• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0767.jpg
IMG_0768.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Basic question, but I just bought a kit to replace all of the rubber on my Addams Family as well as the pinballbulbs full LED kit. There are a bunch of burned out bulbs on my machine right now and I'm trying to get it in tip top shape. I've never taken a playfield apart before. Is this a very intensive job? I know that some GI bulbs are buried in hard to reach spots and that you need to take certain parts off to get to them. The rubber seems pretty self explanatory. Any words of wisdom for a newcomer? Thanks a bunch!

#2 8 years ago

Pictures.
More pictures.
A few more pictures.

Good tools, not just whatever is handy.

Read up on issues w/ installing LEDS: sometimes they don't light, sometimes they pop out, sometimes they are orientaion sensitive (turn them around).

Clean the parts of the PF you reveal in your rubber change adventure, probably should go all the way and clean all areas.

Take your time, you should be fine, maybe even enjoy it.

Don C.

#3 8 years ago

You can usually get at all the bulbs from under the playfield. I've never owned a TAF, so I don't really know about that game. Rubber, however, you almost always have to do a bit of teardown to get to all of them.

#4 8 years ago

Put all loose parts for each major assy into individual ziplock baggies (left sling, right sling, etc.). Label them if you need to.

When you have an extra screw or nut upon reassembly, you'll know where it came from.

#5 8 years ago

need a philips screwdriver and nut driver socket set. replace lights by removing the sockets from below the playfield is the easiest way to get most of them. On TAF there are some areas that may require lifting the ramp a little to get access in the pop bumper area to change the lights and there is a post with a rubber on it that you can change while you have the ramp loose. It helps with wedge leds if you bend the wire leads to the outside of the led if they are not lighting. You can usually remove wedge sockets on boards by turning the black socket and removing to change the light. I would recommend changing the lights with power off and then periodically turn on machine to check the lights you have installed so that nothing gets shorted while you are working on it. Hope that helps!

#6 8 years ago

Replacing rubber rings you'll have to pull most of the stuff out to get them all replaced. As far as lamps, most GI and flashers you can get to from under the playfield. There is one GI lamp sandwiched between some plastics near the telephone flasher at the back right and one sandwiched between some plastics at the left outlane. Since you have to pull both stack of plastics out, there are a flashers in there too that you might as well change. Those are about the only tough ones I remember.

#7 8 years ago

Awesome! I appreciate the tips everyone. I thought there were GI lights that you could only get to from the top of the playfield. Didn't realize that they were all accessible from the bottom. I'll shoot some photos when I'm done.

#8 8 years ago

I recently replaced the rubbers on my TAF and did a full LED replacement of the bulbs. In addition to all of the good advice you are getting, take lots of pictures of anything the looks complicated when taking it apart to access the rubbers.. If I remember correctly, the back box flashers require an unusual LED (455). If you have a full LED kit, this should not be a problem

#9 8 years ago

You can get to all the GI from the underside like others have said.
Just get a good magnetic nut driver and place a towel in the bottom of the cabinet for any dropped screws or bulbs.
You will thank yourself many times over.
Your back will hurt a bit from getting to the lower down bulbs so take breaks.
Have fun.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

You can get to all the GI from the underside like others have said.
Just get a good magnetic nut driver and place a towel in the bottom of the cabinet for any dropped screws or bulbs.
You will thank yourself many times over.
Your back will hurt a bit from getting to the lower down bulbs so take breaks.
Have fun.

Exactly.....if you are cleaning/ waxing the playfield at the same time, take your time ( and pics) of all the stuff on that plastic ramp assembly....a real pita, as the diverter goes through one side of it, and a fair amount of little screws to deal with....good luck!!!

#11 8 years ago

If you remove lights from underneath, make sure you do it with the power off. I accidently sent some GI voltage through a switch, causing an entire column to go out and now i'm waiting for my new ULN2803A chip to arrive.

If any lights look dim, check for corrosion in the bulb socket.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

If you remove lights from underneath, make sure you do it with the power off. I accidently sent some GI voltage through a switch, causing an entire column to go out and now i'm waiting for my new ULN2803A chip to arrive.
If any lights look dim, check for corrosion in the bulb socket.

Good call. I'll be sure to keep the power off.

#13 8 years ago

Be sure to clean the undersides of the inserts - they can get black with dirt and really obscure the color.

Since replacing all of the rubber will require a lot of disassembly, it's a good time to clean all areas of the playfield, wipe down the plastics, maybe install plastic protector set, cliffy protectors, and consider replacing many of not all of the plastic star posts.

This is a chance to make the whole game really shine.

RussM

#14 8 years ago

Great tip! Never would have thought to clean the underside of inserts.

#15 8 years ago

The amount of black filth under there, and all over the bulbs and the lamp PCBs will amaze you.

RussM

7 months later
#16 7 years ago

What is an estimate of time it would take to do a full shop and install leds in this game, on average?

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from halomojo:

Great tip! Never would have thought to clean the underside of inserts.

I always use a Q-tip and dip in cleaning fluid and wipe the inserts down.

#18 7 years ago

Since you have to replace rubbers as well, I would start from the Front side of the play field. There are some GI/controlled lights that you can not get to from under the playfield (red curtain plastic on the left comes to mind, plus pop-bumpers). You have to pull some plastics anyway to replace the rubbers. By doing so, you can get to some of the lights at the same time. Good time to clean the play filed. Yes, I would go ahead and pull the ramp. You dont need to do a full tear down. Just work in sections, take pictures, and put items in baggies. Once you have complete the topside, then perform the work on the underside.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from Lysurgeon:

What is an estimate of time it would take to do a full shop and install leds in this game, on average?

10-20 hours to do a thorough good job.

YMMV

RM

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 159.00
$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 180.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,159.00
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-replacing-rubbers-adding-leds-basic-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.