TAF, Small Tweaks here and there

By NPO

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

All right, I have two questions:

1. I have rebuilt my Swamp VUK - new coil, coil sleeve, and spring. My playfield had some pretty nasty holes for the mounting hardware, and I had to use wood filler to make it to where all my hex screws could be used to mount my under playfield hardware. When my Swamp VUK fires, the ball pretty much always deflects off of the right slingshots - not enough to trigger the slingshot coil, but it will hit it and deflect to the left flipper.

How do I "adjust" the VUK ? Do you loosen the mounting hardware and adjust up and down/side to side (directional...not actual depeth to and from the playfield)? Do you "tweak" the coil bracket or the VUK scoop? I hear people "adjusting" the VUK, but I don't know exactly what that means.

2. I had to replace my trough arm responsible for launching balls out of the ball trough and into the shooter lane - all new hardware, and it works like a champs now. Unfortunately, after kicking a ball into the shooter lane, the trough arm does not go down far enough, and that hangs the other two balls up from rolling down into place where they should be in case I start locking balls.

What is the best way to adjust this? Add washers between the trough arm mounting hardware and the playfield? Get a shorter spring that will pull the arm further down and if so, what would you recommend (I used the spring outlined in the manual, and this is where I am now) ? Bend the arm so it is lower?

#2 7 years ago

Ok dok, got the 2nd one nailed. What it ended up being - there are 4 screws that hold the trough arm to the underside of the playfield. One of the 4 screws was interfering with the trough arm, and the arm was not able to return to its resting position. Finally just happened to see the arm resting on the screw head and I moved it and saw it return that extra space I needed. So that is solved!

Haven't got to #1 yet. Been working on this all day with some other projects around the house, and am taking a couple mins break before resuming work.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

How do I "adjust" the VUK ? Do you loosen the mounting hardware and adjust up and down/side to side (directional...not actual depeth to and from the playfield)? Do you "tweak" the coil bracket or the VUK scoop? I hear people "adjusting" the VUK, but I don't know exactly what that means.

Loosen the mounting hardware and adjust the VUK side to side. Typically no need to do up and down.

Hold the VUK in place while tightening the mounting screws.

#4 7 years ago

I got it to where the ball ricochets off the right slingshot to the left flipper 9/10 times. I tried adjusting the VUK by hand to see if I could even get it to fire to the right flipper. Did my very best, and I just could not make it happen. I'll try again down the road. Totally baffled that I could not get the VUK to fire it in the correct spot...

#5 7 years ago

Sounds obvious but pitch and level of the game affect it too. I've done what terryb suggested above to my VUK to try to stop it slightly glancing off the slingshot rubber and causing regular bounces STDM when flipper is held up (driving me INSANE). I managed to reduce the incidence of it but still not stop it 100%. And this is with using up all of the natural 'play' I had in the VUK mountings.

It sounds like perhaps your 'new' mounting holes aren't in quite the right spots.

To move it to the degree you're describing you may have to use a dremel to elongate the holes in the VUK to turn it even further to the left. Or fill and make new holes that allow you to position it so that it fires to the right flipper cleanly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 180.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 159.00
$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-small-tweaks-here-and-there and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.