Topic Stats

• 839 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by KornFreak28
  • Topic is favorited by 90 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 658 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_9363 (resized).JPG
IMG_9362 (resized).JPG
IMG_9365 (resized).PNG
2017-03-10 07_02_30-Stolen Souls - Block Brewing Company _ Photos - Untappd (resized).jpg
IMG_9342 (resized).PNG
IMG_8967 (resized).JPG
IMG_8965 (resized).JPG
IMG_8376 (resized).PNG
IMG_8380 (resized).JPG
IMG_8378 (resized).JPG
IMG_8377 (resized).JPG
IMG_7823 (resized).JPG
IMG_7822 (resized).JPG
IMG_7821 (resized).JPG
IMG_7820 (resized).JPG
IMG_7819 (resized).JPG

There are 839 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 17.
#601 2 years ago

Even though the LED's are the correct color when lit, Bryan still puts a condom on them so they look right. They do however have to be trimmed to fit.

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

#602 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Bryan,
try this for your hands
http://www.amanashops.com/product/wool-wax-creme/amana-totes-and-specialty-items?gclid=COjzm-_5j9ACFRCqaQod71UIrw
woolwax if the BEST stuff for dry cracking hands. Dries, not greasy, and you can really slop it on at night to help repair your hands (your most important tool; so take care of them)
Learned this one from both my grandpa and my pops. Manly men, tale care of their hands!

I hate to say it, Hilton, but working construction, my whole life, I've always had manly hands. It's literally all I've ever known. I thought they would get better now that I'm only dealing with restorations, but they may be getting worse. If you've ever stripped an entire game apart, playfield and all, you know how black your hands can get. I don't even want to know how many times I wash my hands throughout the day. A dozen maybe? And it's with some relatively strong cleaners.

I'll seriously give this stuff a try. Thanks!!

#603 2 years ago

Amazing work (obviously) Brian. Kudos!

6k looks like a sweet deal for all of this.

But, should we note: it looks like Korn freak also provided a lot of spendy (hard to find) parts no?

#604 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Even though the LED's are the correct color when lit, Bryan still puts a condom on them so they look right. They do however have to be trimmed to fit.

I find this particular modification 'fantastic'. really out of the box thinking.
I wonder if it is really the best solution?
definitely gonna try it out

#605 2 years ago

How do you get the old rivets out?

I too like the condoms. Something just doesnt look right without them.

#606 2 years ago
Quoted from Badamack:

Amazing work (obviously)
But, should we note: it looks like Korn freak also provided a lot of spendy (hard to find) parts no?

Not sure what you mean. Kornfreak sent me a semi decent game to restore. That's it.

#607 2 years ago

Oh.
Wow.

I thought all the parts like plastics and nos topper were parts George bought and saved up over time.
You are providing those too Bryan?
Just. Wow.

#608 2 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

How do you get the old rivets out?
I too like the condoms. Something just doesnt look right without them.

You drill'em out

#609 2 years ago
Quoted from Badamack:

Oh.
Wow.
I thought all the parts like plastics and nos topper were parts George bought and saved up over time.
You are providing those too Bryan?
Just. Wow.

Yes sir! Just give him your game, and he'll take care of the rest for ya!

#610 2 years ago
Quoted from Badamack:

Oh.
Wow.

Oh hell no!!!!!

#611 2 years ago

Just for the hell of it, I kept track of the number of vendors I had to deal with on the last restore I did, which was a FH.

I think most would think it's maybe 8. Turned out to be 17.

#612 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Just for the hell of it, I kept track of the number of vendors I had to deal with on the last restore I did, which was a FH.

#613 2 years ago

I'm ready to print the cards, how long do they have to be?? Thanks!

#614 2 years ago

Is there a technique and/or tool to getting leaf blades back flat once clean? I've got a leaf adjustment tool, but a couple on my TAF are just wonky like yours were.

#615 2 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Is there a technique and/or tool to getting leaf blades back flat once clean? I've got a leaf adjustment tool, but a couple on my TAF are just wonky like yours were.

I'll let Bryan answer that question

#616 2 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Not really any kind of technique. I use an adjustment tool like yours and a small needle nose pliers.

#617 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Hi George,

The trick in printing apron cards is to make sure that the apron cards are sized properly in the file before you print it out. In the file that I sent to you (TAF.docx), both cards are already sized correctly for TAF so you need to put an 8.5" x 11" piece of photo paper into your printer and print it out (both cards will print on the same sheet of photo paper).

I use a paper trimmer to trim the apron cards once the file has been printed. Something like the paper trimmer shown below.

amazon.com link »

Most of the web sites that have the free apron cards have already properly sized the apron cards so all you have to do is print them and trim them.

Gord

#618 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

They should be 3.25" X 6".

#619 2 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Hi George,
The trick in printing apron cards is to make sure that the apron cards are sized properly in the file before you print it out. In the file that I sent to you (TAF.docx), both cards are already sized correctly for TAF so you need to put an 8.5" x 11" piece of photo paper into your printer and print it out (both cards will print on the same sheet of photo paper).
I use a paper trimmer to trim the apron cards once the file has been printed. Something like the paper trimmer shown below.
amazon.com link »
Most of the web sites that have the free apron cards have already properly sized the apron cards so all you have to do is print them and trim them.
Gord

Hi Gord!

Ok so I just print them at 100% correct?

#620 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

They should be 3.25" X 6".

Thanks so much!

#621 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Hi Gord!
Ok so I just print them at 100% correct?

Correct, the file that I sent to you should be printed out at 100%. Also, most of websites that have the free apron cards are also setup to print at 100%.

