Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

index.jpg
slam tilt.jpg
image-490.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I've ignored playing this one for a bit......anyway

a) Hit start button once....immediately went into 2 player mode
b) Heard a random solenoid firing on occasion during the game...couldn't figure out where it was coming from
c) Brief text " warning" would show on screen, accompanied with audible " help me".....
d) Game went back to single player mode before end of game

Where to start?
Batteries, ribbon cable, CPU , etc,?
Just when I think I've seen it all....I've seen nothing.....help!!!.....mark

#2 9 years ago

image-490.jpgimage-490.jpg

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

image-490.jpg 5 KB

Trust me...I thought the same thing!!!....absolutely no alcohol or substances running through me now.....

Thought I imagined it the first time....second time, I stepped back from the machine and uttered "wtf" ( quietly)

Third time just sort of ignored it

I'm going back to play it now......if I don't post in a few days...send someone......

#4 9 years ago

Well.....started me 250k at beginning of game.....then got the "warning" text, along with " help us" audio on ball 2....just did a factory reset....guessing the ROM has to be going south, replacing that will be next step....

#5 9 years ago

My mom has her 3 pins in her bedroom. Her TAF has been weird lately, with the flippers not working and the ball getting stuck in the swamp. But if it started doing what yours is, especially the "help me/us" callout, it would be in the back yard as fast as possible. Good luck with it!

#6 9 years ago

My solution is to sell it to me for under $3K.

Otherwise, go into the switch edges test and see what switch is freaking the switch matrix out.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

My mom has her 3 pins in her bedroom. Her TAF has been weird lately, with the flippers not working and the ball getting stuck in the swamp. But if it started doing what yours is, especially the "help me/us" callout, it would be in the back yard as fast as possible. Good luck with it!

Ha....just did a full factory reset, 4 games in, and seems to be behaving....trust me,I'll be keeping my eye ( and ears) on that joker for awhile.....hearing the " help us" audio w warning text is VERY freaky, to say the least

Quoted from TrainH2o:

My solution is to sell it to me for under $3K.
Otherwise, go into the switch edges test and see what switch is freaking the switch matrix out.

I'm going to do a switch matrix test tomorrow, when more awake....I've had switches go out quite a bit, but never triggering this kind of response .....

I like talking to them...but when they talk to me.....

#8 9 years ago

What does your MPU board look like?

Any damage from leaking batteries?

First place I'd take a real careful look.

RM

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

RM

Agreed.....Batteries seem fine, leak wise ( someone actually soldered a lithium in the holder before I got it).....wonder how long they last?.....that's why I thought the " help us" call out w warning text might be some kind of low battery indication...I've just never seen ( or heard) that before......

#10 9 years ago

What you're hearing as "help us" may actually be the standard tilt warning callout of "careful."

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from skquinn:

What you're hearing as "help us" may actually be the standard tilt warning callout of "careful."

That was my thought. I suppose the "Ghost in the Machine" could be bad ROMs, but the phantom scoring sounds like a problem with the switch matrix.

I know that I had a broken switch wire on TOM. It would register at hit and score with the ball sitting in the shooter lane, and when the ball was on a different part of the playfield. It also confused the switch matrix, causing other things to happen.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from skquinn:

My thought too.....would it also say "warning" on the screen briefly?...I definitely heard " help us" as callout at the same time.....happened mid game, ( 3 different times) no tilting to my knowledge...

Batterie checked good on mpu board, did find a loose ribbon cable....reseated....I'll be playing it more shortly.....

#13 9 years ago

I did seem to hear a solenoid or something " clicking" or firing during the incidents...guess it wouldn't hurt to pop the top and look for shorts somewhere....

#14 9 years ago

I have seen both DANGER and WARNING, on the DMD, of various games, as a tilt warning.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from TrainH2o:

I have seen both DANGER and WARNING, on the DMD, of various games, as a tilt warning.

Just got done playing the machine, and beating it pretty well ( toured the mansion twice)...."danger" and "danger,danger" came up a couple of times throughout, and I would swear its a male callout saying " help us" at the same time, but maybe it's saying " danger"...

I've had the game a few years, and never run into this before.....tilt bob seemed centered, but I will pull the glass and do a switch edge test tomorrow.....it's my oldest, and highest mileage game, and suspect you are right that a switch could be triggering something.( my ramp switches seem a bit odd, as well)....strange

At least it seems the mpu and related is ok.....I think....

