(Topic ID: 179733)

TAF Restore - Machine will not start up !

By rskb41

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3379 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
ASIC (resized).png
IMG_3368 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
MPU (resized).png
TAF (resized).png
IMG_3367 (resized).JPG
IMG_3366 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

We are restoring and Adams Family and the machine will not start up.
We have a rotten Dog MPU, Rotten Dog general purspose driver and Rotten Dog dmd controller. The two flipper boards and sound board have been checked so we know they work. Transformer and filter have been checked so we know they work, they were from a functioning machine. Ribbon cables are all new and have been seated and reseated.
When you turn the power on D19 & D21 light up on the mpu, D10 lights up on the dmd controller.
On the Rotten Dog General purpose driver board the 12v & 18v leds are out. The 18v comes up as 7v when tested, the 12v has 6v, and the 50v has 76v.
We have fitted the cables to all the boards, so not 100% sure that all cables are in the correct spots.
We also fitted a new coin door.
Any help in getting it started would be greatly appreciated .

IMG_3366 (resized).JPGIMG_3366 (resized).JPG

IMG_3367 (resized).JPGIMG_3367 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

We have just replaced fuse F114 and all now the leds are on, but the 50v is still 76v.

#3 7 years ago

The 50v Is always high thats not that out of the norm.

#4 7 years ago

Seems you're missing one GI connector. Must be smashed behind the power driver board?TAF (resized).pngTAF (resized).png

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from rskb41:

We have just replaced fuse F114 and all now the leds are on, but the 50v is still 76v.

Is the game booting up now? If not, reseat that top left ribbon cable at all 4 board connections.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Phatchit:

The 50v Is always high thats not that out of the norm.

Thanks , we were not sure

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Seems you're missing one GI connector. Must be smashed behind the power driver board?

Thanks, that's J120 that belongs to the backboard lights, we removed it for easier access while trying to figure this out.

#8 7 years ago

Is the game booting up now? If not, reseat that top left ribbon cable at all 4 board connections.

Thanks, have done that a couple of times, we did accidentally reseat into wrong spot and kept blowing F112. Still does not boot up.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from rskb41:

Thanks, have done that a couple of times, we did accidentally reseat into wrong spot and kept blowing F112. Still does not boot up.

Try unplugging both ribbon cables at the top of the MPU. Does it boot up now? If so, I think you need to replace that top left ribbon cable. I had issues with where these come from. I think the female pins are much deeper than the original ribbon cables and make of very intermittent connections.

#10 7 years ago

Try unplugging both ribbon cables at the top of the MPU. Does it boot up now? If so, I think you need to replace that top left ribbon cable. I had issues with where these come from. I think the female pins are much deeper than the original ribbon cables and make of very intermittent connections.

Have done this just now and machine still won't boot up. We got the ribbon cables new from Marco not too long ago. We have some original ones here from another machine we will try now

#11 7 years ago

Just swapped over ribbons from a working machine, but still no sucesss

#12 7 years ago

Can you unplug the small ribbon cable between the driver board and MPU? Remove the 2 just at the top of the MPU. MPU should boot up without any ribbon cables plugged in. If not still booting, there seems to be a MPU issue to deal with. Try and push on the ASIC chip, any luck?

This MPU was tested before? Maybe game ROM is plugged in wrong?

#13 7 years ago

Leave the ribbon cables disconnected from the MPU until you can get the MPU to boot up first.

#14 7 years ago

Can you unplug the small ribbon cable between the driver board and MPU? Remove the 2 just at the top of the MPU. MPU should boot up without any ribbon cables plugged in. If not still booting, there seems to be a MPU issue to deal with. Try and push on the ASIC chip, any luck?
This MPU was tested before? Maybe game ROM is plugged in wrong?

We have not tested the mpu, it is new though.
We removed the three ribbon cables from the mpu, turned the machine on , led d19 & d21 come on, d20 does not flash. Pushed on ASIC chip, no luck.
Could there be a country lock on ? As we are in Australia ? Thanks for your help so far

#15 7 years ago

Leave the ribbon cables disconnected from the MPU until you can get the MPU to boot up first.

Thanks, we will source another MPU ...

#16 7 years ago

Lots of issues with rottendog stuff.... probably the cpu ...

#17 7 years ago

You can do a quick test. If you take the MPU out of the Getaway, plug in power into J210 only. Hold the MPU on the edges while powering on the machine. If it does not boot, I would be checking the actual voltage measurements on the power driver board, especially 5v and 12Digital. 12VUnregulated should still be above, 13v, but will not keep the board from booting up.

