Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9363 (resized).JPG
IMG_9362 (resized).JPG
IMG_9365 (resized).PNG
2017-03-10 07_02_30-Stolen Souls - Block Brewing Company _ Photos - Untappd (resized).jpg
IMG_9342 (resized).PNG
IMG_8967 (resized).JPG
IMG_8965 (resized).JPG
IMG_8376 (resized).PNG
IMG_8380 (resized).JPG
IMG_8378 (resized).JPG
IMG_8377 (resized).JPG
IMG_7823 (resized).JPG
IMG_7822 (resized).JPG
IMG_7821 (resized).JPG
IMG_7820 (resized).JPG
IMG_7819 (resized).JPG
There are 839 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 17.
#701 7 years ago

Switch harness done

IMG_7291 (resized).JPGIMG_7291 (resized).JPG

IMG_7294 (resized).JPGIMG_7294 (resized).JPG

IMG_7295 (resized).JPGIMG_7295 (resized).JPG

#702 7 years ago

Never enough pics....

IMG_7293 (resized).JPGIMG_7293 (resized).JPG

#703 7 years ago

I know it's not finished yet, but based on what I have seen, I'll give you $5,000 cash when it's complete. You pay shipping.
deal?

#704 7 years ago
Quoted from JDD:

I know it's not finished yet, but based on what I have seen, I'll give you $5,000 cash when it's complete. You pay shipping.
deal?

#705 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Never enough pics....

The two pics showing the switches and targets were taken to show Kornfreak how I know where things go. On most everything, there is a specific wire color. It's easy to interchange those three switches above, but not if you pay attention to the wire colors. Same thing with the targets.

Yes, harnesses have a memory, but only about 75%. You're screwed on the other 25%, if you don't take pics.

#706 7 years ago

Bottom half is pretty much done.

IMG_7315 (resized).JPGIMG_7315 (resized).JPG

#707 7 years ago

Bryan, if you don't mind me asking, in your opinion, who are some of the top restorers in the northwest? I am in awe of the work done here, and while I have no immediate plans at all, I could see myself getting a restoration done one day if I happen across a machine with issues and if the work done was similar level quality, but just a little closer to home. (I'd be nervous have anything this lovingly restored shipped).

#708 7 years ago

For those of you interested (myself included) here's how the bookcase is installed and leveled

First of all, Bryan uses different sized bamboo skewers to plug the old holes. They were pretty reamed out. Excellent skills!

IMG_7318 (resized).JPGIMG_7318 (resized).JPG

IMG_7317 (resized).JPGIMG_7317 (resized).JPG

IMG_7320 (resized).JPGIMG_7320 (resized).JPG

#709 7 years ago

Having issues posting right now...I'll continue in a few....

#710 7 years ago

Position bookcase in place....

IMG_7316 (resized).JPGIMG_7316 (resized).JPG

#711 7 years ago

Now comes the leveling part...

IMG_7323 (resized).JPGIMG_7323 (resized).JPG

#712 7 years ago

Big plastic nut locks it all in place.

IMG_7324 (resized).JPGIMG_7324 (resized).JPG

#713 7 years ago

Silver threaded piece raises and lowers the whole bookcase.

Once level with playfield you tighten the plastic nut.

IMG_7325 (resized).JPGIMG_7325 (resized).JPG

#714 7 years ago

Not done yet...

It's never quite level. Here the left side is perfect and the right side is too high.

IMG_7326 (resized).JPGIMG_7326 (resized).JPG

#715 7 years ago

Adding a small washer under this mounting point does the trick!

IMG_7328 (resized).JPGIMG_7328 (resized).JPG

IMG_7327 (resized).JPGIMG_7327 (resized).JPG

#716 7 years ago

IMG_7329 (resized).JPGIMG_7329 (resized).JPG

#717 7 years ago

Book mod installed
IMG_7333 (resized).JPGIMG_7333 (resized).JPG
IMG_7334 (resized).JPGIMG_7334 (resized).JPG

#718 7 years ago

boy that table looks great

#719 7 years ago
Quoted from Bronty:

Bryan, if you don't mind me asking, in your opinion, who are some of the top restorers in the northwest? I am in awe of the work done here, and while I have no immediate plans at all, I could see myself getting a restoration done one day if I happen across a machine with issues and if the work done was similar level quality, but just a little closer to home. (I'd be nervous have anything this lovingly restored shipped).

