• Latest reply 4 years ago by Brijam
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3673 (resized).JPG
IMG_3674 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Brijam.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Discovered the right flipper was locked on my TAF (for a long, long time). The fliptronics I board was pretty scorched. Replaced the coil as it had slightly melted, put a rottendog fliptronics board in, the flipper locks on again. No fuse blown. So.... CPU board has a blown transistor?

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Does it power up when you turn the game on ? Fliptronics board issue.
Does it lock on when you start a game ? Flipper button switch issue ( shorted ) or LM339 on fliptronics boards.
LTG : )

Yes, it locks on when the game is turned on. So I guess I have two bad fliptronics boards

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

And bad coil, bad diodes, a reversed diode, wired wrong, something like these causing it.

I replaced the coil, diodes looked oriented properly.

#7 4 years ago

So... new coil, this time a brand new fliptronics board, it still locks on when powering up.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Coil wired right ?
Something took out the new high power transistor - you can check if it's shorted.

So check the high power transistor on the fliptronics board if it's shorted?

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes. If it went out right away. You have something else out in the game going on causing this. Coil wired wrong, diodes on backwards on the coil, bad diode, a short to wiring or to coil lugs, bad coil. Even if parts are new. Crap happens.

Ok, so to confirm there is 0% chance of a problem at the MPU or power driver board. It's either in the wiring, coil or diodes.

The symptom is that the right flipper locks on immediately when the game is powered on, turning off the power drops the flipper.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

You have direct power going to that flipper. Did u replace the coil? If so, did it come preinstalled with diodes or did u add them?

Yes, I replaced the coil; it was preinstalled with diodes. I checked that the they were in the same direction, but didn't unsolder them to test or anything.

2 weeks later
#17 4 years ago

Ok I'm baffled.

I had previously replaced the scorched fliptronics board and a suspect coil with a new rottendog and a new coil. When that didn't work, I put a /second/ new rottendog in.

Then I put in a second brand new coil and then a brand new rottendog power driver board in. I double checked the wiring at the coil. Fuses are good.

When I turn on the game the flipper did /not/ lock on. But I started a game and got no power on the flippers. All other solenoids tested.

While the power was on (but a game wasn't started), I tried to move the right flipper with my fingers and /then/ the flipper locked on. Powered it off, then it went down.

What the heck is going on???

1 week later
#20 4 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

When J806 is pulled from the fliptronic board, does it no longer lock when R.Flipper is moved up manually ?

Do you mean 906? I tried unplugging 906 and it didn’t lock on, but when I plugged 906 back in, it still wouldn’t lock on.

Neither flipper works now. I’m mystified.

2 weeks later
#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

Perhaps if you could post a clear picture of the flipper coil mech including EOS it may be helpful

Mageek here you go.

IMG_3673 (resized).JPGIMG_3673 (resized).JPGIMG_3674 (resized).JPGIMG_3674 (resized).JPG
#25 4 years ago

I went ahead and adjusted the EOS, even though it was working fine before (touching just as the flipper was at full extension), but that made no difference.

I tried messing around more and found out a couple of things:
1) physically holding the lower right flipper up locks it on (buttons do not trigger any flippers)
2) physically holding the upper left flipper up locks it on, but it's more of a stuttering lock
3) physically holding the lower left flipper causes the upper right flipper to trigger when the lower left flipper triggers the EOS

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I went ahead and adjusted the EOS, even though it was working fine before (touching just as the flipper was at full extension), but that made no difference.
I tried messing around more and found out a couple of things:
1) physically holding the lower right flipper up locks it on (buttons do not trigger any flippers)
2) physically holding the upper left flipper up locks it on, but it's more of a stuttering lock
3) physically holding the lower left flipper causes the upper right flipper to trigger when the lower left flipper triggers the EOS

Bump

1 week later
#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

Looks good other than it's hard to tell what that schmutz is below the org / grn wire on the coil jacket, also roll pin on the plunger should be pressed in.
Have you replaced the ribbon cables? My TAF had a locked on flipper coil and my TZ had a locked on flasher both caused by bad ribbon cables.

Turns out J805 and J806 were reversed on the fliptronics board, and I think J805 was off by one pin as well.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts
Protection
$ 180.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement
Cabinet parts
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
Led
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball
Various other swag
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods
Toys/Add-ons
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 49.99
$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
16,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Brijam.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-right-flipper-locked-on?tu=Brijam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.