Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9363 (resized).JPG
IMG_9362 (resized).JPG
IMG_9365 (resized).PNG
2017-03-10 07_02_30-Stolen Souls - Block Brewing Company _ Photos - Untappd (resized).jpg
IMG_9342 (resized).PNG
IMG_8967 (resized).JPG
IMG_8965 (resized).JPG
IMG_8376 (resized).PNG
IMG_8380 (resized).JPG
IMG_8378 (resized).JPG
IMG_8377 (resized).JPG
IMG_7823 (resized).JPG
IMG_7822 (resized).JPG
IMG_7821 (resized).JPG
IMG_7820 (resized).JPG
IMG_7819 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bryan_kelly.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Hello,
My Addams Family is getting restored by Bryan Kelly and I thought I would share it with you guys. I will post comments and pics as I receive them from Bryan. Enjoy!!!

Shit!!! I guess I'll have to watch my language.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

Thanks for documenting. There is an HEP TAF thread going on at the same time. Perfect timing.

Thanks to Chris for the blacked out TAF he did. Kornfreak liked the look and we'll be doing the same on this.

http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album554

Hopefully, this one turns out as nice.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Bryan told me he doesn't go on pinside much anymore, and yet within hours of this thread there he is :
Be careful of a guy who plays lawn jarts in the dark.

All I see in that pic is a truck, a pinball machine and a couple of dicks. Well, maybe only one dick.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

Interesting...
Brad

BASTARD!!!!!!!

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

wake up BK... It is Friday...
Time for a beer and more pinball photos talking about your process.

Seriously?? Wake up?? I never sleep!!

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Bryan,
do you always use that degreaser for the mylar glue removal?

This stuff makes something like Goo Gone look silly. Spray it on and leave for a couple of minutes. Then use a plastic razor blade to remove the majority. Then use a rag to wipe up the rest.

What I've found though, while it's great for removing grease, it's not the greatest cleaner. An example is the playfield slides on newer games. After wiping off most of the grease with a rag, I'll spray them with Orange Power and go over them with a stiff brush. Once done, there'll still be some minor brownish dinge. The Purple Power removes that.

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Should this only be used on clearcoated playfields or older games as well? Can it damage the paint, example Pinbot?

I can't say. I've only done newer cleared games. On those, I use the freeze method and Orange Power to remove the glue. On non cleared games, it seems the heat method is better along with Goo Gone. Again, I've never tried it.

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

What's the plan for the playfield?

Not sure yet. I'll be checking options at Expo next week.

#116 7 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

shit, i called him at 6pm the other night and he was just getting back from early dinner at Denny's and was headed to bed....
just kidding, but that is the message i left on his phone

You want an Addams, Chris? I'll sell you this one when I'm done. Cheap. Some guy on Pinside sent it to me, no charge. Let's just keep this between you and me though.

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Looks great so far! Was wondering, it looks like wood glue and clamps for the splitting of wood for the corners. I am redoing a F-14 with similar issues. But I was wondering about fixing the parts that are broken and chipped. What would you suggest for repairing?

I'd have to see pics of what you mean. If it's broken, you glue and clamp. If it's chipped, you fill with bondo. I'll be getting to that.

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from indy5mike:

Does Adams Family Mylar usually come off that well or is it because Bryan is a god?

Any kind of mylar comes off that easy on a Diamond Plated playfield. I literally had those three pieces off in about a minute. The key is to not get cheap on the freeze spray. The glue removal takes a bit longer, especially with pieces that big.

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Says the guy using a canned duster, upside down, instead of an actual Freeze Spray!
Great work as always Bryan!
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://www.LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

Don't you have to take Taro outside or something.

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

LOL!!!!!! Nice you know you are up so early! That means more progress today!!!!

Sorry, man. Not doing shit on your game today.

#154 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I was curious about the bottom.. if he'd get rid of any channel and just seat it on the ledge and nail/glue it. I have a WPC cabinet I really want to redo the bottom in but have been too scared to punch out and redo.

Here's what the bottom looks like. It's dadoed into the sides front and back. Not sure how you'd ever get it out without breaking it out the bottom.