There are a lot of guys around that do restoration work. Some post here and many don't. I don't know anyone in the northwest area. Jim McCune is in Utah and probably the closest to you. Jim does beautiful work and I would highly recommend him. He doesn't post here anymore and I'm not sure how much restoration work he does now.

Feel free to send me a game sometime. I've had hundreds of games shipped in and out of here over the years. Unless you can find someone within driving distance, it's your only choice.

#720 7 years ago

Okay, thanks Bryan!

#721 7 years ago

Curious as to what make/type of LEDs you're using in the inserts. One of the photos above showed the mansion LEDs going in, and happened to notice the use of yellow and orange LEDs in the yellow and orange mansion inserts. I've generally gone with 1 SMD sunlight whites from COMETs here because yellow and orange LEDs tend to be dull in brightness unless you use the 2 SMD LEDs. I found the 2 SMDs were too bright for title, but as always, it's a matter of personal taste!

#722 7 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Curious as to what make/type of LEDs you're using in the inserts. One of the photos above showed the mansion LEDs going in, and happened to notice the use of yellow and orange LEDs in the yellow and orange mansion inserts. I've generally gone with 1 SMD sunlight whites from COMETs here because yellow and orange LEDs tend to be dull in brightness unless you use the 2 SMD LEDs. I found the 2 SMDs were too bright for title, but as always, it's a matter of personal taste!

Yeah, don't get me started on choice of LED's. It might drive me to drink. I used to buy the game kits, but they were never correct and sometimes I would get different LED's for the same type insert. It made no sense. Sometimes it made no sense why some types were even sent. They were also expensive.

I now keep it simple. I use Comet twin 2835's with frosted tops. I use natural light for GI and color match for the inserts. Boom. Done. I keep my sanity. I learned this from a guy I did 3 games for and I really liked it. Many guys I do games for, like to play around with different colors once they get the game back. That's their choice.

What I have really started to push, and most guys go with it, is the LED OCD board for the controlled lamps. The end result is amazing. You get a bright game along with the slow on and off you get with incandescents instead of the stark instant on and instant off. If you have LED's in your game, you really need to try this.

Like you said, though, it's all personal taste.

#723 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

What I have really started to push, and most guys go with it, is the LED OCD board for the controlled lamps. The end result is amazing. You get a bright game along with the slow on and off you get with incandescents instead of the stark instant on and instant off. If you have LED's in your game, you really need to try this.

I second this motion. LED OCD is fantastic at making LEDs look good, instead of like a spastic flickery mess.

#724 7 years ago

Thing assembly

IMG_7375 (resized).JPGIMG_7375 (resized).JPG

#725 7 years ago

Pop bumper installation is next....Gotta get everything out of the way.

IMG_7377 (resized).JPGIMG_7377 (resized).JPG

IMG_7378 (resized).JPGIMG_7378 (resized).JPG

IMG_7379 (resized).JPGIMG_7379 (resized).JPG

#726 7 years ago

Notice the clear tubing. It goes on the lead that goes between the bracket leg. Too easy for a short otherwise.

IMG_7382 (resized).JPGIMG_7382 (resized).JPG

IMG_7381 (resized).JPGIMG_7381 (resized).JPG

#727 7 years ago

IMG_7383 (resized).JPGIMG_7383 (resized).JPG

#728 7 years ago

Wiring done

IMG_7385 (resized).JPGIMG_7385 (resized).JPG

IMG_7384 (resized).JPGIMG_7384 (resized).JPG

#729 7 years ago

bryan's got tiny "trump" hands

#730 7 years ago

Now the spoon switches. These need to be installed with the top of the skirt centered in the spoon.

IMG_7386 (resized).JPGIMG_7386 (resized).JPG

#731 7 years ago

This game looks FANTASTIC!

Wow

#732 7 years ago

These switches get adjusted so they're as close as possible without vibration causing them to touch.

IMG_7387 (resized).JPGIMG_7387 (resized).JPG

IMG_7389 (resized).JPGIMG_7389 (resized).JPG

#733 7 years ago

There's the switches.

