Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9363 (resized).JPG
IMG_9362 (resized).JPG
IMG_9365 (resized).PNG
2017-03-10 07_02_30-Stolen Souls - Block Brewing Company _ Photos - Untappd (resized).jpg
IMG_9342 (resized).PNG
IMG_8967 (resized).JPG
IMG_8965 (resized).JPG
IMG_8376 (resized).PNG
IMG_8380 (resized).JPG
IMG_8378 (resized).JPG
IMG_8377 (resized).JPG
IMG_7823 (resized).JPG
IMG_7822 (resized).JPG
IMG_7821 (resized).JPG
IMG_7820 (resized).JPG
IMG_7819 (resized).JPG
There are 839 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 17.
#551 7 years ago
Quoted from smiley:

Very interesting thread, I am enjoying it immensely. Kornfreak are you staying with Bryan though this process?

Not that I'm aware of.

#552 7 years ago
Quoted from smiley:

Well your location is in Texas and Bryan's in Minnesota. So are you in Minnesota? I love all the pics, but you must be there to take them.

Nope. All the pics are taken on my Iphone as the work is done and sent to Kornfreak.

#553 7 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Love this thread. Thanks for the great pictures and sharing the journey.
I know this question is a little late in the process but when rebuilding the cabinet why use MDF/particle board for the bottom? Aside from trying to match the original BOM wouldn't it make more sense to use plywood ?

Allow me to be blunt. Because it would look like shit!!

Sorry, but in this case, I want original. Not plywood that would look totally out of place.

#554 7 years ago

Cool, so why don't you just post them as your's?

#555 7 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

This switch has seen better days!

Actually, all the micro switches get replaced throughout the entire game.

#556 7 years ago
Quoted from smiley:

Likely because that would be somewhat of a PITA for Bryan. It is fairly simple for Bryan to snap photos on his iPhone and send them to George i.e. Kornfreak with very little effort and then letting George upload the photos to this forum.

Please correct me if I am wrong Bryan.

Gord

#557 7 years ago
Quoted from smiley:

I did that once with an IJ restoration two or three years ago. I can't remember how many hours were spent taking pics and posting everything at the end of the day, but it was lots. Way more than I want to spend ever doing again.

What Kornfreak is showing is only some of the pics I text (along with colorful descriptions) to anyone I do a restoration for. With phones now, it's just too simple. What they do with the pics is their business.

Koenfreak asked if he could share them here and I said sure. Leaves me lots more time to actually work on the game.

#558 7 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Likely because that would be somewhat of a PITA for Bryan. It is simple for him to snap photos on his iPhone and send them to George ie Kornfreak with very little effort and letting George upload the photos to this forum.
Gord

Ding ding ding. You are correct, Gord. This way, George has to do all the work!!!!

#559 7 years ago

Here's the IJ thread I did about three years ago. Most things I still do the same, but some things are done differently and better. It was fun to update the thread to start with, but after a while it got kind of old.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-restoration-started

#560 7 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Likely because that would be somewhat of a PITA for Bryan. It is fairly simple for Bryan to snap photos on his iPhone and send them to George i.e. Kornfreak with very little effort and then letting George upload the photos to this forum.
Gord

That would be correct Gord! It was my idea to start this thread for you guys

#561 7 years ago

Awesome thread. Always learning new things here!

#562 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Ding ding ding. You are correct, Gord. This way, George has to do all the work!!!!

LOL! Gotta love this guy

#563 7 years ago

I just think its super cool to share this info with the community. Hope you guys are enjoying it cause it's a lot of work!!!!

George

#564 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I've done a few different styles before. C and D were the most popular. I did B for myself since I redid the apron graphics in full color as well and made that set of cards to match it.
If there's one in particular you like, I can post the PDF of it and you can print it out yourself.

Can you post it for all 4? Thanks!!

#565 7 years ago

I understand. Bryan takes tons of pics, Kornfreak decides which to post and adds commentary. Thanks to both of you for doing this.

#566 7 years ago
Quoted from smiley:

I understand. Bryan takes tons of pics, Kornfreak decides which to post and adds commentary. Thanks to both of you for doing this.

Exactly. I post almost all of the pics I get from Bryan. Impossible to post them all. Too many of them.

#567 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Exactly. I post almost all of the pics I get from Bryan. Impossible to post them all. Too many of them.

You wouldn't get so many pics if you didn't ask so many questions.

#568 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

I've done a few different styles before. C and D were the most popular. I did B for myself since I redid the apron graphics in full color as well and made that set of cards to match it.
If there's one in particular you like, I can post the PDF of it and you can print it out yourself.

Can you post B and C please??

#569 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

LMAO!!!! Ooooopsssss

#570 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Here's the IJ thread I did about three years ago. Most things I still do the same, but some things are done differently and better. It was fun to update the thread to start with, but after a while it got kind of old.

I discovered that IJ thread quite some time ago and it's an absolute gem. Like this one. I'm working through a TZ at the moment and have a TAF in totes. This thread is priceless. This will be my third TAF but reading this I still see things I don't know about (not that I'm saying I know that much).

I take photos but after a while I've seen the same things so I tend to forget. The other aspect of allowing the owner to deal with the photos is that the owner is almost always excited to see the progress and share it. It's different if you're doing the work. At least that's how I see it. I just want to get to the next thing so I can make progress. I don't want to have to worry about updating some thread and posting some pictures. As an example of this ... the TAF I tore down had 4 out of 5 metal yolks broken in the pop bumper mechanisms. Seen it before many times. Particularly on heavily played games that have never been serviced. It's fascinating the first time. It gets old quickly.

