• 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by pintechev
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6a528da7f2925728c31b4b3a1b3ac82a506bc394 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 6 years ago

I know this is a different kind of heresy, but I wanted some of that same “spooky” effect and decided to try replacing some of the back GI bulbs in my TAF with purple LEDs. It really worked out well! The area is lit up enough but the throw of the purple bulbs is different and enhanced the artwork in a way I was really happy with. You may consider that too. I prefer not to use incandescents due to the additional power draw and to minimise maintenance, but sometimes you just gotta do it...

One other thing you can try is buying a GIOCD from Herg. You can dial down the brightness of your GI lights, and this may have the same effect. In addition, “showtime!” multiball looks INCREDIBLE, the way the GI dims properly, with no flicker as was intended all along

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from eju201:

Also, I forgot about the dimming of the GI's for multiball, that's awesome. So I can only get that effect from incandescent GIs or else I need the LEDOCD board?
Thanks again everyone!

YES. GIOCD. Also get an LEDOCD while you're at it. To clarify: there are TWO boards: LEDOCD and GIOCD. This is the kind of thing you have to see in person to really 'get' it. GIOCD isn't really a big deal on many games, but it is very important for TAF and TZ. (unless you decide just to do incandescents, and then stay away from these boards, they will blow your game!)

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from eju201:

damonator what do you mean exactly by "color matched" please? Sounds like you have a good plan for your TAF and I'm interested in doing the same. A little nervous about installing a board of any kind, my other pins are all EMs, but I'm sure I can figure it out.
radium the LED flashers in my game currently are enough to make you fall over. those have to go first thing!
kevmad I'm not worried about the heat...should I be? The game will really only be on a few hours at a time.
Thanks again everyone! I'll be leaning on the pinside braintrust even more as I go, appreciate all the insight tremendously. Next you'll have to help me get over the playfield decal that must be covering magnet burn (it's actually a little piece of the decal just over the clouds, but it's not a great match for color in between the clouds...I would have cut the color parts out before installing it myself, but now I'm reluctant to mess with it...I'm holding my breath and learning to live with it until I break down and replace the playfield one day. I'll start a new thread on this when I get the game and begin obsessing...)
e

The board is simple to install - unplug 2 plugs from
The PDB, Mount the board, plug those plugs on the new board, one cable from OCD board to PDB, add power, done. Herg also ships them with good settings so don’t even need to program anything

Don’t mess with the decal on the PF, they are hard to find and never match up anyway. You don’t want to risk additional problems.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

"Color matched" - install the same color of LED bulb as the insert. Red insert = red LED, etc. However, just use Warm White for Orange or Yellow inserts - the Orange and Yellow LEDs aren't as bright as the others and you really can't tell the difference color-wise. For white inserts, you'll have to decide if you want it to be natural/cool white or warm white. I would probably stick with warm white under TAF inserts if you are leaving the GI as incandescent.
As for installing boards, you won't need a GI OCD if you are leaving the GI as incandescent. I would recommend an LED OCD however as it will allow for the ramp/fade effect on the inserts vs. a strobe light effect. LEDs don't dim and brighten like an incandescent bulb, but the LED OCD board turns the LEDs on/off at a very fast rate that makes them appear to be dimming. Don't be nervous about the installation, you are just unplugging/plugging in connectors - no wire cutting and everything is completely reversible.

In fact, DO NOT get a GIOCD if you are keeping incandescent. Not only do you not need it, but the additional power drawn by those bulbs (that’s why they get hot) will blow the board

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from eju201:

Thanks again everyone! I’ll reply back when I get it all straightened out and will post photos.
And i will learn to ignore the magnet burn decal I guess. As rdoyle1978 says, I don’t want additional problems. I called one of the vendors who sells the decals and asked what it would take to just remove it (unless it’s terrible, I can’t imagine that the magnet burn is really that bad under there), he suggested Goof Off, and I asked again since it sounds extreme, but don’t you think Goof Off would ruin the playfield??

Freeze it off with an upside down can of compressed air (the way they recommend you remove Mylar) and then use GOO-Gone. NOT GOOF-OFF. Very very different. Regular goo gone is much less caustic. And be prepared to not like what you see :/

Make sure you google some pics of magnet-burned play fields first..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 180.00
$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.95
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-set-of-regular-incandescent-lights-want-spooky?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.