Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9363 (resized).JPG
IMG_9362 (resized).JPG
IMG_9365 (resized).PNG
2017-03-10 07_02_30-Stolen Souls - Block Brewing Company _ Photos - Untappd (resized).jpg
IMG_9342 (resized).PNG
IMG_8967 (resized).JPG
IMG_8965 (resized).JPG
IMG_8376 (resized).PNG
IMG_8380 (resized).JPG
IMG_8378 (resized).JPG
IMG_8377 (resized).JPG
IMG_7823 (resized).JPG
IMG_7822 (resized).JPG
IMG_7821 (resized).JPG
IMG_7820 (resized).JPG
IMG_7819 (resized).JPG
There are 839 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 17.
#401 7 years ago

I'm getting this right that Bryan disassembles then tumbles the leaf switches? Does that cause any problems removing the plating at the point of connection?

#402 7 years ago

While the coils get cleaned Bryan cleans the crap on the subway....

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#403 7 years ago

Good results but scratches are visible, so......

#404 7 years ago

You run the flame over the plastic about an inch away and it melts the surface enough to remove the scratches.

#405 7 years ago

A picture is worth 1,000 words! Nice job Bryan!

#406 7 years ago

Next is a new switch adjusted just right using a ball.

#407 7 years ago

Done

#408 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I think they look pretty cool. My only concern is the lifting of the playfield. I don't care how careful you lift it, there will be that one time you put a tad more pressure on one side and the playfield doesn't lift square and you get a scuff or scratch in the artwork. Same goes with mirror blades. When I install those, they're the very last thing I install before I pack the game. I tell the owner he can put the first scratch in them.

Hi Bryan,

That is the same concern that I have always had. I think the inner side decals look great, but if you scratch them lifting the playfield then it isn't a simple touch-up with a black Sharpie marker.

I would guess that you would need to line the playfield sides with a soft felt and then still really be careful when lifting and lowering the playfield to avoid scratching the inner side decals.

Gord

#409 7 years ago

After they come out Bryan uses a tubular brush in the inside and they all get scrubbed by hand.

#410 7 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

I'm a one tumbler kinda guy

One will certainly get you by. Things just take longer. Two smaller ones let me keep things organized. One will have the cabinet hardware in it and one will have all the playfield stuff. The larger one is needed for the larger pieces. I don't use that one much but when I need it, I really need it.

#411 7 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Hi Bryan,
That is he same concern that I have always had. I think the inner side decals look great, but if you scratch them lifting the playfield then it isn't a simple touch-up with a black Sharpie marker.
I would guess that you would need to line the playfield sides with a soft felt and then still really be careful when lifting and lowering the playfield to avoid scratching the inner side decals.
Gord

Thanks Gord! Nice of you to chime in!

#412 7 years ago

More cleaning!!!

#413 7 years ago

Done

#414 7 years ago

Back to the inner decals...Who makes the best decals out there? Who do you guys recommend? Thanks!

#415 7 years ago

OK, let me explain those first few pics. For those who don't know what I coil is, It's a plastic bobbin with a tube inside with hundreds of layers of wire windings. The ultrasonic gets the cleaner throughout those layers. To get it out, I use compressed air blown into the small slot at the bottom. That blows air from the inside out. The bubbles shown are what I get when I do that. I'll blow then rinse, blow then rinse and keep doing that until I get no bubbles. Flipper coils can sometimes require that as much as ten times.

In order to fully dry them, I'll do that same process, only without the water, many times throughout the day.

#416 7 years ago

Before and after....

#417 7 years ago

A little Blue Moon before flaming the caps don't hurt nobody...

#418 7 years ago

Before and after flaming...

#419 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

A little Blue Moon before flaming the caps don't hurt nobody...

Jeez....it's 11:30 am. I don't even crack a beer that early

#420 7 years ago

Inside needs to be done too.

#421 7 years ago

And there's what happens if you go too slow or too close.

#422 7 years ago

Done

#423 7 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

I'm getting this right that Bryan disassembles then tumbles the leaf switches? Does that cause any problems removing the plating at the point of connection?

I actually throw the entire switch assembly in the tumbler. I'll bolt things together first so it doesn't come apart. Once done, I'll remove the bolts and loosen things to remove any media. I've done this for years and had no issues with the contacts. However, they do get cleaned with denatured alcohol.

#424 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Jeez....it's 11:30 am. I don't even crack a beer that early

That's your problem, not mine.

#425 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

LMAO!!!!!

#426 7 years ago

I'm really liking this restoration/beer thread! Show us your favorite beer

#427 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Suppose when were up north tho, we'll have bloody Mary's with a beer chaser around noon. So, I guess I can see it at 11:30, BUT, your working. Keep up the awesome work BK

#428 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I'm really liking this restoration/beer thread!

Let me just say this, if I can't have fun with what I do, I don't want to do it. Why do you think I retired as an electrical contractor. After 40 years, it got to the point where I hated what I did. It was time to move on.