#571 7 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

I discovered that IJ thread quite some time ago and it's an absolute gem. Like this one. I'm working through a TZ at the moment and have a TAF in totes. This thread is priceless. This will be my third TAF but reading this I still see things I don't know about (not that I'm saying I know that much).
I take photos but after a while I've seen the same things so I tend to forget. The other aspect of allowing the owner to deal with the photos is that the owner is almost always excited to see the progress and share it. It's different if you're doing the work. At least that's how I see it. I just want to get to the next thing so I can make progress. I don't want to have to worry about updating some thread and posting some pictures. As an example of this ... the TAF I tore down had 4 out of 5 metal yolks broken in the pop bumper mechanisms. Seen it before many times. Particularly on heavily played games that have never been serviced. It's fascinating the first time. It gets old quickly.

Very well said! I'm glad you like this thread! Actually it's a team effort. Bryan still has to pause during the restoration process to take pics and answer the countless questions I ask him (trying to learn as much as I can from him) he keeps me updated on the progress of the restoration and that takes a lot of time from him. There is a thread out there on a CFTBL restoration Bryan did. That restoration caught my eye big time! I saw how Bryan kept his customer updated at all times. Bryan basically let his customer be part of the restoration. I really liked that about Bryan. As a customer restoring my beloved TAF I want to be part of it as much as possible and Bryan makes this possible by taking the time to text me pics and answering questions. So pretty much this thread is a team effort and it would certainly not be possible without Bryan's help.

#572 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

You're a saint.

#573 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Allow me to be blunt. Because it would look like shit!!
Sorry, but in this case, I want original. Not plywood that would look totally out of place.

100% correct. I had a mild disagreement with a family member trying to convince me to replace an early Bally bottom with melamine. No thanks. There is something about seeing woodgrain on the bottom that is very disconcerting

#574 7 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

Holy crap. With this level of restoration, 6k to have this done seems like a decent deal. Great thread.

This, I'd say, is the biggest reason for sharing pics and getting the customer involved in the restoration process. Once done, he sees exactly how much work and what's involved in restoring a game.

#575 7 years ago

There's the sling switches out of the tumbler and blades straightened out.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#576 7 years ago

Switch harness is done with all new targets and switches!

#577 7 years ago

This is the coil harness. Not much to do to this but fix a couple of hacks.

#578 7 years ago

There's the five of them done. Three for the playfield and two for the cabinet.

#579 7 years ago

That's a wrap for a little while. Bryan is waiting on parts....

#580 7 years ago

Almost forgot to show you guys this pic! Looks good doesn't it?

#581 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Almost forgot to show you guys this pic! Looks good doesn't it?

A simple artistic change Chris made on his TAF that I used here. Let's give credit where credit is due.

#582 7 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

A simple artistic change Chris made on his TAF that I used here. Let's give credit where credit is due.

Oh yeah! That was another cool idea we got from Chris!

#583 7 years ago

Well, I guess Bryan got some parts today!!! New plastics have arrived! Time to transfer everything from the old to the new.

#584 7 years ago

OP, email sent with the PDFs.

For anyone else that might want any of those cards, I'm certain I've posted them before here on Pinside, most likely in the TAF club thread as well as a thread I most likely started, a couple years ago. If you can't find them doing a search, let me know and I can email them to you. I don't really want to derail this thread. I enjoy the resto progress just as much as everyone else and dream of doing this to mine at some point, too!

#585 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

OP, email sent with the PDFs.
For anyone else that might want any of those cards, I'm certain I've posted them before here on Pinside, most likely in the TAF club thread as well as a thread I most likely started, a couple years ago. If you can't find them doing a search, let me know and I can email them to you. I don't really want to derail this thread. I enjoy the resto progress just as much as everyone else and dream of doing this to mine at some point, too!

Don't worry about derailing the thread! You are helping out! Thank you!!!

Do I print these cards on regular office paper?

#586 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Don't worry about derailing the thread! You are helping out! Thank you!!!
Do I print these cards on regular office paper?

Photo paper if you want them to be sexy.

#587 7 years ago

New ramp flaps first.

#588 7 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Photo paper if you want them to be sexy.

Cool! Yeah sexy is good

#589 7 years ago

Bryan uses plastic protectors too...Isn't that nice?

#590 7 years ago

New plastics have slightly smaller holes, Bryan uses a drill to make them a tad bigger. Just enough to get the spacers in

#591 7 years ago

Bryan,

try this for your hands
http://www.amanashops.com/product/wool-wax-creme/amana-totes-and-specialty-items?gclid=COjzm-_5j9ACFRCqaQod71UIrw

woolwax if the BEST stuff for dry cracking hands. Dries, not greasy, and you can really slop it on at night to help repair your hands (your most important tool; so take care of them)

Learned this one from both my grandpa and my pops. Manly men, tale care of their hands!

#592 7 years ago

This one is pretty simple. Just move the dome over.....Well, simple for Bryan that is

Rivet Press is used for the rivets BTW...

#593 7 years ago

#594 7 years ago

#595 7 years ago

More rivets...

#596 7 years ago

This is beautiful work SIR!

#597 7 years ago

Easy

#598 7 years ago

Pain in the ass!!

#599 7 years ago

#600 7 years ago

Rivet press

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 1,159.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 839 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-restoration-by-bryan-kelly/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.