restored original vs replacement? I need to take a good look to see if it's got any major issues besides a chewed up head.

No matter how much time is spent restoring a cabinet, I feel like the lines will never be as sharp and crisp as a brand new one. But originality definitely counts I think...
Regardless it absolutely needs to be re-decaled. And I've got new gold rails, lockdown, etc on the way.

Same thing with the boards. The machine has original boards. I also have a full set of Rottendog boards hanging around.

Just wondering thoughts on keeping the game all original vs brand new replacement....

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

I picked up a decent TAFG recently. It's all original. It needs to be restored though...cabinet needs to be restored.
What's the opinion on restored original vs replacement? I need to take a good look to see if it's got any major issues besides a chewed up head.
No matter how much time is spent restoring a cabinet, I feel like the lines will never be as sharp and crisp as a brand new one. But originality definitely counts I think...
Regardless it absolutely needs to be re-decaled. And I've got new gold rails, lockdown, etc on the way.
Same thing with the boards. The machine has original boards. I also have a full set of Rottendog boards hanging around.
Just wondering thoughts on keeping the game all original vs brand new replacement....

I wouldn't want to spend $7G on a tafg and have it come with rotton dogs.

#3 8 years ago

I can understand that...but on the other hand there is something to be said for having something come that's bulletproofed...

I don't know...just looking for opinions. I haven't made my mind up about anything, and I have all of the original stuff...

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

I think you pretty much answered your own question on the cabinet. Sounds like it needs to be restored. Even if you restore the head and not the cabinet, I think you'll regret it. Once the head is perfect, the cab will look worse and every little defect will stand out.

As for the boards, as long as they're not hacked all to hell, original all the way. No question.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

I can understand that...but on the other hand there is something to be said for having something come that's bulletproofed...
I don't know...just looking for opinions. I haven't made my mind up about anything, and I have all of the original stuff...

Send them to Clive at the Coinop Cauldron. They'll come back bulletproofed.

#6 8 years ago

Thanks Bryan...

It's sitting at the shop, and I only had a quick look last night. I'm going to spend a bit more time checking it over later today and Ill get a better assesment.

Board-wise...original sounds like the way to go...

#7 8 years ago

Reach out to ULMPHARMD. He just did something so amazing with a TAFG. It's a museum piece now. If you can't get him, PM me.

Also, there are a few very reputable board guys on Pinside. Rob Antbiny is my go to guy.

#8 8 years ago

Stick with original boards if at all possible. A replacement cabinet, as long as it's an exact reproduction, won't hurt.

#9 8 years ago

Origional boards, new cab. TAFG cab is special though and must be built right to be proper to origional specs. With new decals, there is no value in origional wood with a bunch of bondo. Better to have new perfect wood.

#10 8 years ago

Normally I would say it's a toss-up on new boards vs original (some will want one, some will want the other), but with a TAFG, or any collectible game, I'd have to go with original.

#11 8 years ago

Hi,
It's not the first time I heard this question, and I wondering why the TAFG would have a lower value with new cabinet decals? How about all the MM, MB, CC, etc.. with new decals, did they loose value on their final price? not sure... so why would it be different for a tafg? At the opposite, having this pin fully restored with domaged decals for the only reason, it has to keep the original ones, would be a lack of taste from my opinion.

#12 8 years ago

Have we reached the point with pinball where "barn find" games are the holy grails? The value of the game should be in how it looks and how it plays. If it is restored or original, if it looks and plays like crap it is not going to be worth as much. If the original boards have been repaired so many times that they are more bus wire than pcb is it still better than a good quality new replacement? If the playfield has been correctly restored and cleared, is it less valuable than letting the original be played to the wood?

People need to figure out if they are in this for the games or the collectible value. We are in a price bubble due to the resurgence of interest in pinball.

If you are in it for the love of the machines and playing pinball, restore it to the level you are comfortable with and so that it plays the way you want it to without worrying about the value when you go to sell it. Your investment is for your personal enjoyment.