#16 9 years ago

That seems the way to go - throw it into Switch Edge test and test every switch in the matrix.

RM

#17 9 years ago

Take a look at your schematics and see what the regulated 12 volts on the driver board control.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

My thought too.....would it also say "warning" on the screen briefly?...I definitely heard " help us" as callout at the same time.....happened mid game, ( 3 different times) no tilting to my knowledge...
Batterie checked good on mpu board, did find a loose ribbon cable....reseated....I'll be playing it more shortly.....

I think TAF goes "warning" then "danger danger" then "TILT". But that is strictly from memory.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from skquinn:

I think TAF goes "warning" then "danger danger" then "TILT". But that is strictly from memory.

Making progress......" Warning", "warning, warning" then "tilt"......the callout is "careful", not "help us" ( whew Blondetail, I can call off the exorcist)....discovered all of this by purposely moving the plumb bob during gameplay...now, I just have to figure out what is causing it.....reseated the connector on the board by the left flipper ( where all the action is for this stuff)....venturing into switch edge test shortly, as I still think there's some problems there......

Obviously, I've been doing work on my WCS, and TRONLE, so it's pissed at me....how dare I play it without giving it some attention first.....

#20 9 years ago

The most worrisome part of this, to me, is that it immediately brought up a second player and then went back to one player mode before the end of the game. The rest of it can be easily explained, but those two problems point to either bad RAM or other weird and not-so-wonderful MPU board problems; in fact, they are more in line with something I'd expect an old EM game to do.

#21 9 years ago

check the tilt on the coin door?

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from skquinn:

The most worrisome part of this, to me, is that it immediately brought up a second player and then went back to one player mode before the end of the game. The rest of it can be easily explained, but those two problems point to either bad RAM or other weird and not-so-wonderful MPU board problems; in fact, they are more in line with something I'd expect an old EM game to do.

Well, I love the game, so it's a keeper....would you just pickup a Rottendog MPU, and some new ROM to put a nail in it....? The board in there is from 1991, and I replaced the power driver board not long after original purchase. I don't want to throw $$$ away, but it seems the new mpu sort of logical...

Do you remember if it's the WPC089-TH, or the WPC-S?......thanks guys....

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from PinsideTroll:

???....think there is just one switch ( door interlock) on my coin door....am I missing something?

#24 9 years ago

That's the slam tilt and would only be checked if the whole game was resetting (I think TAF was one of the games that put diagonal lines across the DMD if slammed).

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from skquinn:

That's the slam tilt and would only be checked if the whole game was resetting (I think TAF was one of the games that put diagonal lines across the DMD if slammed).

Got it....that's the switch mounted to bottom of cab?.....think that one is prob fine, haven't experienced that....definitely worried about the mpu, however.....

#26 9 years ago

slam tilt.jpgslam tilt.jpg

maybe it isnt the problem, but make sure there is gap. here is pic from mine

#27 9 years ago

maybe it isnt the problem, but make sure there is gap. here is pic from mine

slam tilt.jpg 265 KB

My bad.....found it....plenty of gap....when I engage it says "slam tilt" on DMD , and game field resets....

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

RM

^ This.

#29 9 years ago

If your mpu and power driver boards are original and haven't been updated before, they most likely need work, even if they function. Cracked solder joints, burnt headers, caps, etc are all common on these. If you intend to keep it and don't mind a little down time, I would send to someone like Chris Hibler ( if he is taking on work) and have him bulletproof them. May or May not fix your issue, but a worthwhile investment, and cheaper than new boards.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Imeh:

If your mpu and power driver boards are original and haven't been updated before, they most likely need work, even if they function. Cracked solder joints, burnt headers, caps, etc are all common on these. If you intend to keep it and don't mind a little down time, I would send to someone like Chris Hibler ( if he is taking on work) and have him bulletproof them. May or May not fix your issue, but a worthwhile investment, and cheaper than new boards.

Great advise!!!....changed the pb to a Rottendog sometime back, but the mpu board is original....I'll PM Chris....do you have his Pinside name?....thanks .....

#31 9 years ago

"advice"...not "advise".....good grief....