IMG_3638 (resized).JPGIMG_3638 (resized).JPG

#156 7 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

BUMP for BK restoration showing an image of his "real" workshop.
Brad

Alright, asshole!! If this were my shop, it wouldn't look like it does!! But it's not mine. It belongs to someone who's not quite as organized as me. Thankfully, they let me still use it.

#157 7 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Will he screen the back of the head. If so how close is he to Illinois because I will need mine done. And would like a professional job!!

I'll get to that eventually. I'm in Minnesota. Hop skip and jump from Illinois.

#158 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

The inside painted portion gets 329 grit and red pad.

Um. That should be 320 grit. Fat fingers must have texted 329. LOL

#160 7 years ago

For anyone following, 80 grit sandpaper is used to remove all artwork, paint, bondo, etc. Once all repairs are made and everything looks good, I'll then go over the entire cabinet with 120 grit. Once that's done, finally everything is done with 220 grit. If you don't like sanding, this job is not for you!!

#162 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I thought others have removed a front or back panel.. and then tried to cut it out and remove from the groove. Since the panel is obviously complete.. how did you remove the piece of the cabinet side that was the bottom of the groove? Do you just split the cabinet side laminate with a chisel and work that? Or use a router to cut it back or something?
Thanks for taking the time to help me strategize

I got lucky and one side was already falling out. I simply and carefully beat the other sides out with a hammer. The plywood sides separated nicely right at a ply.

#171 7 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeTechNerd:

The guy is an artist! A cranky artist perhaps, but aren't all of the great ones?

I heard that asshole!!!

#173 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

About time you changed out those hearing aide batteries.

Heard that too ASSHOLE!!!!!!!

#182 7 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

whoa,whoa,whoa, I gotta get to know this guy before I can give him shit!

No you don't. Everyone does.

#186 7 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

Bill Murray and his shirts have nothing on Bryan Kelly...
Brad

You do realize I'm going to kick your ass at Expo this weekend......if I can get out of my chair.

#189 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Glad you like it! It's really nice sharing this experience with all of you!

Well, YEAH!!! Cause I'm doing all the work!!!

#190 7 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

This cabinet bottom isn't going anywhere, that's for damn sure.

We have our fingers crossed.

#228 7 years ago
Quoted from philwojo:

So what does something like this cost? Not asking for a specific price you are paying as I know each resto is unique and the price will be negotiated, but can someone ballpark me on this. Are we talking $500 or $15,000, or is it usually around some other number? Just trying to get an idea in my head and I know there are a lot of factors, like how much work needs to be done, what extras you want put in to it, etc.
Phil

I don't know what this one will cost until I'm done, but I tell everyone, you can figure on at least $6000. With all the mods around and people wanting plated and powdered trim, color DMD, etc., they're getting more around $7000. I've done them for more than that too.

Interestingly enough, cost is the same for most any game done. That's WPC and WPC-95 games, which is most of what I do. I pretty much do the same thing for every game, so title makes no difference.

#230 7 years ago
Quoted from philwojo:

Thanks Bryan, at least that gives me a starting point/idea of how much I would need to save up for something like this, that is exactly what I was looking for.
Phil

And just to clarify, $6000 or better is the restoration cost. You provide the game. It can be a $2000 FT or a $8000 MM. They all cost the same to restore.

#240 7 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I've never tried sanding cabinet decals off, I use a heat gun and a scraper. Anyone have opinions on which way is better?

It all depends on what you're dealing with. Prior to the early 90's or so, the artwork was screened directly on the plywood. Then, Williams started using plywood with an outer vinyl material installed from the manufacturer and that's what the artwork was screened to. Most people think this is a decal but it's truly not. I think the only games that got decals installed were CC and MB. On these, the artwork was screened on decal material, then the decal was installed on the cabinet. It's one reason why most of these games had wrinkling issues.

What they used doesn't follow a timeline either. While IJ was made before AFM and has the vinyl material, AFM does not. And some games had the vinyl material on the head and not the bottom cabinet and vise versa.

I've never restored a TAF that had the vinyl material. On this one, you can see in the pics the ink slowly being sanded off. There was no glue involved. If the white had been vinyl, I would have that to deal with.

