Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Bronty
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

#1 7 years ago

Hi All,

So please go easy on me, and explain things, if you are kind enough, will small and easily understandable words LOL

I have had a TAF for about a month and I love it, my first machine and the one I played in high school.

However, it seems the thing, when it retrives the ball from the saucer (on skill shots and ball locks and such) doesn't get quite enough clearance to pass the metal lip that it needs to clear, and so the ball contacts the lip and causes a tiny skip in the motion of the hand.

At first I didn't notice anything. Then I thought it was my imagination. Then I saw there was clearly contact every time the thing hand came up with the ball.

Then, since I couldn't stop myself from playing, came the moment I was dreading. Thing locked up completely.

I turned the machine off and restarted. Startup test told me to check Up Opto S-85.

I consulted that scary lookin' manual for the first time. It told me about the test modes, so I ran both the motor test and the operation test. "T15" as it came with the collector's edition mod (even though its a standard machine).

To my surprise, thing regained function as a result of the test mode, and is now operational. However, it is still clearly contacting the metal lip with the pinball so I'm sure its just a matter of time before there's a larger issue. Clearly something is wrong.

My pinball repair experience is nil. This is my first problem to tackle (there was an issue briefly with power that the seller was able to help me with).

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Left to my own devices I guess I would be opening up the thing box on the bottom side of the playfield and trying to replace opto 2 which the manual says is the up opto. However, I wonder if the problem may be something else - perhaps the machine is gave the up opto diagnostic simply because the contact stopped the up operation once. Since the thing went back to operation, I don't see the up upto diagnostic. (although I'm unclear on whether I can test the switches in test mode - I think I can, I didn't have enough time last night and will do tonight).

However, if an opto is a switch (shows what I know) then I presume it either works or it doesn't? Meaning the real issue is probably the lack of clearance, mechanically, as opposed to a switch issue?

Kindly appreciate any feedback!

#2 7 years ago

The ball contacting the guide rail or plastic box seems to be pretty normal. It kind of catches it but shouldn't get hung up. Most TAFs I've seen do that.

If there's an opto problem being reported, there's a U-shaped opto (transmitter/receiver) in a u-shaped black plastic housing on the hand mounted motor board that tells the hand when it full out and full retracted. They go bad, but more commonly the solder pins under the opto get cracked and solder needs to be reflowed. There are 2 u-shaped opto packages on that board so best to reflow both while it's out. Check the connector going to that board. Those crack too so might reflow those as well.

#3 7 years ago

There is a chance the whole hand assembly is not screwed down where it was new. Take out the two screws securing Thing's Box to the bottom of the field. Yes you are going to have to take the balls out and raise the field up against the backbox. Secure it so it doesn't fall on you. Look at the wood around the hand assembly's screws. If you see unpopulated holes...those are probably factory holes that were stripped out for your convenience.

#4 7 years ago

Check this thread. It might help you. I don't know if you are having the exact same issue, but it sounds very similar.

#5 7 years ago

I had a similar problem. Maybe my thread will help. you have a manual, right?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-thing-being-uncooperative

#6 7 years ago

thanks guys! I will read through this now!

#7 7 years ago

Problems are spreading Bookcase stopped working out of the blue.

Error reports now include to check the switches (53-56) for the bookcase, the optos for the bookcase (1-4), the thing limit optos, and thing up opto s-85.

oy vey.

#8 7 years ago

in test mode, the bookcase is unable to operate.

I got the glass off and had a look underneath. I found it interesting to see it all from the bottom side and have a good look.

Of course, I promptly had a nice rookie moment and forgot to take the pinballs out and had them crash to the bottom of the cabinet LOL. I don't think they did any damage... fingers crossed.

#9 7 years ago

Would it be fair to assume these problems (the thing and the bookcase) are independent and have nothing to do with each other?

