(Topic ID: 3522)

TAF & TAFG listed apart on top 100???

By smassa

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

#1 12 years ago

This makes no sense at all to me.....We dont have 2 listings for Avatar & Avatar LE or Rolling Stones & the LE version. Atleast those 2 game actually play differently but TAFG & TAF play the same. You also dont see a different listing for BSM either. Should this be changed???

#2 12 years ago

I've also wondered about that....I thought maybe the gold color made it play not as good as the standard TAF.

But then again the White mountains in my WH2O make it much more fun to play....maybe we need a WH2OW ranking.

They should both be rated the same.

#3 12 years ago

Yes, agreed, i have wondered about that myself, do they use differing software versions maybe?

#4 12 years ago

+1, why not clear the slot so another pin can make the top 100 ?

#6 12 years ago

Yeah, when I joined I thought that was weird...
Especially because 'Gold' was so far down the list.
Pin-tastic has is right... Oh wait, Starship troopers is 101 (right now). Hmmm.
Maybe TAFG should stay!
Or at least bump "Firepower" up a couple of spaces.
Do it for Steve!

#7 12 years ago

It's the way the plastic mustard gold pop bumper caps and bookcase look. They're dragging it down.

That's uhhhh... just my guess.

#8 12 years ago

You are all right - In fact, The Addams Family Gold should be removed from the database because it's ... well it's basically the same game - just like Avatar and Avatar LE are the same.

But.. the decision to have TAFG in a separate database entry was made a long time ago. Back then, it felt like the right thing to do because these games were rather different and that was way before the whole LE business Stern has recently gotten into. Plus, TAFG has rating comments, ratings, owners and wishlisters of its own. Should I merge these with the "real" Addams Family entry?

Please advice!

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from robin:

Should I merge these with the "real" Addams Family entry?

I personally would like to see this happen, but maybe it would be best to put a poll up to get some more input from other members.

#10 12 years ago

I understand where everyone is coming from, but I don't agree. The two Addams pins may play the same, but they most certainly look very different. Since aesthetics is so heavily weighted in the rating system, I don't think there is any choice but to have both games listed separately. In fact, I would argue that ALL LE's should have a separate listing in the database. This is especially important when the LE plays differently or has extra audio, as is the case with the recent Sterns.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I understand where everyone is coming from, but I don't agree. The two Addams pins may play the same, but they most certainly look very different. Since aesthetics is so heavily weighted in the rating system, I don't think there is any choice but to have both games listed separately. In fact, I would argue that ALL LE's should have a separate listing in the database. This is especially important when the LE plays differently or has extra audio, as is the case with the recent Sterns.

Well if this is the case then shouldnt there be separate listings for LOTR LE, Avatar LE, Rolling Stones LE and BSM?? Like I said above Avatar LE & TRS LE atleast play differently then the standard version.

#12 12 years ago

Sorry I didn't read your whole post before I wrote it. Still not sure I agree with the seperate listings though

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from robin:

Should I merge these with the "real" Addams Family entry?

Yea, I think that would be a good idea.

#14 12 years ago

I think they should be merged.

#15 12 years ago

They should be merged, always thought that was a little weird.

#16 12 years ago

Hmm. Not sure what to do yet. I'm currently leaning towards merging the two entries into one. Anyone else want to put in their 2 cents in this matter?

#17 12 years ago

Here is another vote for a merge...

#18 12 years ago

I vote to merge !

#19 12 years ago

I also think they should be merged.

#20 12 years ago

I vote to merge!

#21 12 years ago

If it is the same game only with more "bells and whistles" the listing should be merged. After all LE are limited. Therefore lower production numbers than the common machines. Just because a company makes a "LE" or "gold" version of a game does not technically make it a totally different game, or different theme. the same gameplay, flow etc is there. Should we have seperate entries for games like TZ and others with/without mods? No. Basically LE's are normal production machines with factory mods. No difference.

#22 12 years ago

Robin,I believe you should merge them.

1 week later
#23 12 years ago

I believe the ROMs are different in the gold too.

#24 12 years ago

Many people use the Gold roms in the Regular version.