If screened on wood, I always sand it off. If the vinyl material is used, I'll remove with heat and putty knife and then sand. I've never tried any kind of liquid and never will. I'm too afraid it would drip or run onto the inside or outside of the bottom and cause a stain. I spend too much time making those look nice to have that happen.

I've got more detailed info about artwork about half the way down on page one.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-restoration-started

1 week later
#248 7 years ago

Lots of different ways to strip artwork off a cabinet. Use whatever method works with whatever tools you have. I'd love to own a Festool. I think it's about the quickest, cleanest method. I just can't justify the expense.

#254 7 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Just be prepared for Bryan to charge you more to have Chris restore it!!! The only reason I say this is ...... Chris drinks a lot better beer than Bryan does!!!!

I will admit, Chris has very good taste in beer.....if you like drinking 40W oil.....after it's been through 10,000 miles!!

FWIW, Chris's charges are simply passed on to the customer. I make no money off it.

#258 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I'm more of a Budweiser or Coors kind of guy....

That's it. I can't take it. I'm sending your game back. No charge!!

#265 7 years ago

WTF. It's Friday. Here's my current beer selection. I normally don't have that many but we recently had family over so I had to stock up. Maybe Chris could show what he's got.

And thanks to Kornfreak, a couple cases of Spotted Cow were on him. Thank you!!!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#268 7 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

It would be something like ..........

Dear God!!!!

#270 7 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Hi Kornfreak,
Don't forget the target decals for your TAF. Bryan will get cranky if you don't get a set and have him install those on the completed game.
Gord

I heard that, asshole!!! We've already discussed them. Told him I'd burn his game in the fire pit before I'd put that shit on!!

#312 7 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Why is the trim shorter on the sides? I have noticed this on a lot of machines.
Also, what is he sanding with when he sands for the decal? I would guess 1500.

The trim is shorter on the sides because that's how you buy it. It's made the same as the originals.

Sanding before decals is done with 320 grit, followed by red Scotchbrite pad then white.

#320 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Next is sanding and painting the screens

And this is needed because some dipshit decided he'd paint the back of the cabinet and head with spray paint.

#333 7 years ago
Quoted from JDD:

of all the threads that I favorite, this is the only one I really get excited when I see updates.
- unless the posts are all about beer -

Thanks....I think.

#360 7 years ago
Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

That Thing hand looks amazing.
That Fulton Blonde tastes amazing.
(The Shiner Bock isn't too shabby either.)

Finally, someone with good taste in beer!!

#363 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Great thread. Where's the Heady Topper? Not seeing anything hoppy in this thread is a bummer.

Sorry, man. We don't drink that shit in this thread. You'll want to head over to the HEP thread for that.

#365 7 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

when you run the harness thru the cleaner, what do you do about the micro switches?

I'll get there eventually, but lots of work happens to the switch harness, especially the switches. They all get replaced.

#367 7 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

ale is for the ladies,

We all have a feminine side. I just happen to be more in touch with mine.

I can't believe I just said that.

#369 7 years ago

I will say, though, no dresses or leggings were worn during this restoration.

#377 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Personally, no. I think they look good. Your call. What's BK think?

I think they look pretty cool. My only concern is the lifting of the playfield. I don't care how careful you lift it, there will be that one time you put a tad more pressure on one side and the playfield doesn't lift square and you get a scuff or scratch in the artwork. Same goes with mirror blades. When I install those, they're the very last thing I install before I pack the game. I tell the owner he can put the first scratch in them.

#380 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Would felt help a bit?

Yes it would and I ordered it the other day.

#381 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Ok guys, more updates!!! More ultrasonic and more cleaning! Yes, Bryan will replace the bushings

FWIW, the tilt switch and flipper switches didn't look that nice out of the ultrasonic. They were tumbled.

#394 7 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

I would deff put them on. But agree about the scratching from lifting PF. Would clear coating be a option. Would help with protection.

Clear would scratch just as easily.

#396 7 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Can you tumble slingshot arms?

Sure can. Just disconnect the wires first.

#410 7 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

I'm a one tumbler kinda guy

One will certainly get you by. Things just take longer. Two smaller ones let me keep things organized. One will have the cabinet hardware in it and one will have all the playfield stuff. The larger one is needed for the larger pieces. I don't use that one much but when I need it, I really need it.

