Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by davewtf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Have an opportunity to buy either TAF or TZ- both same price- TAF slightly better condition- and TZ is re-import. Struggling with which one to go with- played TAF lot more- not real familiar with TZ. Thanks in advance for your help.
scott

#2 12 years ago

Personally, I'd go with TAF. It is far more accessible to non-pinheads (important if you have people over frequently) and just a lot more fun to play IMO. I've really tried to learn to like TZ, but still don't care for it much. Not a bad pin, but there are a lot of others I would buy before it.

#3 12 years ago

TZ for sure.

Witchever one you don't pick I might want since we're both in Michigan. Let me know

#4 12 years ago

Tough call. I have and love both. Great themes, both mode based.

TZ was my favorite very early on so I'd probably lean more towards that one personally. The widebody would complement your IJ nicely. Then again, you say the TAF is in slightly better condition...

I think you'll be happy with either one. Or, just bite the bullet and get both!

#5 12 years ago

Yeah, I'd go with TZ too. I own one, so consider the opinion biased, but I've played TAF many times and I just can't seem to get into it. I'd like to own one someday, but I struggle to pull the trigger, and I can't figure out why. I love the Addams Family, so the theme is right. Just doesn't pull me in like TZ does.

#6 12 years ago

Find a way to buy both!

The solution is so simple.

#7 12 years ago

TAF is the greatest creation known to man.

#9 12 years ago

Both great games. TZ is deeper. TAF is more fun to just walk up and shoot around on.

#10 12 years ago

TZ for yourself; TAF for the family. But yea, what Gambit said is right on the money about both.

#11 12 years ago

I also own both, and I'd go with Addams. TZ is deeper, for sure, but Addams has a personality.

Both are GREAT games, good luck with your "struggle".

-F

#12 12 years ago

I own TAF and have played alot of games on TZ.
Personal preference I don't think you can go wrong.

Maybe just decide which has the best price for condition or simply which is in the nicer condition.

Wish you the best

ENJOY

#13 12 years ago

TZ is more of a players game and one that ppl love to mod. TAF is fun for everyone. Can't go wrong with either, I own both. Purchase both pins and then sell the one you like the least.

#14 12 years ago

TZ is a chore to play unless you're playing well. TAF puts a smile on my face regardless of how i play. i vote taf.

#15 12 years ago

Have both. TAF has a wider audience at our house, but both are equally awesome games. You won't go wrong with either one. Enjoy!

Brian

#16 12 years ago

Since you are looking for opinions.... TZ X 10! I cannot get into TAF for some reason (and played it tonite!). I own and love TZ. It is so strategic with lots of things to get obsessed with (I love the Dead End, Power Field and Gum Ball). Sorry to TAF lovers, but no contest for me.... (I actually want to love TAF, but don't yet...)

#17 12 years ago

TZ by a mile (and I own both games FWIW).

#18 12 years ago

Thanks for all the feed back. Will let you know which way I decide.

#19 12 years ago

I own both and TAF is my strong preference. My TZ might be going up for sale soon too.

TZ is deep with cool toys. Newbies don't play it and while I respect the hell out of the design, toys and tie into theme - I struggle to really enjoy it for a long time. TAF is a keeper for me. Game everyone will walk up an play, layout is cool, one of the best multiball sequences, another strong theme tie in, and blast to play.

Either one can't go wrong.

#20 12 years ago

I owned both, then sold my entire collection. When I got back into pins, TZ was at the top of my must have list and currently own it. I don't have enough interest in TAF to buy it back again. So, obviously, I strongly prefer TZ.

#21 12 years ago

I own both. I would definitely go with TZ over TAF. TAF is more fun and has more personality but not nearly as deep and I can see myself getting bored of it already... I have only had it a couple of months now. I have had TZ for 12 years and I still enjoy playing it.

