8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Thing_Hand.jpg

#1 8 years ago

Have a small issue on my TAF. For a few months now, when things hand comes out during the Thing bonus, the hand takes the ball down then brings back the ball as normal, drops the ball back into the saucer then instead of returning inside the box, the hand stops just an inch above the saucer. The hand will stay there until the multiball function starts to collect the balls from the same saucer. The hand will then drop back inside the box, return to the saucer, collects the ball as normal and return inside the box. most of the time only during Things function.

Now and then during the start to the multiball function, as it collects a ball from the saucer to take inside thebox. it drops the ball after an inch then the hand remains in that position, like before, wont engage until another ball is placed inside the saucer. If i turn the game off, the hand will not reset when the machine is turned back on. The only time the hand returns to it's bed is when a ball is in the saucer and it is meant to be picked up for one of the functions.

#2 8 years ago

This is a wild guess as I'm not at home to look at mine, but is there a "home" switch for the hand? If so, sounds to me like that switch is flaky and thinks it's closed (it thinks the hand has returned home and doesn't move again until the saucer switch tells it to go again).

I'd start there with a switch test. If the switch is functional move on to the Thing test and report back exactly what happens.

#3 8 years ago

Hi,
many thanks for your response. I have done the tests and all are working fine. When the game first gets switched on, it's fine for a while, then after a game or two, then it starts going funny. Sort of when it gets warm, then it's plays up. My machine is in a corner so i cant look right now as i cant get in close to the back from the front. Are you saying there is a microswitch there or something.

#4 8 years ago

There are two optos for the up and down positions home.
You may clean them with a q-tip.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5 8 years ago

Where are the optos situated?

I went through the testing for thing and everything was normal. When i went back into the game, everything worked right. Stayed playing for over an hour and perfect.
When i switched the game on a day or two later, it all started going wrong again with things hand stopping just over the saucer as before. I got curious, so did the test again then started playing games. Worked fine again. The test seems to be resetting something, similar to when you switch a computer of and back on, or is it just coincidence.

Help appreciated.

#6 8 years ago

On the small board, you will see a black plastic that kind of does a U shape. That is the opto and the metal piece that rotates with the hand is what seperates the connection.

Thing_Hand.jpgThing_Hand.jpg
#7 8 years ago

nice one. i'll have a look and let you know.

#8 8 years ago

I had the same issue.The problem with mine was the proper placement of the metal vane that goes thru the opto.I had to loosen the set screw and make a minor adjustment on the vane,a very minor adjustment.If your hand isn't going down all the way barely move the vane forward so it takes longer for the opto to see it.Then your hand will go back down into the box.
Make sure you move it the right way or it will get worse and the hand will stay up even farther.

#9 8 years ago

thanks to you both. Futurepinhead. I removed the whole hand and cleaned the optos. worked perfectly. The vane was in the right place. when i took this part and saw how the optos worked, i figured that could be a problem but went with the dirty optos first. The vane would have been my next step. who ever previously tightened up the vane before my ownership, had over-tightened the grub screw. it took alot of force to undo the grub screw. It was that tight, it had in-bedded into the small bar it was on. It was seated correctly though so one thing good from this. It would have been difficult to adjust the seating if it needed to, as it would have slipped into the original position due to the flattened area where the grub screw was overtightened.
thanks for you feedback. this issue is closed as it is rectified.
much appreciated.
mike

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball
Rubber/Silicone
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-things-hand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.