• Latest reply 6 years ago by jtcentral
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TAF electric chair wiring check (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

I have a TAF that I am converting to LED. All lights where working prior to upgrade. After switching out I now have Column 1 lighting up Column 2. Also anytime you get below Row 3 in column 1 or 2 you get the Row 7 LED on for that column. I have tested all diodes and nothing is reversed, columns are not shorted, and I am getting good pulse on all the lines. Can a bad LED bulb cause all this nonsense?

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from jtcentral:

I have a TAF that I am converting to LED. All lights where working prior to upgrade. After switching out I now have Column 1 lighting up Column 2. Also anytime you get below Row 3 in column 1 or 2 you get the Row 7 LED on for that column. I have tested all diodes and nothing is reversed, columns are not shorted, and I am getting good pulse on all the lines. Can a bad LED bulb cause all this nonsense?

I would start with removing all the lights associated with column 1 and see what happens.
Then go to removing all associated with column 2 and see what happens.

IME 1 internally faulty LED can cause issues. I have learned to always do a few lights then flip on and check the game, then turn off and do a few more and check. I chased 1 faulty (internally shorted) LED for like 10 hours once.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from jtcentral:

There is a anti-ghosting game ROM which someone developed for TAF. I am not sure where to get it, but others may chime in.

I had LED's installed in the mansion inserts in my TAF and multiple insert lights would illuminate when one was lit. At that time someone told my about the anti-ghosting game ROM which is supposed to prevent this, but I never went that route and I reverted back to incandescent bulbs for the insert lamps and everything worked as expected.

Gord

#4 6 years ago

Did you install Non-ghosting LEDs in the inserts? Regular LEDs will do as you are describing.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from jtcentral:

Me and a fellow pin member went through the same thing with my TAF. I had to make sure the LEDs were non-ghosting and begin replacing a few at a time and checking for issues. Not fun but worth it at the end.

-Rev

#6 6 years ago

Ha ha PinballManiac40 just posted. He helped me tremendously.

-Rev

#7 6 years ago

I was just looking back at my previous orders and all of the bulbs were non-ghosting except there was one sample pack I ordered in the beginning. I am guessing that is going to be the offending LED's. Thanks for the response....should have it solved shortly.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Did you install Non-ghosting LEDs in the inserts? Regular LEDs will do as you are describing.

Honestly I don't recall as it was 7-8 years ago. Perhaps they were regular LED's.

Gord

#9 6 years ago

I don't think non-ghosting LEDs existed 7 to 8 years ago. I bought ABlaze 3 LEDs back then and had ghosting issues at that time.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I don't think non-ghosting LEDs existed 7 to 8 years ago. I bought ABlaze 3 LEDs back then and had ghosting issues at that time.

Well, that certainly explains my TAF mansion LED insert ghosting issues at the time then. I just confirmed via my shipping invoices that it was actually 8.5 years ago so I think you are correct in that the LEDs that I was using were not non-ghosting LEDs. Thanks.

Gord

1 week later
#11 6 years ago

OK...my head hurts now. I decided to order the LEDOCD board as it turned out fabulous in my Getaway. Got it installed today, and I still have issues. It's gotten even wonkier then before. Electric chair red is ghosting at all times, several LED's ghost 3 others when lit testing manually via LED OCD. I have unplugged every insert board and tested every single diode, no shorted lines. All oddball lights that light up do it as a ghost. LED's are all non-ghosting type. Any suggestions???

#12 6 years ago

You gotta love it when the fix makes things worse.

Have you tried swapping bulbs?

My LED installs have been problem free so far.

Keep us posted, I am curious as to the problem.

#13 6 years ago

Yes, please keep us posted. I just completed an LED conversion on my TAF and haven't had any issues. I used Comet Pinball non-ghosting on all the inserts with either single or double SMDs in the GI and backbox. One thing I did do was kept incandescents in the chair and the bookcase with the colored rubbers - didn't like the look of the leds there.

#14 6 years ago

Just on Sunday, as revmex and I were looking his last lamp issues on his game, he noticed on this board just below the upper left flipper, the top connector was shifted over by one pin (marked in yellow). Though, I would guess even the lower connector could be as well.
TAF electric chair wiring check (resized).pngTAF electric chair wiring check (resized).png

#15 6 years ago

OK...fresh mind today and alcohol is not a factor. I systematically tested every single bulb and finally found that the diode was totally missing on the above playfield "Thing" yellow. Apparently the previous owner got lazy and didn't re-install it. Problem solved. Oddly though...it lit up 3 columns dimly and one row that had nothing to do with it....weird. Anyway...problem solved. Thanks for the help guys!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 159.00
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.95
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-strange-led-problem-i-need-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.