Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by rkahr
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I have been following the pinwiki for the reset issue, and if I unplug then replug J101, the issue goes away for a while. So, I will make an early bet this may the culprit. I want to repin it, but I have not done that before. Pinwiki had some suggestions, but am hoping someone could confirm the part numbers. This is what I was planning to get, at Great Plains:
1028-CT crimper
11-03-0016 Contact Extraction Tool
26-48-1241 Connector, 0.156" Header, 24 Pin
08-52-0125 Crimp Contact, 0.156", Trifurcon, 22-26AWG
For the female, which of these?
09-50-8071 or 09-01-6071

Is there a repinning how-to on line?

Thanks for any help!

#3 8 years ago

I'd go with:

W-HT-1919-K crimper
26-48-1245 header
CS156-xx-LR connector (xx = #of pins)
08-52-0113 trifurcon contact (18-20ga)
15-04-0219 keying plug

You don't need a contact extraction tool. Just cut the wire close to the IDC housing, strip and crimp with the B crimp slot on the crimper. Crimp over the insulation with the A crimp slot. Follow along with the link Russ posted above.

#4 8 years ago

Get the 18-20ga pins like schudel5 suggested, not the 22-26ga ones you listed. Also just get a bunch of big headers and housings (e.g. CS156-20-LR and 26-48-1245). Stocking up on multiple sizes (assuming this is not the only connector you will replace ever) is a waste of time and space, just cut the connectors to size with a wire cutter when you use them. 09-01-6071 is an edge connector, not what you want. Get a bunch of extra pins because you're going to mess up some crimps.

#5 8 years ago

Thank you all for taking the time to provide this info, this is terrific. I really appreciate your help.

2 months later
#6 8 years ago

Just posting to complete this story, for the next person that falls down this rabbit hole. I bought the parts to "fix" J101, and ended doing the standard noobie soldering error and ripped out the throughholes. I then sent the board out to fix what I did, and also to do the standard reset fixes for a WPC. I got the board back, and still had the resets. This meant the problems were not board related. So, I started to do some of the things suggested on the pinwiki. I replaced the thermistor, I replaced the diodes on the main flippers, and I rebuilt the connector to the transformer since it had some loose wires. None of that was effective. Out of concern that the problem was beyond my abilities to locate, I bought the Kahr pro-daughterboard, with the indicator when the 5v would fall to the level of a reset. The daughterboard is GREAT - thank you Kahr! Now I never get a reset, and curiously the daughterboard never signals that the 5v is too low. Maybe I should keep trying to find the reason for the resets without the daughterboard, but hard not to leave well enough alone.

1 month later
#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Renouart:

I bought the Kahr pro-daughterboard, with the indicator when the 5v would fall to the level of a reset. The daughterboard is GREAT - thank you Kahr! Now I never get a reset, and curiously the daughterboard never signals that the 5v is too low.

Renouart,

Just noticed your post - sorry I missed it last month. Your Pin behaves similar to my Party Zone - without a daughterboard it won't stay booted for more than 2 to 3 minutes, but with a daughterboard it takes about 45 to 60 minutes to detect anything that would have caused a reset. Turns out that reducing the draw on the PDB 5 volt line frequently is really impactful in stabilizing the circuit. I'd recommend you lean toward leaving well enough alone, but check those LEDs on the Pro every couple of months. If the PDB 5v supply degrades you will see more frequent triggers and that can be your clue to take the gremlin search off the back burner.

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner kit

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 159.00
$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 180.00
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-reset-parts-to-rebuild-j101 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.