#415 7 years ago

OK, let me explain those first few pics. For those who don't know what I coil is, It's a plastic bobbin with a tube inside with hundreds of layers of wire windings. The ultrasonic gets the cleaner throughout those layers. To get it out, I use compressed air blown into the small slot at the bottom. That blows air from the inside out. The bubbles shown are what I get when I do that. I'll blow then rinse, blow then rinse and keep doing that until I get no bubbles. Flipper coils can sometimes require that as much as ten times.

In order to fully dry them, I'll do that same process, only without the water, many times throughout the day.

#423 7 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

I'm getting this right that Bryan disassembles then tumbles the leaf switches? Does that cause any problems removing the plating at the point of connection?

I actually throw the entire switch assembly in the tumbler. I'll bolt things together first so it doesn't come apart. Once done, I'll remove the bolts and loosen things to remove any media. I've done this for years and had no issues with the contacts. However, they do get cleaned with denatured alcohol.

#424 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Jeez....it's 11:30 am. I don't even crack a beer that early

That's your problem, not mine.

#428 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I'm really liking this restoration/beer thread!

Let me just say this, if I can't have fun with what I do, I don't want to do it. Why do you think I retired as an electrical contractor. After 40 years, it got to the point where I hated what I did. It was time to move on.

#439 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Where do you source the new switches from?

I get all my generic stuff from Terry at Pinball Life. I buy the switches and diodes 100 at a time and will make up an assembly like process where I attach all the diodes myself. Most actuators are reusable, so I just transfer them to the new switch.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=830

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=173

#441 7 years ago
Quoted from mac622:

Agreed plus the insides where you're picking out the shells never get polished and looks crappy against the shiny tumbled part. It's much easier and relatively cheap to buy new screws and washers. A box of 100 #6 x 1/2" screws from BoltDepot.com cost only $1.66 and #8 x 1/2" cost only $1.90. A box of 100 external tooh washers costs $2.25.

Yup. And how many types of screws are in a pinball machine with all the different lengths? Maybe 50? There are some real common ones I buy new, but I just can't see throwing away perfectly good fasteners simply because I can buy new. I do throw away a number of them that have issues and use new also.

It may sound stupid, but I guess I pride myself in being able to restore and reuse as many parts in a game as I can. It's kind of a game in itself.

#450 7 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

I have the same attitude. If it looks decent (my definition may vary from your definition) and it still works then I leave it alone. Of course, that is after cleaning and tumbling. Rusted and corroded ones get replaced. I've tried "rust busting" but it's just cheaper to replace them. Costs more in electricity to run the equipment than the new parts.

Exactly. I've had plenty of games with corrosion so bad damn near every fastener had to be replaced. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

#452 7 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

do you make all of your own coil wrappers?

Nope. Rick is the only one who makes them like the originals. You can get them at Bay Area Amusements or Planetary pinball.

#453 7 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

do you do anything to keep the coil wrappers from unraveling? I have had problems with new wrappers unraveling and used double-sides scotch tape at the end of the wrapper, curious how others handle that.

I've had that happen before but I always figured it was because I didn't let the coil dry enough. A week later when I went to put the coil in, I simply pressed it back down and it stayed.

#459 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I really like your part drawer labeling setup Bryan!
I also REALLY need to find a few sets of those drawers. Any idea where I can find some?

If they look familiar, they're from an Ace Hardware store. You can't buy them, they're made strictly for Ace. I bought 36 five drawer units at an auction for about $300.

Of course they had been sitting in a pole barn for years. Many of them still had the parts in them. Some had mouse nests. It took me about a week to clean them all out, strip off all the old labels and clean them all. It fucking sucked!!!

They're made by Hillman, if you want to check them out.

#464 7 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Hey Bryan, I see your coils still have plenty of solder on the tips, do you simply melt the solder and pull the wires, or cut them?

I never cut wires. Too many times, there's just enough as is. However, before pulling the wires, I'll take a picture of each of the coils showing wire colors.

Speaking of solder on the tabs, that gets removed. I didn't show it but I call it my redneck method of solder removal. Simply heat the tab and bang the coil on the bench top. Works like a charm.