If you are in this as an investment, good luck with that. Buy them now and do not take them out of their packages. Hope that in a few years they are worth more than beanie babies.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from WonkoTSane:

Have we reached the point with pinball where "barn find" games are the holy grails? The value of the game should be in how it looks and how it plays. If it is restored or original, if it looks and plays like crap it is not going to be worth as much. If the original boards have been repaired so many times that they are more bus wire than pcb is it still better than a good quality new replacement? If the playfield has been correctly restored and cleared, is it less valuable than letting the original be played to the wood?
People need to figure out if they are in this for the games or the collectible value. We are in a price bubble due to the resurgence of interest in pinball.
If you are in it for the love of the machines and playing pinball, restore it to the level you are comfortable with and so that it plays the way you want it to without worrying about the value when you go to sell it. Your investment is for your personal enjoyment.
If you are in this as an investment, good luck with that. Buy them now and do not take them out of their packages. Hope that in a few years they are worth more than beanie babies.

Um...I'm really not sure where that came from. I've got the machine, and I can play it as it is, but I'm planning to restore it. So I'm just looking for advice on which way is best for the machine.

Nothing to do with the price bubble or whatever. But the reality is that a TAFG IS an investment of sorts and needs to be treated as that. And I'm keenly aware that some things can take away in value. If I said "hey I'm going to paint the cabinet flourescent green and I'm going to sand the playfield down to bare wood" yes..it's my machine, and my choice, and yes, it's going to take away from the value of the machine. But I'm going to restore it, and with any restoration there is a balance between original vs functional replacement. That's all.

I never said a word about not being in the love of this for the hobby. If you've seen any of my posts and restoration threads you would see that very clearly.

#14 8 years ago

For me personally, if the game looks great and plays great then that's all that matters to me. I personally don't care if the boards are not original and would want the most reliable/ stable boards possible. I am not sure if I am in the minority though.

#15 8 years ago

Can we see some pics? Hard to make the call about originality if we don't know how bad it is.

#16 8 years ago

I think TAFG is a completely different animal when talking about replacement cabinets repro parts etc. The way I see it, TAFG is really the same machine as TAF and the extra value is derived from it being set apart as a special edition. Just don't think I would consider throwing down the extra cash for a TAFG vs a TAF if it were not all original. It'd be much cheaper to just turn a TAF into a TAFG if it was only the look I was after and once you've replaced all the parts on a TAFG you've just got the look and it's lost it's true essence right? Kind of like great looking cars with salvage titles.

#17 8 years ago

I value original boards over aftermarket ones. New cabinet is fine though as long as it's a good one.

#18 8 years ago

Couple of pictures.

IMG_06561.jpgIMG_06561.jpg

#19 8 years ago

Definitely need new gold

IMG_06571.jpgIMG_06571.jpg

#20 8 years ago

Inside of cabinet is really nice. Little bit of cleanup will make it fantastic. No mousture, chunks, etc.

IMG_06601.jpgIMG_06601.jpg

IMG_06621.jpgIMG_06621.jpg

IMG_06631.jpgIMG_06631.jpg

#21 8 years ago

Left side of cab not terrible. Some scrapes.

IMG_06641.jpgIMG_06641.jpg

#22 8 years ago

Head isn't wonderful. One chunk, lots of little pieces missing. The plywood is delaminating in a few spots.

IMG_06651.jpgIMG_06651.jpg

IMG_06681.jpgIMG_06681.jpg

#23 8 years ago

Other side of the cab doesn't look too bad from 3' away

IMG_06661.jpgIMG_06661.jpg

#24 8 years ago

But when it went overseas it had "the plate" screwed into the cabinet.

IMG_06671.jpgIMG_06671.jpg

#25 8 years ago

So I'm definitely going to do a new head. No matter what, it needs a good amount of work, and it won't ever be like-new straight.

And I think I'm going to at least do decals. I found a set of TAFG decals. But it's just a matter of whether this cab gets re-done or a replacement cabinet.

After going through it a bit yesterday, I really don't see any major issues with this cabinet, and it would be nice to keep. But I worry that re-doing the decals might not be as clean as brand new wood.