#429 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Let me just say this, if I can't have fun with what I do, I don't want to do it. Why do you think I retired as an electrical contractor. After 40 years, it got to the point where I hated what I did. It was time to move on.

Agree! Who doesn't want to drink beer while working!

#430 7 years ago

Nice looking coils! Yep, Those minnisotans/ Canadians can drink beer that early.

#431 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I think they look pretty cool. My only concern is the lifting of the playfield. I don't care how careful you lift it, there will be that one time you put a tad more pressure on one side and the playfield doesn't lift square and you get a scuff or scratch in the artwork. Same goes with mirror blades. When I install those, they're the very last thing I install before I pack the game. I tell the owner he can put the first scratch in them.

Would felt applied the the PF edge protect the artwork a bit?
The application could be self stick felt along with some buried staples to hold it in place?

#432 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

First, Please tell me what you all think of the inner cab decals in the pic. I'm considering them....

If I were putting that kind of money, time and effort into a restore, I would leave it original.

I wouldn't hack it up.

#433 7 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

If I were putting that kind of money, time and effort into a restore, I would leave it original.
I wouldn't hack it up.

Thanks for your opinion! Leaving it original is out the window by now...I went with all-black powder coated legs, rails, wireforms, ect by Ron Woodard...great guy btw

#434 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

You mean the bookcase decal?

Yeah - sorry - the big flat circle that rotates to open the vault -- is what I meant. heh.

#435 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Yeah - sorry - the big flat circle that rotates to open the vault -- is what I meant. heh.

Yeah, I got that already. Who do you recommend for the inner decals? Thanks!

#436 7 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

Media stuck between the head and the washer is the worst.

Agreed plus the insides where you're picking out the shells never get polished and looks crappy against the shiny tumbled part. It's much easier and relatively cheap to buy new screws and washers. A box of 100 #6 x 1/2" screws from BoltDepot.com cost only $1.66 and #8 x 1/2" cost only $1.90. A box of 100 external tooh washers costs $2.25.

#437 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Next is a new switch adjusted just right using a ball.

Where do you source the new switches from?

#438 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

I'll let Bryan answer your question

#439 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

I get all my generic stuff from Terry at Pinball Life. I buy the switches and diodes 100 at a time and will make up an assembly like process where I attach all the diodes myself. Most actuators are reusable, so I just transfer them to the new switch.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=830

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=173

#440 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I'll let Bryan answer your question

Thanks, as I am contemplating restoring my game after viewing this thread and would like to replace the switches.

#441 7 years ago
Quoted from mac622:

Agreed plus the insides where you're picking out the shells never get polished and looks crappy against the shiny tumbled part. It's much easier and relatively cheap to buy new screws and washers. A box of 100 #6 x 1/2" screws from BoltDepot.com cost only $1.66 and #8 x 1/2" cost only $1.90. A box of 100 external tooh washers costs $2.25.

Yup. And how many types of screws are in a pinball machine with all the different lengths? Maybe 50? There are some real common ones I buy new, but I just can't see throwing away perfectly good fasteners simply because I can buy new. I do throw away a number of them that have issues and use new also.

It may sound stupid, but I guess I pride myself in being able to restore and reuse as many parts in a game as I can. It's kind of a game in itself.

#442 7 years ago

Bryan uses pics like these to show which coil goes where and what the orientation is.

#443 7 years ago

There are the parts for a flipper. New bushing, coil sleeve, spring, end of stroke switch, plunger and linkage and coil stop.

#444 7 years ago

Flippers and pop bumpers

#445 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Yup. And how many types of screws are in a pinball machine with all the different lengths? Maybe 50? There are some real common ones I buy new, but I just can't see throwing away perfectly good fasteners simply because I can buy new. I do throw away a number of them that have issues and use new also.
It may sound stupid, but I guess I pride myself in being able to restore and reuse as many parts in a game as I can. It's kind of a game in itself.

I have the same attitude. If it looks decent (my definition may vary from your definition) and it still works then I leave it alone. Of course, that is after cleaning and tumbling. Rusted and corroded ones get replaced. I've tried "rust busting" but it's just cheaper to replace them. Costs more in electricity to run the equipment than the new parts.

#446 7 years ago

More coils done

#447 7 years ago

do you make all of your own coil wrappers?

#448 7 years ago

do you do anything to keep the coil wrappers from unraveling? I have had problems with new wrappers unraveling and used double-sides scotch tape at the end of the wrapper, curious how others handle that.

#449 7 years ago

100 are made at a time

#450 7 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

I have the same attitude. If it looks decent (my definition may vary from your definition) and it still works then I leave it alone. Of course, that is after cleaning and tumbling. Rusted and corroded ones get replaced. I've tried "rust busting" but it's just cheaper to replace them. Costs more in electricity to run the equipment than the new parts.

Exactly. I've had plenty of games with corrosion so bad damn near every fastener had to be replaced. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1,159.00
$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 1,059.00
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 180.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

There are 839 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-restoration-by-bryan-kelly/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.