#465 7 years ago
Quoted from JDD:

You flipped that one diode in that batch !

Thank you!!!!

For those who don't know, a reversed diode on any switch will cause all kinds of odd switch issues. It can drive you crazy!!

#467 7 years ago

Did you want your game back in one piece?

#473 7 years ago

I have to admit, I feel a bit stupid. Since I had to make and install a new bottom, I could just as easily moved the power box hole more to the back. I guess keeping with originality sometimes gets in my way.

#479 7 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I agree, You really shouldn't mess with Kornfreaks hole!

That's just wrong right there.

#481 7 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

You brought it up. I figured it was the shitty beer talking.

There will be a thread eject from here on in if anyone says anything about any man's hole!!!

Whether there's beer involved or not!!

#483 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I think it's cute how you stick up (in?) for another man's hole. You're a good egg Bryan.

OK. Where's a moderator when you need one!!!!

#494 7 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

Bryan, do you know the partner number for the connector to the coil on the TAF knocker? In my machine, the knocker was missing. I've built a new one from parts, but I don't have the connector. I've attempted to buy some, but keep getting the wrong part.

You want this one.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4359

#501 7 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Bryan,
Is Purple Power your new Bleach White? I still use BW based on an old thread where you recommended it.

Absolutely!! Bleche Wite changed their formula a few years ago and doesn't work nearly as well. If it ways Black Magic on it, it's no good.

#523 7 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Bryan, do you rinse or clean the parts once they are off the tumbler? To my experience, they usually come off dusty.
Those ramps are looking very very good.

I'll wipe them down with a rag, but that's about it.

#548 7 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

What is the prep work for the apron prior to paint and decals?

I'd love to share with you, but I can't. I've got a buddy who owns a body shop and his guys do all this type of work for me.

#551 7 years ago
Quoted from smiley:

Very interesting thread, I am enjoying it immensely. Kornfreak are you staying with Bryan though this process?

Not that I'm aware of.

#552 7 years ago
Quoted from smiley:

Well your location is in Texas and Bryan's in Minnesota. So are you in Minnesota? I love all the pics, but you must be there to take them.

Nope. All the pics are taken on my Iphone as the work is done and sent to Kornfreak.

#553 7 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Love this thread. Thanks for the great pictures and sharing the journey.
I know this question is a little late in the process but when rebuilding the cabinet why use MDF/particle board for the bottom? Aside from trying to match the original BOM wouldn't it make more sense to use plywood ?

Allow me to be blunt. Because it would look like shit!!

Sorry, but in this case, I want original. Not plywood that would look totally out of place.

#555 7 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

This switch has seen better days!

Actually, all the micro switches get replaced throughout the entire game.

#557 7 years ago
Quoted from smiley:

Cool, so why don't you just post them as your's?

I did that once with an IJ restoration two or three years ago. I can't remember how many hours were spent taking pics and posting everything at the end of the day, but it was lots. Way more than I want to spend ever doing again.

What Kornfreak is showing is only some of the pics I text (along with colorful descriptions) to anyone I do a restoration for. With phones now, it's just too simple. What they do with the pics is their business.

Koenfreak asked if he could share them here and I said sure. Leaves me lots more time to actually work on the game.

#558 7 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Likely because that would be somewhat of a PITA for Bryan. It is simple for him to snap photos on his iPhone and send them to George ie Kornfreak with very little effort and letting George upload the photos to this forum.
Please correct me if I am wrong Bryan.
Gord

Ding ding ding. You are correct, Gord. This way, George has to do all the work!!!!

#559 7 years ago

Here's the IJ thread I did about three years ago. Most things I still do the same, but some things are done differently and better. It was fun to update the thread to start with, but after a while it got kind of old.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-restoration-started

#567 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Exactly. I post almost all of the pics I get from Bryan. Impossible to post them all. Too many of them.

You wouldn't get so many pics if you didn't ask so many questions.

#574 7 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

Holy crap. With this level of restoration, 6k to have this done seems like a decent deal. Great thread.

This, I'd say, is the biggest reason for sharing pics and getting the customer involved in the restoration process. Once done, he sees exactly how much work and what's involved in restoring a game.

#581 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Almost forgot to show you guys this pic! Looks good doesn't it?

A simple artistic change Chris made on his TAF that I used here. Let's give credit where credit is due.

#602 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Bryan,
try this for your hands
http://www.amanashops.com/product/wool-wax-creme/amana-totes-and-specialty-items?gclid=COjzm-_5j9ACFRCqaQod71UIrw
woolwax if the BEST stuff for dry cracking hands. Dries, not greasy, and you can really slop it on at night to help repair your hands (your most important tool; so take care of them)
Learned this one from both my grandpa and my pops. Manly men, tale care of their hands!

I hate to say it, Hilton, but working construction, my whole life, I've always had manly hands. It's literally all I've ever known. I thought they would get better now that I'm only dealing with restorations, but they may be getting worse. If you've ever stripped an entire game apart, playfield and all, you know how black your hands can get. I don't even want to know how many times I wash my hands throughout the day. A dozen maybe? And it's with some relatively strong cleaners.

I'll seriously give this stuff a try. Thanks!!

#606 7 years ago
Quoted from Badamack:

Amazing work (obviously)
But, should we note: it looks like Korn freak also provided a lot of spendy (hard to find) parts no?

Not sure what you mean. Kornfreak sent me a semi decent game to restore. That's it.

#610 7 years ago
Quoted from Badamack:

Oh.
Wow.
I thought all the parts like plastics and nos topper were parts George bought and saved up over time.

Oh hell no!!!!!

#611 7 years ago

Just for the hell of it, I kept track of the number of vendors I had to deal with on the last restore I did, which was a FH.

I think most would think it's maybe 8. Turned out to be 17.

#616 7 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Is there a technique and/or tool to getting leaf blades back flat once clean? I've got a leaf adjustment tool, but a couple on my TAF are just wonky like yours were.

Not really any kind of technique. I use an adjustment tool like yours and a small needle nose pliers.

#618 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I'm ready to print the cards, how long do they have to be?? Thanks!

They should be 3.25" X 6".

#627 7 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

Brian whats the overall length width and depth of theses support rails also what degree of angle do you cut them at?

They're cut at a 45 degree angle so the perpendicular sides are 1". Not sure of the length. They've been thrown away.

I had some plywood damage when I removed the bottom, so I cut mine 1 1/4" to hide it. I also cut mine longer.

#629 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

looking good so far old man kelly!

All I need now is for Hutchins to quit drinking beer and finish up the playfield and I'm back in business.

#637 7 years ago
Quoted from wallybgood:

Hey Bryan
Great job, as usual.
Do you ever install mylar on restored playfields? If so, what areas? Jet bumpers, slings, ball drops?
Thanks
Wally

Ball drops only, Wally.

#641 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Unfortunately the box has to be modified a bit because the rivets will interfere with the plastics. I'm sure Modfather will come up with something just as great!

Yup. The rivets could be painted on, but anything 3 dimensional will cause mounting issues.

#643 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Bryan, I have a question for you. Other than the current rating of the contact, the difference between the DB3 switches you have been using and the DB5 you posted the link for at Pinball Life, appears to be the operating force to operate the switch.
According to the CHERRY catalogue, the 3 requires 150 grams of pressure and the 5 requires only 70 grams. Have you ever found any issues using these switches? The original switch WMS used, the DA3 is no longer available, it had an operating pressure of 90 grams.

I've not had an issue using the DB3, other than, the actuator needs a tad more travel before it actuates the switch. This is easily fixed by slightly bending the actuator.

2 weeks later
#650 7 years ago
Quoted from JDD:

radio silence ?

We be waitin for parts.

#652 7 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Is the playfield back?

Nope. That'd be one of the hold ups.

#653 7 years ago

While waiting for parts, I finally got a new playfield installed in this guy.

#660 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

The best answers come on fridays after eight.

Nothing happens in my life after eight anymore. On any night.

#661 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

How was the cpr install on FT?

Only a couple of issues. The mini playfield was missing most of the dimples but they were pretty easy to figure out. On the main playfield, the dimples got progressively worse as you moved towards the top, to the point where most were gone in the top quarter. Again, not too hard to figure out.

