Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9363 (resized).JPG
IMG_9362 (resized).JPG
IMG_9365 (resized).PNG
2017-03-10 07_02_30-Stolen Souls - Block Brewing Company _ Photos - Untappd (resized).jpg
IMG_9342 (resized).PNG
IMG_8967 (resized).JPG
IMG_8965 (resized).JPG
IMG_8376 (resized).PNG
IMG_8380 (resized).JPG
IMG_8378 (resized).JPG
IMG_8377 (resized).JPG
IMG_7823 (resized).JPG
IMG_7822 (resized).JPG
IMG_7821 (resized).JPG
IMG_7820 (resized).JPG
IMG_7819 (resized).JPG
There are 839 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 17.
#201 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I'll let Bryan answer that question for you.
But I can tell you this...It is worth it!

Oh I have no doubt it is worth it, I am just trying to get an idea of how much it could set a person back, again knowing there are a ton of factors for each one of these.

#202 7 years ago
Quoted from philwojo:

So what does something like this cost? Not asking for a specific price you are paying as I know each resto is unique and the price will be negotiated, but can someone ballpark me on this. Are we talking $500 or $15,000, or is it usually around some other number? Just trying to get an idea in my head and I know there are a lot of factors, like how much work needs to be done, what extras you want put in to it, etc.
Phil

i thought that it was a ball park $13,000? That includes the cost of the base machine.

#203 7 years ago
Quoted from philwojo:

Oh I have no doubt it is worth it, I am just trying to get an idea of how much it could set a person back, again knowing there are a ton of factors for each one of these.

Bryan will be here to answer that. What machine are you looking to restore?

#204 7 years ago

I am assuming you would provide the machine to Bryan, so I would take that cost out of it, just looking at the work to be done portion.

#205 7 years ago

I have a TAF also, so following this closely.

#206 7 years ago
Quoted from philwojo:

I have a TAF also, so following this closely.

Oh nice!!! I'm sure this will help you make your decision! I'm going with the all black look. It is going to look awesome!

#207 7 years ago

I personally think that if you have a machine you love and plan to keep, you owe it to yourself do a restoration like this

#208 7 years ago

LOL, yea, well wanting to do it and affording it are two totally different things. I've had the machine pushing 20 years now, but don't play it as often as I should.

Great thread, thanks for sharing!

#209 7 years ago
Quoted from philwojo:

LOL, yea, well wanting to do it and affording it are two totally different things.

Yeah, what he said. Love to have Bryan do my EBD. Especially since he's about 25 mins away from me. Maybe some day soon if he can make time for it......

#210 7 years ago
Quoted from philwojo:

LOL, yea, well wanting to do it and affording it are two totally different things. I've had the machine pushing 20 years now, but don't play it as often as I should.
Great thread, thanks for sharing!

You are welcome! Stay tuned....

#211 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Yeah, what he said. Love to have Bryan do my EBD. Especially since he's about 25 mins away from me. Maybe some day soon if he can make time for it......

That would be perfect for you. You don't have to pay for shipping....

#212 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I personally think that if you have a machine you love and plan to keep, you owe it to yourself do a restoration like this

Assuming you have the cash. If not, there are ways you can take your game to the next level without breaking the bank, particularly if you are handy. The top restorers on this site are very generous with their time and tips/information and there is plenty you can do on your own.

#213 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

That would be perfect for you. You don't have to pay for shipping....

Yeah, I've been tempted to ask Bryan because EBD is never leaving, again, and I would love to have it MINT. Than I'd have a really nice casket too. . . .

#214 7 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

Assuming you have the cash. If not, there are ways you can take your game to the next level without breaking the bank, particularly if you are handy. The top restorers on this site are very generous with their time and tips/information and there is plenty you can do on your own.

True. In my case, even if I was handy, I just wouldn't have the time and patience it takes to take on something like this.

#215 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Yeah, I've been tempted to ask Bryan because EBD is never leaving, again, and I would love to have it MINT. Than I'd have a really nice casket too. . . .

It doesn't hurt to ask him

#216 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Yeah, I've been tempted to ask Bryan because EBD is never leaving, again, and I would love to have it MINT. Then I'd have a really nice casket too. . . .

#217 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

It doesn't hurt to ask him

Ummmm, possibly

#218 7 years ago

More bondo is necessary to cover all the imperfections....

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#219 7 years ago

Carriage bolts get polished using a drill and a pad. What a cool trick!!!!

#220 7 years ago

#221 7 years ago

No longer a cool secret but a great restore tip! Bryan always amazes me with new tricks with each restore.

#222 7 years ago

Bolts get a coat of primer and then paint

#223 7 years ago

Removing the last bit of bondo left, almost done with 80 grit. 120 grit is next

#224 7 years ago

Oh, That pencil technique is most awesome!

#225 7 years ago

New rails are installed

#226 7 years ago

You wouldn't be able to tell by looking at the pics but all these areas are as smooth as butter. Primer is next!

#227 7 years ago

Looking good!

#228 7 years ago
Quoted from philwojo:

So what does something like this cost? Not asking for a specific price you are paying as I know each resto is unique and the price will be negotiated, but can someone ballpark me on this. Are we talking $500 or $15,000, or is it usually around some other number? Just trying to get an idea in my head and I know there are a lot of factors, like how much work needs to be done, what extras you want put in to it, etc.
Phil

I don't know what this one will cost until I'm done, but I tell everyone, you can figure on at least $6000. With all the mods around and people wanting plated and powdered trim, color DMD, etc., they're getting more around $7000. I've done them for more than that too.