#18 7 years ago

Can you take a close up picture of the MPU so we can see if these IC's are oriented correctly (notch facing to the right)? More so, like this picture.MPU (resized).pngMPU (resized).png

#19 7 years ago

Can you take a close up picture of the MPU so we can see if these IC's are oriented correctly (notch facing to the right)? More so, like this picture.

Thanks..is this ok ?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Lots of issues with rottendog stuff.... probably the cpu ...

thanks...we have heard this but we're hoping for the best

#21 7 years ago

You can do a quick test. If you take the MPU out of the Getaway, plug in power into J210 only. Hold the MPU on the edges while powering on the machine. If it does not boot, I would be checking the actual voltage measurements on the power driver board, especially 5v and 12Digital. 12VUnregulated should still be above, 13v, but will not keep the board from booting up.

Will do this ... we thought the voltages were ok 5v is running at 5.1v , 12 digital is running at 11.9 . We did buy getaway to help with the Adams build , but have grown to love it so don't want to compromise it too much, but it is handy to have in this situation .

#22 7 years ago

Just checked the getaway board in TAF and it boots up, thanks so much for your help, it sure put us on the right path quickly , really appreciate it ! We can get a new mpu, so will get that and go from there .

IMG_3368 (resized).JPGIMG_3368 (resized).JPG

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from rskb41:

Thanks..is this ok ?

Yes, those are in correctly. The voltages sound good too.

It seems one side of the ASIC chip is not seated properly. Push firmly on the right side. The chip should be seated down in the socket just like the left side. Maybe it is just me, but looks like it is not seated in this picture.

ASIC (resized).pngASIC (resized).png

#24 7 years ago

Yes, those are in correctly. The voltages sound good too.
It seems one side of the ASIC chip is not seated properly. Push firmly on the right side. The chip should be seated down in the socket just like the left side. Maybe it is just me, but looks like it is not seated in this picture.

Just tried this too, but no change . With the Getaway the D19 went out and D20 started flashing ..picture does not show properly .

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from rskb41:

Just tried this too, but no change . With the Getaway the D19 went out and D20 started flashing ..picture does not show properly .

Do you have the PLCC chip puller to remove the ASIC chip? I would remove it and look for any damaged pins in the socket and any bent pins on the chip and then reseat it back into the socket and try to boot it up again before getting another board.

#26 7 years ago

Since I do not use Rottendog MPU boards, I don't know whether a jumper on your MPU board would be required to be changed with TAF game ROM. I would not think so though.

#27 7 years ago

What all parts came installed on the Rottendog MPU? Any of the socketed IC's?

#28 7 years ago

Do you have the PLCC chip puller to remove the ASIC chip? I would remove it and look for any damaged pins in the socket and any bent pins on the chip and then reseat it back into the socket and try to boot it up again before getting another board.

We don't have a chip puller unfortunately, we got from Curly in Florida and when it arrived the box was pretty battered up, more than likely from Aust Post. We will take it with us to our guy that's got the mpu..we will get him to have a look at it and reseat it. We would end up wrecking it without the puller.

#29 7 years ago

What all parts came installed on the Rottendog MPU? Any of the socketed IC's?

Bought it complete. All parts installed ready to go .

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from rskb41:

We will take it with us to our guy that's got the mpu..

The original MPU? I am hoping so. I'm not fond on the Rottendog boards.

<You know that was a working TAF game ROM ?

#31 7 years ago

You know that was a working TAF game ROM ?

No...we don't for sure.

We found some tools and have taken the ASIC chip out, all seems ok

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#32 7 years ago

If the socket pins look ok, try and press it down all sizes of the chip at the same time. Best having the board flat on a table.

#33 7 years ago

Yep..tried to that, still no success....

Again, thanks so much for your help, we are now thinking ( with your help) its something on the mpu the game rom chip . We will get the new board ...and then we will find all the other things wrong It was a full rebuild , parts were missing (door, boards etc) and it had been sitting for many many years.
My husband " pinballaddicted" sends you many thanks , If you are ever in Australia you need to join us for a beer and a BBQ !!

#34 7 years ago

I'm kinda worried that the ribbon cable that was plugged in wrong spot, causing the fuse to blow, may have damaged the MPU.

Hope your replacement works out.

#35 7 years ago

I'm kinda worried that the ribbon cable that was plugged in wrong spot, causing the fuse to blow, may have damaged the MPU.