Gord

#622 2 years ago

I use Microsoft digital image pro. I use 4X6 photo paper to print cards, not much waste. I use custom settings on my printer. 6 X 3.375 and change to print borderless. Trim with paper cutter.

#623 2 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Correct, the file that I sent to you should be printed out at 100%. Also, most of websites that have the free apron cards are also setup to print at 100%.
Gord

Got it! Thanks Gord!!!

#624 2 years ago
Quoted from smiley:

I use Microsoft digital image pro. I use 4X6 photo paper to print cards, not much waste. I use custom settings on my printer. 6 X 3.375 and change to print borderless. Trim with paper cutter.

Awesome!

#625 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

This is what I've been ranting about lately, don't know what's going on but I am spending way more time than I used to hunting down parts and have to go through lots of different sellers to get what I need. It really slows down the restoration when you don't have what you need.

#626 2 years ago

Brian whats the overall length width and depth of theses support rails also what degree of angle do you cut them at?

IMG_0870 (resized).JPG

#627 2 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

Brian whats the overall length width and depth of theses support rails also what degree of angle do you cut them at?

They're cut at a 45 degree angle so the perpendicular sides are 1". Not sure of the length. They've been thrown away.

I had some plywood damage when I removed the bottom, so I cut mine 1 1/4" to hide it. I also cut mine longer.

#628 2 years ago

looking good so far old man kelly!

#629 2 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

looking good so far old man kelly!

All I need now is for Hutchins to quit drinking beer and finish up the playfield and I'm back in business.

#630 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

All I need now is for Hutchins to quit drinking beer and finish up the playfield and I'm back in business.

at least he's drinking something that can actually be called beer. btw, did you call your mom like we asked you to for your next beer shopping excursion so that she can direct you to the good stuff?

I'm surprised you didn't show that you've really been drinking this stuff, and exclaiming that you've been getting hammered from it

bryans-idea-of-beer (resized).jpeg

#631 2 years ago

Hey Bryan
Great job, as usual.
Do you ever install mylar on restored playfields? If so, what areas? Jet bumpers, slings, ball drops?
Thanks
Wally

#632 2 years ago

Bryan Kelly is the master of pinball restoration, I've learned so much from shop logs like this.

Amazing job on the TAF, I'm very jealous haha!

#633 2 years ago

Time for the apron. Apron is painted then scuff sanded before decal goes on. Decal is too large so Bryan trims it. Apron gets cleared after decals are applied. That's what the apron looks like after scuff sanding. It has to be scuffed so the clear has something to bite to.

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

#634 2 years ago

Installed like all the other decals.

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

#635 2 years ago

Center one done the same way.

image (resized).jpeg

#636 2 years ago

That's it. Off to be cleared.

image (resized).jpeg

#637 2 years ago
Quoted from wallybgood:

Hey Bryan
Great job, as usual.
Do you ever install mylar on restored playfields? If so, what areas? Jet bumpers, slings, ball drops?
Thanks
Wally

Ball drops only, Wally.

#638 2 years ago

For the thing box, I decided to do something a little different. Instead of sticking a decal on it, I decided to send it off to The Modfather for custom painting! I think He did an AMAZING job!!

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

#639 2 years ago

That's a sweet thing box.
Just for giggles, This ain't no Bryan Kelly!!! Lol

image (resized).jpeg

#640 2 years ago

Unfortunately the box has to be modified a bit because the rivets will interfere with the plastics. I'm sure Modfather will come up with something just as great!

#641 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Unfortunately the box has to be modified a bit because the rivets will interfere with the plastics. I'm sure Modfather will come up with something just as great!

Yup. The rivets could be painted on, but anything 3 dimensional will cause mounting issues.

#642 2 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

100 are made at a time

Bryan, I have a question for you. Other than the current rating of the contact, the difference between the DB3 switches you have been using and the DB5 you posted the link for at Pinball Life, appears to be the operating force to operate the switch.

According to the CHERRY catalogue, the 3 requires 150 grams of pressure and the 5 requires only 70 grams. Have you ever found any issues using these switches? The original switch WMS used, the DA3 is no longer available, it had an operating pressure of 90 grams.

#643 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

Bryan, I have a question for you. Other than the current rating of the contact, the difference between the DB3 switches you have been using and the DB5 you posted the link for at Pinball Life, appears to be the operating force to operate the switch.
According to the CHERRY catalogue, the 3 requires 150 grams of pressure and the 5 requires only 70 grams. Have you ever found any issues using these switches? The original switch WMS used, the DA3 is no longer available, it had an operating pressure of 90 grams.

I've not had an issue using the DB3, other than, the actuator needs a tad more travel before it actuates the switch. This is easily fixed by slightly bending the actuator.

#644 2 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I've not had an issue using the DB3, other than, the actuator needs a tad more travel before it actuates the switch. This is easily fixed by slightly bending the actuator.

Thanks Bryan, much appreciated. I'm looking at placing a bulk order of switches and wanted to be sure others hadn't experienced any problems.

#645 2 years ago

Done!

image (resized).jpeg

#646 2 years ago

The thing box had to be modified. Unfortunately, The rivets had to go

But Modfather was nice enough to remove them and install Copperfoil punchout holes instead. No more issues with the rivets getting in the way! I would like to thank Modfather for an outstanding job and also mention that even though he had to pretty much do the same work twice, he was very understanding and didn't charge me a penny more. I did however, paid him a little extra just to keep things fair. Thanks Modfather! Awesome job!!!

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

#647 2 years ago

Check out the wood grain detail!

image (resized).png

#648 2 years ago

Wow, genuine imitation planking!

2 weeks later
#649 2 years ago

radio silence ?

#650 2 years ago
Quoted from JDD:

radio silence ?

We be waitin for parts.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
€ 3.70
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
There are 839 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 17.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside