(Topic ID: 147824)

TAF restoration. New repro boards or hacked originals?

By loneacer

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by loneacer
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0814_(resized).JPG
IMG_0812_(resized).JPG
IMG_0813_(resized).JPG

#1 8 years ago

So I'm just getting started on my first attempt at restoring a game. I have a fully working TAF that is cosmetically pretty bad. I'm swapping in a new cabinet, playfield (when the repros are ready), topper, translite, pretty much every topside part, etc.

I just finished taking all the parts out of the backbox to tumble the hardware and swap it all to the new cabinet backbox. Looks like pretty much every board has had some repair done to it. Some of them look pretty gnarly. What would you do? Replace them all with Rottendog boards? Try to find better originals? Would these boards have much resale value in the condition they are in considering they work fine?

I'm going for as high end of a restoration as I can get considering I have zero experience with this, but I know some people would prefer all original parts. The new cabinet and playfield already ruin that idea though.

IMG_0813_(resized).JPGIMG_0813_(resized).JPG

IMG_0812_(resized).JPGIMG_0812_(resized).JPG

IMG_0814_(resized).JPGIMG_0814_(resized).JPG

#2 8 years ago

If it was for me and a restore I would buy new Rottendogs and sell these originals to recoup some of your money on the new boards

#3 8 years ago

I always go with originals over repros, just because they generally tend to be more reliable. That said, you've got some pretty awesome hacking going on there. If it was my machine and I was doing a restoration, I'd sell those boards to somebody who doesn't give a shit about prettiness, and pick up some better boards from somebody who sells them. There are a few on here who keep stock of old boards.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from ngoett:

If it was for me and a restore I would buy new Rottendogs and sell these originals to recoup some of your money on the new boards

That's what I'm leaning towards. I was actually thinking of getting new boards anyway, before I saw the backs of these, just assuming new Rottendogs would be more reliable than originals.

Thankfully the sound board doesn't look too bad. It has a small repair done to it, but no wires hanging out the back.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I always go with originals over repros, just because they generally tend to be more reliable.

I agree with that...but damn those things are pretty rough.

Quoted from loneacer:

, just assuming new Rottendogs would be more reliable than originals.

You should not assume that.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

That's why I said in this case, get OEM replacements. Heard some bad things about Rottendog reliability. Still great that they're out there, though.

#7 8 years ago

Ive have had problems with Rottendogs boards before but usually when we do a high end we put Rottendog Driver and the rest originals. Just gives a cleaner look. But just your preference I suppose.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You should not assume that.

I've heard that, but something bugs me about 25 year old electronics being better than new repros. Aren't there any good new replacements out there?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#9 8 years ago

I would look for a nice clean B title wpc game and swap out

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I've heard that, but something bugs me about 25 year old electronics being better than new repros.

Those boards have ben working fine for over 20 years and probably were on 12 hours a day 7 days a week for much of that time...they've earned a little more respect out of you

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Those boards have ben working fine for over 20 years and probably were on 12 hours a day 7 days a week for much of that time...they've earned a little more respect out of you

Ha! So those boards and me have something in common.

#12 8 years ago

I would send them over to the Coin Op Cauldron for assessment.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

I would send them over to the Coin Op Cauldron for assessment.

I was considering that before I saw the backs of the boards. I don't know if it's possible to reverse the previous repairs and do them right or to restore the burned areas.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I was considering that before I saw the backs of the boards. I don't know if it's possible to reverse the previous repairs and do them right or to restore the burned areas.

I have an extra barely used rottendog power board to sale if you decide on a newer board.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

The worst thing that can happen is for you to pay shipping and wait 6-8 weeks. If you're doing a high-end restoration, I would send over all boards and have Clive thoroughly check them and advise you on what to do. That's what I did for my TZ restoration. I sent 11 boards. It was money well spent. When I put the machine back together and had to iron out a few wrinkles, at least I knew the board were not at fault and it made the troubleshooting a lot easier.

#16 8 years ago

Repairable, but the PDB looks bad.
Clive may not accept it.
Send him photos first.
Rottendog boards are fine.
Matching serial numbers won't make a difference if originals fail.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

The worst thing that can happen is for you to pay shipping and wait 6-8 weeks. If you're doing a high-end restoration, I would send over all boards and have Clive thoroughly check them and advise you on what to do. That's what I did for my TZ restoration. I sent 11 boards. It was money well spent. When I put the machine back together and had to iron out a few wrinkles, at least I knew the board were not at fault and it made the troubleshooting a lot easier.

Thanks. I sent Clive an e-mail with a link to these pictures. His response will determine my next step. 6-8 weeks is no biggie if the playfields are going to take another year.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-restoration-new-repro-boards-or-hacked-originals and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.