• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

J209 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hello All,

I have a very general understanding of how the switch matrix, etc works. With every issue the knowledge continues to grow.

I am troubleshooting a switch issue on recently acquired #TAF... I am having an issue with the different switches being triggered at the wrong time. Example sometimes during game play when Right ramp switch is triggered, the tilt switch is also triggered.

When in test, when manually triggering Left Trough (15), Thing Up Opto (85) 'flickers' on/off. When manually triggering Right Ramp Top (65), Thing Up Opto (85) 'flickers' on/off.

As you can see in the photo the J209 connector is pretty mutilated. I have already ordered a replacement. Also, when I compare this machine to others, J207/209 are not in use, they are instead connected to J206/208. Which is correct?

When I got the machine in, I took apart the PF, replaced all plastics, ramp, etc. For the most part everything removed had plugs, Only had to solder switches and lights on new ramp. The game was in rough condition when I received it, I don't know if this was an issue before I received it or something I created.

What should I begin checking?

J209 (resized).jpgJ209 (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Holy crap! That looks like hell!

Quoted from mal7887:

... Also, when I compare this machine to others, J207/209 are not in use, they are instead connected to J206/208. Which is correct?...

Both. They're electronicly the same.

Go to PinWiki and do the switch matrix test procedure. You first need to determine if you're dealing with a board or playfield issue.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#3 7 years ago

Ok I printed the instructions and tested the switch matrix as listed with a jumper wire. I followed each column on the DMD to make sure only one switch was activating at a time. Each switch beeped when activated and showed only one switch being activated at a time. The only exception was J-207-9/J209-9, it would show on screen as activated, but would not beep.

#4 7 years ago

Alright... So I replaced the connector today with a new one. Still having the same issue where when in test, manually triggering Left Trough (15), Thing Up Opto (85) 'flickers' on/off. When manually triggering Right Ramp Top (65), Thing Up Opto (85) 'flickers' on/off.

When I unplug the Thing Opto board, the issue goes away.

What's the next logical step(s)?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 180.00
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 159.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-switch-issue?hl=mal7887 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.