IMG_7388 (resized).JPGIMG_7388 (resized).JPG

#734 7 years ago

There's the coils. Notice the different colored small wires. That tells Bryan where the wires go.

IMG_7390 (resized).JPGIMG_7390 (resized).JPG

#735 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

bryan's got tiny "trump" hands

Shouldn't you be out buying some vinyl sticker stock?

#736 7 years ago

Last up the rings.

IMG_7392 (resized).JPGIMG_7392 (resized).JPG

#737 7 years ago

Pops done....nice job

IMG_7390 (resized).JPGIMG_7390 (resized).JPG

IMG_7376 (resized).JPGIMG_7376 (resized).JPG

IMG_7391 (resized).JPGIMG_7391 (resized).JPG

#738 7 years ago

IMG_7394 (resized).JPGIMG_7394 (resized).JPG

#739 7 years ago

Opinion: Blue flasher caps on top and red on bottom Or Viceversa?

IMG_7397 (resized).PNGIMG_7397 (resized).PNG

IMG_7398 (resized).PNGIMG_7398 (resized).PNG

#740 7 years ago

Pretty much done. Just missing the thing box and diverter mech.

IMG_7403 (resized).JPGIMG_7403 (resized).JPG

#741 7 years ago

Protective felt installed

IMG_7404 (resized).JPGIMG_7404 (resized).JPG

IMG_7405 (resized).JPGIMG_7405 (resized).JPG

#742 7 years ago

Gotta ask Bryan because I have only pulled a PF once. HOW do you get the fully assembled MINT playfield back in there without a scratch/scuff anything?

#743 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

There are a lot of guys around that do restoration work. Some post here and many don't. I don't know anyone in the northwest area. Jim McCune is in Utah and probably the closest to you. Jim does beautiful work and I would highly recommend him. He doesn't post here anymore and I'm not sure how much restoration work he does now.
Feel free to send me a game sometime. I've had hundreds of games shipped in and out of here over the years. Unless you can find someone within driving distance, it's your only choice.

I've been fortunate to have three games restored by Bryan and all three arrived back home undamaged in shipping. Bryan does a spectacular job protecting the pins for shipment. He ships them back on a pallet protected by multiple layers of blankets, cardboard and shrink wrap.

#744 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Shouldn't you be out buying some vinyl sticker stock?

shouldn't you be focused on restoring this machine for the owner instead of texting me 10x a day?

#745 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Gotta ask Bryan because I have only pulled a PF once. HOW do you get the fully assembled MINT playfield back in there without a scratch/scuff anything?

Very, very carefully, grasshoppa.

First, you need to have some kind of a lift whereby you can remove the legs and basically have the game sitting on the floor. Without this, I don't know how you'd do it by yourself.

Drape some thin towels over the cabinet sides in the back where the playfield will be set.

Set the playfield next to the cabinet on it's back with the bottom of the playfield facing you. It should be vertical. Zip tie all the harnesses to the bottom of the playfield.

I then set a stool next to the cabinet towards the back. Lift the playfield onto the stool. Now, with one foot in the cabinet, set the playfield in place.

Piece O' cake.

#746 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

shouldn't you be focused on restoring this machine for the owner instead of texting me 10x a day?

If you would just do what I asked you to do a couple of months ago, I wouldn't have to be texting you today.

F'ing kids!!!

#747 7 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

I've been fortunate to have three games restored by Bryan and all three arrived back home undamaged in shipping. Bryan does a spectacular job protecting the pins for shipment. He ships them back on a pallet protected by multiple layers of blankets, cardboard and shrink wrap.

Thanks, Damon. I highly doubt there are many guys within driving distance of someone who provides restoration services. Shipping is just a necessary evil.

#748 7 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Let's just say, I'd take a video but my hands are kind of full.

#749 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

If you would just do what I asked you to do a couple of months ago, I wouldn't have to be texting you today.
F'ing kids!!!

LOL. you're only like 3-4 years older than I am. now I know why I like McCune and Hutchins better than you

#750 7 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

thank you for that!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 180.00
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,159.00
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

There are 839 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-restoration-by-bryan-kelly/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.