#32 9 years ago

ChrisHibler No space. Not sure if he's taking work or not but he did mine, both boards for my TAF and my TZ. I had also replaced them with RD boards but when we did the restorations, we put the originals back in. Many prefer the originals.

#33 9 years ago

Not trying to hijack your thread, but I had a problem today with my TAF.

The DMD started going crazy and became unreadable. All kinds of raggedy screen to the point I couldn't make out anything. I had a new DMD from another pin and hooked it up and got the same crazy stuff. I'm going to switch out the ribbon cable tomorrow and see if that is the problem, but can you guys think of anything else YOU would check for in case that's not it? Could it be a RAM is going bad?
Thanks,
Mike in Kentucky

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

My mom has her 3 pins in her bedroom. Her TAF has been weird lately, with the flippers not working and the ball getting stuck in the swamp.

There are several switches in the swamp subway. One is probably bad.
Check fuses for flippers for continuity. Visual inspection is often inadequate. Also check flipper voltage.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

Not trying to hijack your thread, but I had a problem today with my TAF.
The DMD started going crazy and became unreadable….can you guys think of anything else YOU would check for in case that's not it? Could it be a RAM is going bad?
Thanks,
Mike in Kentucky

Check power supply to the dmd and the dmd controller.

#36 9 years ago

I've had bad swamp switches before, ran me around a bit till I figured out which ones were bad, when you do your switch test, best to use the ball to actuate each when ever possible. A game I just purchased has all switches working when activated by hand, but not when the ball passes under, over, etc. So using the ball is the best way. One of my Sys11 games was just sitting there in attract mode when it let out a terrible downward repeating spiral sound, when I ran to the room to have a look, the display was signaling something about a bad checksum or something. I managed to catch the location number before it went blank. Turned out that one of the main MPU chips had lost proper contact in the socket during the warmup/expansion of the backbox in attract mode. After pulling, and re seating the chip, that error has never returned. On every chip I always use the De-Ox it in the tube and just wet each chip leg before inserting back into the socket. It makes a world of difference on the ease of removal/install of the chip, and greatly improves the chip to socket connection.

index.jpgindex.jpg
#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinmeister:

There are several switches in the swamp subway. One is probably bad.
Check fuses for flippers for continuity. Visual inspection is often inadequate. Also check flipper voltage.

3 actually, and they must close in the right order....I remember I had a rough time getting it sorted out....no worries on hijacking the thread, btw.....seems lots of TAF issues out there...I spoke w Chris, and may want to hold on a bit until I can actually identify what the %$^&# is going on.....it behaved nicely last night.....mark

#38 9 years ago

Maybe I missed it, did you reseat all the ribbon cables yet?

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Maybe I missed it, did you reseat all the ribbon cables yet?

Actually found a loose one in between the MPU and power board.....I'm blaming it for everything right now...or at least until it shows up again.........

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from HighSpeed1:

I always use the De-Ox it in the tube and just wet each chip leg before inserting back into the socket. It makes a world of difference on the ease of removal/install of the chip, and greatly improves the chip to socket connection.

Never heard of this before, but wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing.
Mike in Kentucky

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from HighSpeed1:

I've had bad swamp switches before, ran me around a bit till I figured out which ones were bad, when you do your switch test, best to use the ball to actuate each when ever possible. A game I just purchased has all switches working when activated by hand, but not when the ball passes under, over, etc. So using the ball is the best way. One of my Sys11 games was just sitting there in attract mode when it let out a terrible downward repeating spiral sound, when I ran to the room to have a look, the display was signaling something about a bad checksum or something. I managed to catch the location number before it went blank. Turned out that one of the main MPU chips had lost proper contact in the socket during the warmup/expansion of the backbox in attract mode. After pulling, and re seating the chip, that error has never returned. On every chip I always use the De-Ox it in the tube and just wet each chip leg before inserting back into the socket. It makes a world of difference on the ease of removal/install of the chip, and greatly improves the chip to socket connection.

index.jpg 10 KB

Like that idea....where do you get this stuff?....thanks

#42 9 years ago

I usually but it from Action Pinball, one little squeeze tube last a very long time. I'm sure you can find it at any of the electronic parts suppliers too. Amazon has it.

http://www.actionpinball.com/elect.htm#misc

http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1,059.00
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-potentially-losing-its-mind and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.