#22 12 years ago

Which theme do you like more? I would pick that one. Both are great games which are easy to find

#23 12 years ago

My wife and I owned both. We sold TZ and still have TAF. For us, TZ was sort of a chore to play, probably because of our skill level more than anything else. TAF seems more exciting / flashy to us and we found ourselves playing TAF much more than TZ. With that said, it all comes down to personal preference. Think about what draws you to the pin the most...the play, the sound effects, the artwork, the theme...then when you can't decide, do what comes naturally --- buy both!

#24 12 years ago

Like most here I have both. I would suggest TAF to start off your collection. TZ is just a more complex game (both from a mechanical and a rule-set point of view). I also think the TAF theme is more coherent and approachable. TZ can appear a bit fragmented and hard to follow if your not used to the game.
On the other hand, I think TAF will always be easier to find than a TZ so, if you get the chance at a decent TZ for a fair price, snap it up while you can. TAF was the most produced game in history and you should not have any issue getting one later. You must be a Pat Lawlor fan!

#25 12 years ago

I struggled with the same decision in 1997 and ended up with the TZ. The complexity and deep rule set kept me happy for a very long time. I bought a TAF a few weeks ago so I finally have both. I'm glad I went with the TZ first.

#26 12 years ago

tz my first game and does continue to hold my interest, for smaller collection better game, maybe not 1st game people walk up to , but if you're more concerned about how it holds up for you tz

#27 12 years ago

TAF - Had both, TZ was not nearly as much fun especialy when people are over and want to play a few games - The crowd gets bored quick - TAF on the other hand all I can say is "IT's Show Time!"

#28 12 years ago

I have to concur, TAF is a true crowd pleaser, TZ is totally awesome, but seems to appeal to advanced players more then casual players. TAF will get the heck played out of it where TZ will get moderate play. I have had both, TAF remains. Both excellent PLaw games, cannot really go wrong either way.

#29 12 years ago

TZ is a players game, rule sets, shot selection, stacking, modes, tons of toys.

TAF is a fun all around game and is more approachable for non pin heads.

Both great games!

Tons of mods for both games if you like that stuff.

Same designer

Can't go wrong with either one.

#30 12 years ago

Both awsome games, but TZ is one of a kind!!!

#31 12 years ago

Good news is either one you will be able to trade or sell quickly if you so desired. I personally like TZ better.

#32 12 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Good news is either one you will be able to trade or sell quickly if you so desired.

i haven't come to that same conclusion.

#33 12 years ago

TZ is a great pin, but I think TAF would suit you better.

#34 12 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

They both sell pretty quickly in my area if fairly priced.

#35 12 years ago

Chop chop quick round here.

#36 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

TAF is the greatest creation known to man.

You meant to say the most overrated pin known to man, right?

TZ in a landslide.

#37 12 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You meant to say the most overrated pin known to man, right?

TZ in a landslide.

While I agree with this statement,

TAF has the instant fun factor, TZ is a thinking game. I personally like TZ more then TAF, but TAF has curb appeal and is a blast to play, even if you are not that good, but still manages to present a challenge to more advanced players too. It appeals to a wider audience with a well executed, very popular theme. It gets you excited and energized by the plot unraveling quickly. It gets played, a lot.

#38 12 years ago

davewth said:

Sorry, dude, i was talking about the trade aspect and not selling. I wasn't arguing the sell if priced right part. I abide.

#39 12 years ago

Thanks for all your input. Got to play a bunch of games on a TZ last night- deep game- but I have lots of deep games in line up- so thinnk I will go with TAF.

Update- just picked up a HUO Tron Pro with 70 plays( same price as others)- so may neeed to wait a few weeks before I have cash to pick up TAF.

You guys are awesome- thanks for the help.
scott

#40 12 years ago
Quoted from pin15:

Got to play a bunch of games on a TZ last night- deep game- but I have lots of deep games in line up- so thinnk I will go with TAF.

you choose wisely... congrats on the tron, also! Great game, would be ranked higher if b/w made it (i think).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 29.95
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-vs-tz-need-some-advice-not-sure-which-one and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.