Best to keep your old playfield as a guide until you're done with the swap.

1 month later
#669 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

As always, Chris did an AMAZING job!

I've lost count how many playfields Chris has done for me. Never had an issue with any of them.

#681 7 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

You may have mentioned it before Bryan but what is the size on those hex head screws you use all over? I assume less than 1/2", maybe 7/16" and a #6?
Thanks, and it's nice following along.

Most are #6 X 1/2". The shorter ones used on the lamp sockets are 3/8".

#682 7 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

Are there any specific bits you recommend to pre-drill a clear coated PF with? Just got my Kruzman FT PF in today. Thanks!

Just good ole' drill bits around here.

#683 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Indeed Mr. Mccune made it and gifted it to Bryan. These are the pics I got....It's some kind of bearing. Has felt on one side and center part where the screw goes spins freely from the rest.

I don't think Jim made it. It's something he had available at work.

I made my own before Jim sent me this. I'll see if I can find it.

#686 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I don't think Jim made it. It's something he had available at work.
I made my own before Jim sent me this. I'll see if I can find it.

I stand corrected. Jim came up with the idea for this tool and made it using parts he had in his workplace.

I told him he should make a batch and sell them. It's a pretty slick tool.

#687 7 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Do you drill these holes before you pound them in? What size bit? And when you say "pound them in", are they hard to seat tightly? Any glue needed? Just a standard hammer? Or a rubber mallet?
I am going to be doing my FH playfield soon, and for some reason, this step is filling me with anxiety.

On an old playfield like this, I do not drill holes. New playfields, I'll drill a pilot hole just a tad smaller than the guide.

No glue. They'll seat tight. Don't care what you pound them with. Just pound them. I do it on a solid workbench.

Don't overthink this. It's just a piece of plywood.

#691 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Ask for more pics so others can make that tool, I think mccune made it.

You don't need anything fancy. A few washers do the trick too.

#694 7 years ago
Quoted from mbt:

On post 277 How did you remove the light sockets from the insert board? The only way I could figure out how to do it was to remove the wires and unscrew the socket. It looks like you have a much easier way to do it.

Pair of pliers and a twisting, back and forth motion as you pull. You can use a small screwdriver to pry them up to get a hold of them with the pliers.

#705 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Never enough pics....

The two pics showing the switches and targets were taken to show Kornfreak how I know where things go. On most everything, there is a specific wire color. It's easy to interchange those three switches above, but not if you pay attention to the wire colors. Same thing with the targets.

Yes, harnesses have a memory, but only about 75%. You're screwed on the other 25%, if you don't take pics.

#719 7 years ago
Quoted from Bronty:

Bryan, if you don't mind me asking, in your opinion, who are some of the top restorers in the northwest? I am in awe of the work done here, and while I have no immediate plans at all, I could see myself getting a restoration done one day if I happen across a machine with issues and if the work done was similar level quality, but just a little closer to home. (I'd be nervous have anything this lovingly restored shipped).

There are a lot of guys around that do restoration work. Some post here and many don't. I don't know anyone in the northwest area. Jim McCune is in Utah and probably the closest to you. Jim does beautiful work and I would highly recommend him. He doesn't post here anymore and I'm not sure how much restoration work he does now.

Feel free to send me a game sometime. I've had hundreds of games shipped in and out of here over the years. Unless you can find someone within driving distance, it's your only choice.

#722 7 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Curious as to what make/type of LEDs you're using in the inserts. One of the photos above showed the mansion LEDs going in, and happened to notice the use of yellow and orange LEDs in the yellow and orange mansion inserts. I've generally gone with 1 SMD sunlight whites from COMETs here because yellow and orange LEDs tend to be dull in brightness unless you use the 2 SMD LEDs. I found the 2 SMDs were too bright for title, but as always, it's a matter of personal taste!

Yeah, don't get me started on choice of LED's. It might drive me to drink. I used to buy the game kits, but they were never correct and sometimes I would get different LED's for the same type insert. It made no sense. Sometimes it made no sense why some types were even sent. They were also expensive.

