(Topic ID: 192137)

TAF Thing eject hole solenoid stuck on - $5 Donation reward to Pinside

By JohnnyPhantom

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPhantom:

Do you mean the kick out solenoid is getting stuck in the hole? if so, that's not the case, the plunger moves freely up and down, and when i power the machine, I can hear the knock and see that solenoid push its plunger up, and hold it there, and buzzes. When I power it off, it goes back down.

Have you checked your transistors/wiring?
Transistor may be fried, creating a path to ground for the coil power voltages.

#11 6 years ago

Curious, I read someplace that if i touch the top of the transistor with one probe on my MM and then the other probe to ground with the diode test, if it beeps its shorted.

Only if the transistor is energized.
When the transistor is active/energized, the 'tab' is connected through to ground. (Same as a pin soldered to the board.) This completes the circuit for the coil power.

If you jumper the tab to ground, your coil will fire - if it isn't already firing, of course.

#22 6 years ago

At thr moment Im thinking its the ls374 IC, looking up ways to test it

Why? Is the transistor's base grounded when you turn the game on?
I would disconnect the wire harness that feeds the driver (NOT power) for the coil.

If the coil fires when you turn the game on, then your problem is in the wiring. If the coil does NOT pop on when you power on the game, then the issue is in the PDB, yeaup.

#25 6 years ago

The manual is your friend.
According to the inside cover of the manual, the 'Thing Eject Hole' is J122-2. So, unplug J122.

By unplugging J122, you will lose the Thing Motor', 'Thing Eject Hole', 'Bookcase Motor', and the 'Swamp Release' coils. But that is okay. By unplugging it, you are separating the PDB from the field wiring. You're breaking a *possible*connection to ground via a shorted transistor or stuck driver. The coil will still be getting it's power -

Well, f*ck. Nevermind. Just looked at the coil wiring (see page 3-9 of the manual) - and the coils get both power AND driver fro mthe same plug - J122.

NORMALLY, with the coil still getting power, if the wiring was shorted (bad insulation rubbing against a mechanism, for example) the coil would still turn on when you turn the game on. However, in this case, we're cutting both the power and driver - so no matter what, the coil won't turn on because it's not getting any power.

So, have to do this test a different way: Disconnect J122. Put your meter on continuity (beep) mode. Place one lead on the SMALL wire leading to the kickout coil, and place the other lead on a ground braid. If you have a beep, then there's a short in the wiring. (The results of this test are the same as my discussion above - just it's usually a lot easier to just unplug the harness and turn the game on. But we can't here, so.. we have to do it this way.)

#27 6 years ago

Just wanna make sure i do it exactlt how you want me too, when you say small wire, do you mean on the j122 connector (unplugged) or right on the coil itself, im gonna drive back to the house and try this

On the coil. Honestly, either will work - it's usually easier to work off the coil though.

#29 6 years ago

Okay, that's good - that means that the issue is on the power driver board then.

#31 6 years ago

Good luck.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1,159.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 159.00
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-thing-eject-hole-solenoid-stuck-on-5-donation-reward-to-pinside?tu=Coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.