#26 8 years ago

For those asking about the boards

IMG_06701.jpgIMG_06701.jpg
IMG_06691.jpgIMG_06691.jpg
IMG_06711.jpgIMG_06711.jpg
IMG_06721.jpgIMG_06721.jpg

#27 8 years ago

If you can get gold decals I would do a new cab. I would always take a fresh cab with new decals over a rough original. It's not a 69 cuda.

#28 8 years ago

I replaced my TAFG cabinet.

Looks better than new.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

image_2.jpgimage_2.jpg

#29 8 years ago

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image_1.jpegimage_1.jpeg

image_2.jpegimage_2.jpeg

image_3.jpegimage_3.jpeg

image_4.jpegimage_4.jpeg

#30 8 years ago

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image_1.jpegimage_1.jpeg

image_2.jpegimage_2.jpeg

image_3.jpegimage_3.jpeg

image_4.jpegimage_4.jpeg

image_5.jpegimage_5.jpeg

#31 8 years ago

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now that's what I'm talking about. Beautiful TAFG.

#32 8 years ago

No question on the head. A nice quality new head with good decals will enhance the value IMO. Just too much damage on the current one. Cabinet could be a toss up. Might be worth trying your hand at some touch ups and see if you are happy with it. On the other hand will the head decals match the cabinet colors. If not then decals all around.
Clearly for most people with a TAFG an original silkscreened cabinet in excellent condition would be preferred, but a high quality restoration as we know you are capable of doing should be worth nice money for someone looking for an TAFG in that condition. There may be rarer more valuable pinballs but no matter how you slice it there were only 1000 golds made and that was 20 years ago.

What is the plaque number on yours?

#33 8 years ago

I would restore it by replacing the cabinet with a brand new one and keep the original cabinet should you sell it and someone really cares about that.

I would be very excited about a new cabinet with properly installed decals.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I would restore it by replacing the cabinet with a brand new one and keep the original cabinet should you sell it and someone really cares about that.
I would be very excited about a new cabinet with properly installed decals.

Just got done restoring mine with a brand new cabinet with the screened gold decals...looks amazing!

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from sc204:

No question on the head. A nice quality new head with good decals will enhance the value IMO. Just too much damage on the current one. Cabinet could be a toss up. Might be worth trying your hand at some touch ups and see if you are happy with it. On the other hand will the head decals match the cabinet colors. If not then decals all around.
Clearly for most people with a TAFG an original silkscreened cabinet in excellent condition would be preferred, but a high quality restoration as we know you are capable of doing should be worth nice money for someone looking for an TAFG in that condition. There may be rarer more valuable pinballs but no matter how you slice it there were only 1000 golds made and that was 20 years ago.
What is the plaque number on yours?

It's #538. And I have the certificate too

#36 8 years ago

That cabinet doesn't look bad to me at all. It looks original. I have never been put off a pinball machine faster than when it is painfully obvious that new decals have been added. It is definitely dirty with a few extra holes, but you can fill those and put a little touch up paint on them. I originally envisioned the artwork torn down the middle and possibly in a fire. You can always let the next guy restore it.

#37 8 years ago

Does someone build/sell new cabinets? If so, what do they cost?

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from bkaelin:

Does someone build/sell new cabinets? If so, what do they cost?

They are out there but they are not cheap.

http://www.letsplaypinball.com/cabinets.html

#39 8 years ago

Cabinet option would be ok either way but don't replace the playfield with a new repro as then you no longer have a gold. The original playfield in the game under black light will have a serial # that will match what is on the sticker inside the game.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

It's #538. And I have the certificate too

Just curious if it was on the TAFG owners list. 536, and 537 listed , not 538.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

But when it went overseas it had "the plate" screwed into the cabinet.

IMG_06671.jpg

What happened here? My Doctor Who has these screw holes as well.

2 years later
#42 6 years ago
Quoted from MarcG:

It's not a 69 cuda.

THIS! Hey, it's only pinball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 1,159.00
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

16,000 (OBO)
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet Parts
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

30,000 (OBO)
$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tafg-replacement-cabinetboards-detract-in-value and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.