(Topic ID: 294291)

TAF Purchase - Need feedback, was this restored, should we keep?

By TAFSWFL

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 95 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by bsobie
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8202 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8201 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8209 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8194 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8208 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8207 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3572 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3583 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider high_end_pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 2 years ago

Restoration does not mean different things to different people when you are talking about something this far off from the implied definition.
If you can return this for a full refund definitely do so.

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

This is by far the most qualified person in this thread to not only define what a restoration is but also give you sound advice. Refund and dont look back. And tell us who the seller is so we can help others steer clear of this experience.

I wish I weren’t but after seeing this scenario play out so many times and often having these type of games and bad experiences filter through here it’s just sad.
I have to say this may well rival the TAF nightmare from last year. That one at least had a new playfield but when I read the story of this and saw the pictures it just gave me a deja vu moment.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-nightmare

#94 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

When I first entered the hobby I had no idea what I was doing. I spent hours researching how to build a game from scratch since I wasn't aware you could even still buy games.
Then my research finally led me to buying my first game. It was completely dead, and pins were completely foreign to me. But it was exciting, and since I was reasonably handy, I thought I could bring it back to life. I did hours more research and asked questions when things were unclear or when I got stuck. Then eventually, after following the advice of the kind folks on the forums, I was able to get my first game up and running.
Everybody's journey is different. The important thing is that the OP recognized something seemed off and asked for help and advice.
Sometimes asking for help and advice can be a difficult thing to do, especially if you think you may have made a mistake.
I don't fault a new buyer at all. What I do fault is your particular attitude towards new people in the hobby. You should know better. I would suggest that you try to make more of an effort to be more understanding.
TAFSWFL, some of the best parts of this hobby are the people in it and how friendly and generous they can be. I know the past year and a half may have been somewhat stressful, so not everyone is quite at their best. But I for one am looking forward to seeing some of my pinball friends in person again. Maybe some of us will get to meet you and your other half at a pinball show for the first time.
If you have any more questions, I'm sure plenty of folks here would be happy to help.

Great story. It made me think back about my own. It seems like this is a hard hobby to break into. It’s probably easier for people with bigger budgets with all the new games and options but for those of us that started in the dark days it was much tougher.
Here is mine. My first experience in the hobby.

Around 2000 I was converting my garage into a gameroom.
A pool table was a must,darts a tv.
I was out and about one day and I stumbled into a “home gameroom store”
There were pins!!!!
I never even thought about having my very own real pinball machine!
I walk the floor and look at the games and prices. In hindsight they were insane but I knew nothing about pinball specifically other than I have always loved playing it and seemed to be pretty good at it compared to others in my various arcade travels.
In this store I can remember there was the following
Hurricane
Breakshot
Creature From the Black Lagoon
Corvette
X files.

Maybe a couple others that didn’t make an impression on me at the time.

I walked up to the counter and asked what would be a good machine.

The owner told me “That Breakshot over there is a whole lotta game for the money!”
It was $2600 the Creature by contrast was $2800.
I said “Great let’s go with that”
Wrote a check for $2600 loaded the game up in the back of my truck with the legs on and head up then booked it home.
A couple friends came by and helped me wrestle it in the house.
We thought it was fun and had no idea what it was supposed to do nor how.
Once everyone cleared out I did what I always do I started investigating it. Looking inside,seeing the test menu stuff like that.
I soon discovered it had numerous bulbs out. A Capcom will tell actually you that specifically and other errors.
Upon discovering that I called the store and was assured they would come out and take care of it.
Great I thought!
Then I dug a little deeper. Seems like the fair market value of this game in excellent condition at that time was $900. This one wasn’t in excellent shape not at all. On top of that it is considered a bit off brand and not a sought after title for the manufacturer.
Okay now I am pissed. Not just because I overpaid by a lot but because I was clearly played for a sucker by the owner of the gameroom store.
“A lot of game for the money?!?!???!?!!!” Get real!
It took some wrangling but after some uncomfortable exchanges and threats I was able to return it for a refund maybe less a little bit but whatever it was agreeable.
I then discovered Brady distributing here in town. They had a home sales division and a perfect refurbished Breakshot for $1000 with a thirty day warranty.
Bought it and the condition was so superior to the first I bought it restored my faith in the hobby and sparked my desire at that time to collect.
After over twenty years in this hobby and obviously the business/service opportunity that it eventually became for me it is pretty amazing to relive that experience.
One of the most rewarding vindication’s of this experience is that eventually both the owner of the gameroom store that suckered me and Brady distributing became customers of my own at some point along the way. I don’t think either are in business anymore but it was flattering at the time.
Full circle without a doubt

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 1,159.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.95
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 159.00
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider high_end_pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-purchase-need-feedback-was-this-restored-should-we-keep?tu=high_end_pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.