Second as the bookcase is totally non operational, and as all four switches are out and the motor wont run in test mode, is it a fair guess that its a power issue as opposed to mechanical? I'm thinking that if the motor went or something like that, then at least the switches would still work, and that if the whole area is having trouble, it must be power?

#10 7 years ago

I wish I could help you but I don't want to give you the wrong advise. You have several issues going on. Why don't you post this on the Addams Family Club Thread? I'm sure you can get a lot more help there.

#11 7 years ago

I would remove the thing box under the playfield, put the machine in test mode and operate thing. Maybe something is stuck or preventing it from working correctly. Rule out anything mechanical or electrical and then move on to software related issues.

#12 7 years ago

Thank you. I'll try that. I know I'm probably not giving anyone enough info to go on , just a little intimidated as I was hoping my first project would be, you know, a clean and wax not taking apart assemblies I don't know what I don't know at this point

#13 7 years ago

Wiggle J122 on the Power Driver Board - meaning, physically disconnect it and then reconnect it.

If that doesn't fix it, power the game off, put it in test bookcase mode, and have it running. While the bookcase test is running, gently wiggle/press on J122. See if the bookcase all of a sudden starts moving. If so, you have a bad connection at J122.

When my Thing stopped working last week, I got opto errors that are "false positive", meaning the optos are fine; they're just not getting tripped because the motors on the bookcase and Thing are not operating. If those aren't operating, the optos are not being engaged. So basically, what I am saying, once you get the bookcase/Thing sorted out, the optos will be registered, and all those errors will more than likely go "POOF!".

#14 7 years ago

I will try that tonight! thanks!

#15 7 years ago

Tried the J122 but no luck

#16 7 years ago

Hope you guys don't mind if i document the baby steps as I go so that I remember what I've done and haven't .

I tried the j122 steps above.

After that I lifted up the playfield a few times just to get a look at things and see there are basically three wiring connections under the playfield to the bookcase. The plastic connectors have a little locking tab on them and I planned on disconnecting them to take the bookcase out for a look see. However those things were connected pretty darn tight and despite applying some pressure on the lock tab with a screwdriver the connections held and I didn't want to cause damage so I left it alone until I can have someone show me how to disconnect safely.

I noticed the cap on the motor seemed off as there was a pretty big gap. Sure enough it came off with very little effort - practically fell into my hand. I reseated it, hopefully correctly. It seemed one end had bumps and the other end dimples the bumps could fit in, so I put them together. The cap seemed like it had a better tighter fit, but reseating it did not change any results on test modes.

All of the bookcase optos and thing s85 and thing limit logos are still being queried at startup - ie the rom is asking me to check them

#17 7 years ago

Does switch 84 (Thing Down Opto) register? Also ... does switch 57 (Bumper Lane Opto) register? You mention that 5 out of the 7 optos on the game don't register. If they ALL don't register then you've likely got a central (systemic) opto problem rather than a peripheral (local) opto problem.

#18 7 years ago

Thanks DA. There's no startup error for those two opto, no. I will check them tomorrow but suspect they are fine

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Bronty:

Thanks DA. There's no startup error for those two opto, no. I will check them tomorrow but suspect they are fine

Where are you located sometimes there is someone local that can help out.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

Where are you located sometimes there is someone local that can help out.

Seriously..... if you are in the DMV (district, maryland, va) area, i would be more than happy to come and take a look.

#21 7 years ago

While we wait to see where you live.....

I had a VERY similar issue about a week ago. After adjusting and messing with it.... I finally figured it out. See my post here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-thing-gets-stuck#post-3658601

3 months later
#22 6 years ago

swapped the bookcase motor, swapped the thing motor/gearbox, replaced fuse... all better... ahhh.

And thanks for the offer lurch (didn't see until today) but I'm on the west coast of canada, so not very close :/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

30,000 (OBO)
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 1,059.00
$ 29.95
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,159.00
$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-thing-issues?hl=bronty and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.