Interestingly enough, cost is the same for most any game done. That's WPC and WPC-95 games, which is most of what I do. I pretty much do the same thing for every game, so title makes no difference.

#229 7 years ago

Thanks Bryan, at least that gives me a starting point/idea of how much I would need to save up for something like this, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Phil

#230 7 years ago
Quoted from philwojo:

Thanks Bryan, at least that gives me a starting point/idea of how much I would need to save up for something like this, that is exactly what I was looking for.
Phil

And just to clarify, $6000 or better is the restoration cost. You provide the game. It can be a $2000 FT or a $8000 MM. They all cost the same to restore.

#231 7 years ago

That is pretty much it for now. Bryan will work on it some more next week after Expo.

#232 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

They all cost the same to restore.

They are all the same color on the inside...

#233 7 years ago

I've never tried sanding cabinet decals off, I use a heat gun and a scraper. Anyone have opinions on which way is better?

#234 7 years ago

I have only ever sanded them off

#235 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I have only ever sanded them off

Would using paint stripper lift the original silkscreened decals right off?

#236 7 years ago

I guess Bryan decided to work on it some more before heading out to Expo! 3 coats of paint given the to inside of the head. Overspray will make a mess if he paints the head all at the same time....

#237 7 years ago

3 coats. Still real wet. The first 2 coats are relatively light just to get the paint on. The last coat a bit heavier with about 50% overlap to get a nice finish.

#238 7 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Would using paint stripper lift the original silkscreened decals right off?

Not sure but doubtful. Silkscreened cabs were heat laminated vinyl. It's on there good. Sorry to derail op.

#239 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Not sure but doubtful. Silkscreened cabs were heat laminated vinyl. It's on there good. Sorry to derail op.

No worries! It's part of the topic

#240 7 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I've never tried sanding cabinet decals off, I use a heat gun and a scraper. Anyone have opinions on which way is better?

It all depends on what you're dealing with. Prior to the early 90's or so, the artwork was screened directly on the plywood. Then, Williams started using plywood with an outer vinyl material installed from the manufacturer and that's what the artwork was screened to. Most people think this is a decal but it's truly not. I think the only games that got decals installed were CC and MB. On these, the artwork was screened on decal material, then the decal was installed on the cabinet. It's one reason why most of these games had wrinkling issues.

What they used doesn't follow a timeline either. While IJ was made before AFM and has the vinyl material, AFM does not. And some games had the vinyl material on the head and not the bottom cabinet and vise versa.

I've never restored a TAF that had the vinyl material. On this one, you can see in the pics the ink slowly being sanded off. There was no glue involved. If the white had been vinyl, I would have that to deal with.

If screened on wood, I always sand it off. If the vinyl material is used, I'll remove with heat and putty knife and then sand. I've never tried any kind of liquid and never will. I'm too afraid it would drip or run onto the inside or outside of the bottom and cause a stain. I spend too much time making those look nice to have that happen.

I've got more detailed info about artwork about half the way down on page one.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-restoration-started

#241 7 years ago

Time for screening...

#242 7 years ago

Amazing results!

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png

#243 7 years ago

Bottom cabinet ready for primer....

#244 7 years ago

Looking good! It will sit like this for a couple of days. More sanding to come...

#245 7 years ago

Bottom cabinet is painted! Patent text is next....

#246 7 years ago

I notice you use the ROS without a vacuum so I assume you get a decent amount of dust, my shop is smaller and many times there are games nearby that are close to finished so I need to work clean. I have an electric ROS not one that uses compressed air. The way I've tried in the past is heat gun and scraper to remove the decals followed by sprayway 909 orange power plus de-greaser and then scrape all the glue off, then I would sand. Never had problems with raising the grain. This time I tried skipping the de-greaser and scraping and sanding it off using my ROS hooked up to the shop vac. I did 1 side yesterday with 80 grit and it was slow going and used a lot of sandpaper, today I tried 60 grit on the other side and it went much faster. Hooked up to the shop vac the dust wasn't too bad.

McCune uses a festool ( there's a vid on youtube:

) The festool aint cheap so not jumping into that but sure looks quick and easy. But I don't think scared stiff was decals so I'm not sure if you could do this on a decaled game. I know I keep calling them decals but it's really vinyl ( or whatever) coated plywood and the art is silk screened but it's easier to call them decals

Not sure how HEP does it. Anyway hope I'm not hijacking the thread, just trying to share my feedback.

#247 7 years ago

Not a single spec of dust. I am still blowing dust out of my nose from a week ago!

#248 7 years ago

Lots of different ways to strip artwork off a cabinet. Use whatever method works with whatever tools you have. I'd love to own a Festool. I think it's about the quickest, cleanest method. I just can't justify the expense.

#249 7 years ago

This is a thread with both Bryan Kelly's name as well as him, so there are some required images.

Brad

bk_spotted.jpgbk_spotted.jpg

#250 7 years ago

Update on the playfield:

Mr. Christopher Hutchins will be restoring the playfield! Bryan just shipped it this morning. The playfield is going to look incredible! Can't ask for much more than a HEP restored playfield....Thank you Chris!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 180.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 839 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-restoration-by-bryan-kelly/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.