(Topic ID: 218704)

TAF Thing (UL) Flipper Not Working

By toeskneez

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi, I have an unusual problem with my The Addams Family and it is now driving me insane!

I installed an off the board battery holder on my WPC CPU board, a relatively simple job. I did my other machines also. Now I am not sure that this has caused the issue or whether it was just bad timing!

When I powered the machine up, the upper left flipper (The Thing Flipper!) went slowly up held for a second and then went back down and now it does not work anymore. I have checked for power at the solenoid and there is none. There is also none at J802 terminals 1 & 3 on the Fliptronics I board, which are for the flipper. I tried to test the TIP36C transistor as best I could and it seems it is exactly the same readings as the other 3 TIP's.

I swapped the board around with my Twilight Zone Fliptronics II board and it still did not work.

I have a basic electronics understanding and am quite happy with testing circuits etc. and following wires. I cannot for the life of me find anything that the power and holding circuit have in common as I think this may be the issue.

I have checked all wiring and the EOS switch and flipper switch wiring and am now left scratching my head and hoping someone with heaps more nouse than me can help me figure out what is wrong.

Thanks in advance to anyone suggesting advice. It may take me a bit to get back to you all as I am working the weekend, but will certainly be checking with interest.

#2 5 years ago

Currently, I think you have a blown fuse. Test out F101 and F102 on the power driver board.

#3 5 years ago

Double post.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from CadillacMusic:

Yeah, you probably blew the fuse. If you replace the fuses, it should work with your TZ fliptronic. Your other fliptronic, however, probably has a blown transistor. It may not be the 36c, but the tip 102 that drives the flipper. Measure all your tip 102s on the original fliptronic board.

#5 5 years ago

Also recheck your ribbon cables, its easy to get off a row and not see it.

#6 5 years ago

Hi everyone. Have tried all these, apart from the transistors. I think I will swap out a good transistor with the one I think is common and faulty to the Thing flipper. Any more tips greatly appreciated.

The other thing with this is from what I can tell there is nothing common to both the flip and hold coil apart from the earth, but that seems fine?

#7 5 years ago

Hey all. Fresh update on this issue.

I am happy to admit I am a nitwit!! I missed the little flipper circuit board on the right hand side of the back board, which holds 2 fuses. F901 and F902, which I think is the ones PinballManiac40 may have meant instead of 101 and 102!!

Anyways, F901 was blown. Replaced it and all is good with the world again!! Thanks for all the help and advice!

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from toeskneez:

Anyways, F901 was blown. Replaced it and all is good with the world again!! Thanks for all the help and advice!

Nice work!

I believe that a blown transistor would always result in the coil being locked on...so don't go replacing transistors unless that's happening.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from toeskneez:

Hey all. Fresh update on this issue.
I am happy to admit I am a nitwit!! I missed the little flipper circuit board on the right hand side of the back board, which holds 2 fuses. F901 and F902, which I think is the ones pinballmaniac40 may have meant instead of 101 and 102!!

I actually did mean F101 and F102 on the power driver board, but it does seem only the Main lower flippers are going through those. Sorry, I don't know TAF that well and didn't look it up in the manual.

Any case, good catch. Play ball !!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 180.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 1,159.00
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 159.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-thing-ul-flipper-not-working?hl=toeskneez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.