Yep..that was one of our concerns too...but when we very first turned the machine on it did the same thing, it was only when we started messing with it we accidentally misplaced the cable .... it's all new though to us...we have only ever had new machines, this has been a learning curve for us ..we will keep you updated on the progress . Time for Pizza and pinball now thanks again

#36 7 years ago

All of us have done that or something similar. Not the best way to learn, but it is learning none the less.

Enjoy!

#37 7 years ago

Oh, You can talk with who you bought it from to see where you can send it for repair. If they say send it to Rottendog, they likely will repair it under warranty. If so, it can be gone a while though.

#38 7 years ago

guys on here will have you stand on your head if you let em. id say mpu is bad if other works!

#39 7 years ago

I really enjoyed reading and learning from what was essentially a real-time exchange of information in this thread.

To me, these courteous working discussions and the willingness to assist on display represents the absolute best of the hobby.

Best of luck with your TAF! It is such a fun machine.

#40 7 years ago

Oh, You can talk with who you bought it from to see where you can send it for repair. If they say send it to Rottendog, they likely will repair it under warranty. If so, it can be gone a while though.

Thanks....after we bought these boards we were introduced to someone local that can build and repair, so we won't worry about warranty...and really we do not know for sure if we caused it or not...so it's all good .. it will be interesting to know of the the exact cause and problem though.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from AvidListener:

I really enjoyed reading and learning from what was essentially a real-time exchange of information in this thread.
To me, these courteous working discussions and the willingness to assist on display represents the absolute best of the hobby.
Best of luck with your TAF! It is such a fun machine.

Thanks !! It really is a great community to be able to come on here and receive so much genuine help, we really appreciate it that's for sure !!

#42 7 years ago

We have success, thanks so much again for pointing us in the right direction, we picked up a new board this morning and everything works. ....that is everything except thing...but we are sorting that out now ...possibly a new motor .

IMG_3379 (resized).JPGIMG_3379 (resized).JPG

#43 7 years ago

I haven't had any luck with rottendog MPUs in any type of machine. Why not use the original?

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

I haven't had any luck with rottendog MPUs in any type of machine. Why not use the original?

The machine was missing some boards when we picked it up, so we bought some from rottendog. (The main driver board works fine from rottendog) Have since met a great guy locally that can check, fix and supply some boards (we now have homepin board in it that he supplied us) Also getting him to check the Rottendog board checked to see what stopped it from running. It could of been us for all we know that had some wrong connections that stuffed it up.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from rskb41:

We have success, thanks so much again for pointing us in the right direction, we picked up a new board this morning and everything works. ....that is everything except thing...but we are sorting that out now ...possibly a new motor .

That is very good news. I hope you get the thing sorted out soon so you can enjoy the game. Now the game only needs a ColorDMD. http://shop.colordmd.com/led-replacement-display-for-addams-family-pinball-machine/

#46 7 years ago

That is very good news. I hope you get the thing sorted out soon so you can enjoy the game. Now the game only needs a ColorDMD. http://shop.colordmd.com/led-replacement-display-for-addams-family-pinball-machine/

Thanks...playing games now...just disabled thing for now..it's a great machine !! Also Just sorting out some really minor other issues , but it plays great .
And yes..colour dmd is next on the list, it's a must, now we have it working . thanks for the link

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from rskb41:

Thanks...playing games now...just disabled thing for now..it's a great machine !! Also Just sorting out some really minor other issues , but it plays great .
And yes..colour dmd is next on the list, it's a must, now we have it working . thanks for the link

The LED display is currently out of stock until end of February. Though the LCD one is in stock, but the tall screen will sit high up from the speaker panel because of the *THING* lamps at the bottom. LED display would be a better fit for this game.

#48 7 years ago

The LED display is currently out of stock until end of February. Though the LCD one is in stock, but the tall screen will sit high up from the speaker panel because of the *THING* lamps at the bottom. LED display would be a better fit for this game.

Thanks ..yes we did see that they are out of stock, have sent them an email ..we can wait

3 weeks later
#49 7 years ago

Update: We gave our Rottondog MPU board to our board repair man as we are in Australia. Sending the board back to the USA was not really an option. The guy who does our board repairs is extremely switched on and totally honest.

Turns out the MPU board is fine. Faulty CPU chip and faulty game ROM, not programmed correctly so the chips went in the rubbish bin. Asic chip is OK.

We will pass on the info on to Rottondog so they can address moving forward.

TAF has color LCD screen and Flipper Fidelity speakers. Plays and runs fantastic! We are happy with the result.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,159.00
20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-restore-machine-will-not-start-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.