#25 12 years ago

I don't know why this is the only game that has two separate ratings. Tough to get an accurate rating on it compared to others when it is separated into two like it is IMO.

#26 12 years ago

Avatar LE has different gameplay rules & so does TRS LE. These 2 games vary much more then TAF & TAFG yet they are merged in the rankings. Hard to see why TAFG should not be listed the same way.

#27 12 years ago

I've got an idea. How about when you rate a game with multiple versions, you get to check off a box indicating which version you are rating? A person could choose to rate just the regular version, just the LE, or both. When you pull up a pin's ratings (i.e. Tron), separate scores would be shown for each version. As far as determining where the game falls within the Pinside rankings, you could simply take an average of both scores. I know it sounds kind of complicated, but I think this idea makes a lot of sense given the recent divergence we've seen between the features/gameplay on the pro models vs. the LE's.

#28 12 years ago

Merge! Makes no sense the gold, special edition has a much lower rating than regular as most collections would have the gold if they could.

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I've got an idea. How about when you rate a game with multiple versions, you get to check off a box indicating which version you are rating?

I've had this same idea over the weekend. I could simply add a checkbox to the ratings page to indicate one is rating a different "version" of the game. This mechanism could also be used to indicate that one has an L.E. version of a game in their collection. And lastly, locations on the pinball map could have games listed as L.E. (so you could find out where to play a TRON L.E.)!

Questions:
- Would a checkbox suffice? I.e. does a game always have one Limited Edition. I think so and this is easier to implement as it would be just a "flag" in the database.
- Could anyone list all games that should have a "has special edition version" flag?

#30 12 years ago

I Picked up a TAF last week,, he had 2... The other TAF had Gold Edition roms installed.. It had a few diff- DMD sceen's and Voice call out's ,, Noth-n More !!!

#31 12 years ago

Some quick stats for TAF:

There are 563 ratings for TAF and 82 for TAFG
Rating for TAF is 8.591 and rating for TAFG is 7.793 so the new rating would be somewhere around

((563*8.591) + (82*7.793)) / (563+82) = 8.490

There is another problem with merging these two entries: 53 people have rated both games. It's going to be kind of hard to merge these!

#32 12 years ago

TAF=IPDB 20. TAFG=IPDB 21. That's why they're considered different games. The IPDB list doesn't have the LE versions of the other games (probably because of the confusion caused by the case I just stated and the case under discussion here).

I spoke too soon.
LOTR=IPDB 4858.
LOTR LE=IPDB 5558.

Eight Ball Deluxe=IPDB 762.
Eight Ball Deluxe LE=IPDB 763.

Black Knight=IPDB 310.
Black Knight LE=IPDB 3799.

#33 12 years ago
Quoted from robin:

There is another problem with merging these two entries: 53 people have rated both games. It's going to be kind of hard to merge these!

I would take the higher of the 2 ratings and discard the other one.There were most likely some protest votes on TAFG.Should be 1 game rating with different addons like mods for your favorite game.

#34 12 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Merge! Makes no sense the gold, special edition has a much lower rating than regular as most collections would have the gold if they could.

I love TAF but don't like TAFG. I find the gold / yellow pieces on the playfield to be ugly (especially in the bumper caps in the graveyard!). The gold wire ramps and legs / lockdown bar don't seem right to me either. I believe that's why the Gold version has a lower rating than the regular version.

Perhaps the Stern games should have separate entries for the regular and LE versions.

#35 12 years ago

Even though it is not perfect, I vote to merge TAF and TAFG. I am more concerned about these new Stern LEs that are legitimately different than the regular releases, like Avatar. Gary Stern was described the aspects of Rolling Stones LE right after I had played a regular Rolling Stones, and the gameplay sounded very different, as I believe my ratings for the two games would be considerably different, whereas my ratings for a LE like Elvis or Addams Family where the differences are mostly cosmetic, sure the rating would change a little, but no enough that it would truly matter.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 1,059.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 1,159.00
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
30,000 (OBO)
$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-tafg-listed-apart-on-top-100 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.