4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by zaza
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Q19-b + R.jpg
    sol28-2.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Hi there!
    This is my first posting on this forum

I recently swapped playfield on my #TAF, and everything works fine except the solenoid for the swamp release #28 in test mode. (Do not work in gameplay either).
    I´ve done the following so far:

- Checked fuse. Working
    - Checked solderlugs on coil. Everything is okay and it has correct power.
    - Grounded the coil while in test mode and the coil fires
    - Checked the connecters to PCB. Everything is okay.
    - Checked the TIP102 transistor in Q20. Could not get any reading on my meter, so I changed the transistor. Solenoid still not working.
    - Changed the Q19 transistor (pre-driver). Solenoid still not working, so I thought maybe the problem is further upstream on the board. (I´ve never fixed anything above this point on any board before..)
    - Tested the U2 chip and leg 4, and it has a constant + 4,95 volt, as many of the other legs on U2. There is no pulse from leg 4 on U2 - except the constant +4,95V, when running the solenoid #28 in test mode.
    - Tested R22, 23 and 24. Constant +4,95V. No reading on R25.
    - Rechecked TIP102 at Q20. Working. 70 DCV.
    - Checked transistor at Q19. +4,95V

Does anyone has a clue or suggestion to the problem? Do I need to change the LS374, since there is no pulse in test mode??

I´m going crazy.....

Regards

Simon

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from Simenpacman:

sted the U2 chip and leg 4

If I'm correct, you need to test pin16 of U2 for solenoid #28.

sol28-2.jpgsol28-2.jpg

If you are sure the data signal D3 is present on other solenoids (sol#4, #12, etc) you can perform a test by pulling LOW base of Q19.
    When this test activates sol#28, U2 is most likely not working as it should.

If other solenoids on D3 are also inactive, try reseat the ribboncable between cpu- and powerdriver-board

#3 4 years ago

Thanks for your response, zaza.

I checked solenoid 4 and 12, and they are all active in test mode and in game test. In fact all solenoid works fine, except #28.
    I did a flash test as well, and all worked, except the one in the left corner of the ramp. I put in a new led flasher when installing new plastic ramp, so the problem must be in the wiring/connection. Could this affect solenoid #28???

How do I perform the test by pulling LOW base of Q19?

Regards

Simon

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Simenpacman:

I put in a new led flasher when installing new plastic ramp, so the problem must be in the wiring/connection. Could this affect solenoid #28???

Don't think so

Quoted from Simenpacman:

How do I perform the test by pulling LOW base of Q19?

It is in the picture above - Resistor 470 Ohm from GND to junction R22-R23-Q19base - but here you go, as seen on the board with an 1 K-ohm jumper to GND.

edit: don't keep it to GND but only a very brief moment !
    edit2: you MUST use a resistor in jumper to perform test !

Q19-b + R.jpgQ19-b + R.jpg
    #5 4 years ago

Thanks for great pictures/illustrations. I´ll try later today when I´m back from work..

#6 4 years ago

Hmm. Not sure if I am able to make a jumper with resistor. It´s probably easy, but how do I do it?

Sorry, but my technical capabilities and experience in these matters are limited

#7 4 years ago

In that case it might be easier to just replace the 74LS374.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-swamp-release-solenoid-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.