I now keep it simple. I use Comet twin 2835's with frosted tops. I use natural light for GI and color match for the inserts. Boom. Done. I keep my sanity. I learned this from a guy I did 3 games for and I really liked it. Many guys I do games for, like to play around with different colors once they get the game back. That's their choice.

What I have really started to push, and most guys go with it, is the LED OCD board for the controlled lamps. The end result is amazing. You get a bright game along with the slow on and off you get with incandescents instead of the stark instant on and instant off. If you have LED's in your game, you really need to try this.

Like you said, though, it's all personal taste.

#735 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

bryan's got tiny "trump" hands

Shouldn't you be out buying some vinyl sticker stock?

#745 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Gotta ask Bryan because I have only pulled a PF once. HOW do you get the fully assembled MINT playfield back in there without a scratch/scuff anything?

Very, very carefully, grasshoppa.

First, you need to have some kind of a lift whereby you can remove the legs and basically have the game sitting on the floor. Without this, I don't know how you'd do it by yourself.

Drape some thin towels over the cabinet sides in the back where the playfield will be set.

Set the playfield next to the cabinet on it's back with the bottom of the playfield facing you. It should be vertical. Zip tie all the harnesses to the bottom of the playfield.

I then set a stool next to the cabinet towards the back. Lift the playfield onto the stool. Now, with one foot in the cabinet, set the playfield in place.

Piece O' cake.

#746 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

shouldn't you be focused on restoring this machine for the owner instead of texting me 10x a day?

If you would just do what I asked you to do a couple of months ago, I wouldn't have to be texting you today.

F'ing kids!!!

#747 7 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I've been fortunate to have three games restored by Bryan and all three arrived back home undamaged in shipping. Bryan does a spectacular job protecting the pins for shipment. He ships them back on a pallet protected by multiple layers of blankets, cardboard and shrink wrap.

Thanks, Damon. I highly doubt there are many guys within driving distance of someone who provides restoration services. Shipping is just a necessary evil.

#748 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Gotta ask Bryan because I have only pulled a PF once. HOW do you get the fully assembled MINT playfield back in there without a scratch/scuff anything?

Let's just say, I'd take a video but my hands are kind of full.

#756 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Do you narrow the playfield down a bit before restoring it and clear coating so that you have clearance for the felt and inner cabinet stickers?

Not at all. The decals are paper thin and there's not much to the felt either.

1 week later
#777 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Bryan, where do you send out stuff for chrome?

I use Ron Woodard, here on Pinside. He uses the same company Mike Chestnut used in Nashville.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/plating-chrome-brass-and-nickel

http://pinballplatingandmore.com/

#778 7 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Beautiful. Simply stunning. Can't wait to see this up and running. Very jealous Kornfreak28!

Oh, it's up and running great. I'm just waiting for some cosmetic parts to finish things up.

#792 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

SBryan came up with a super cool mod to keep the THING lamp board in the game.

I would love to say I came up with this but I did NOT!! I forget who, but someone else came up with the idea and I just happened to come across it. Here it is for anyone interested.

http://www.colordmd.com/Light%20Board%20Mod%20TAF%20and%20DW.pdf

#798 7 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Is this OCD board for inserts or GI?

This is the one for inserts.

#803 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Um, I may have missed it somewhere along the line.... what is the switch or pot installed in the top RHS of the backbox, just next to the FBI warning label? Is it to do with the Flipper Fidelity speakers installed?

Yup. Volume control.

1 week later
#814 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

My TAF restoration is complete! Bryan did and INCREDIBLE job! Black legs will be installed by me. The machine looks sick!!! Thank you Bryan!
I've enjoyed sharing my experience in this thread so much. Hope you guys liked it too. Bryan is protecting and getting it ready for shipping. I might post a few more pics when I set it up In my gameroom. Thanks!!!

I just looked at the pics. That IS a pretty nice TAF.

#816 7 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

Stunning, watching these artist making a nice pin into a mueseum piece.

Thank you, but stop that. It is just a pinball machine. A nice one, but still just a pinball machine.

#823 7 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Why ruin it!!!!

I heard that, asshole!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 180.00
26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 159.00
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bryan_kelly.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-restoration-by-bryan-kelly?tu=bryan_kelly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.