Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by terryb
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I had to switch out my solenoid driver board on TAF to a TZ I was working on. Now, after putting the driver board back into my TAF, the Thing magnet no longer works, so Thing won't pick up the ball. I don't have power to connector J130-7 nor is there power to the transistors for it, Q65 and Q66. Any ideas on what to check from here? All other solenoids and flashers work, so it's not a bad fuse, unless there's some hidden fuse just for Thing's magnet. Could the issue be coming from the MPU board?

Any help would be awesome.

#2 9 years ago

First check and see if you have power at the magnet. Pull the connector to the hand and test there. If you have voltage there then it's fairly common for the magnet wires to break inside of the hand. With the game off check continuity across the magnet.

#3 9 years ago

I appreciate the help. I actually took the entire thing mechanism apart and no breaks and continuity. Pretty sure there's an issue at the driver board or mpu as there's no power to the connector or even the transistor. Just not sure what else to check at this point.

#4 9 years ago

Ground is switched rather than power. The power comes from the PDB (F105 and then J107 pin 3) and goes to the magnet then to J130-7 and then ground is switched at Q66. So if you don't have power at J130-7 then the problem is prior to that point (either no power from the PDB--although if the other high power solenoids are working that's probably not the problem--or the connection is broken). So check voltage at the connector (J107) and then at the magnet.

#5 9 years ago

Check for broken solder joints on the board since it happened after a board change.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Ground is switched rather than power. The power comes from the PDB (F105 and then J107 pin 3) and goes to the magnet then to J130-7 and then ground is switched at Q66. So if you don't have power at J130-7 then the problem is prior to that point (either no power from the PDB--although if the other high power solenoids are working that's probably not the problem--or the connection is broken). So check voltage at the connector (J107) and then at the magnet.

Now that's interesting, so the power is going to J130-7 and not from it. Not with the machine today but know I have power coming in from the one wire to the connector to Thing. So power should run through the J107 wire to the mag, then back through the J130-7 wire? If that's the case, then there's definitely an issue either with the mag itself or the wiring harness that connects those two wires to the mag. Will delve back into this tomorrow and post any updates. Thanks again.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from LilRocky:

So power should run through the J107 wire to the mag, then back through the J130-7 wire?

Correct.

#8 9 years ago

Alright, the power to J130-7 is not the problem any longer and is now working again. I have a temporary wire nut in place on this wire which had come loose. However, the Thing magnet is still not functioning. I will be checking U5 for pulses once I get a logic probe, but if anyone can think of any other items I should check, I'm all ears.

I have replaced the wire directly from the mag to J130-7, replaced both transistors responsible for the mag, and also replaced a diode for it, all to no avail.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from LilRocky:

I have replaced the wire directly from the mag to J130-7, replaced both transistors responsible for the mag, and also replaced a diode for it, all to no avail.

I would double-check continuity on any of the work you've done. It's easy to lift a trace or blow out a through-hole on these old boards. Other than that, if you've got voltage at J130-7 that confirms all the wiring is good up to the board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-thing-magnet-doesnt-work and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.