Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by gac
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

So I have two machines I'm currently looking at a TAF for $4200 or a TSPP for $3800? both are currently on location both play fields are in good shape. TAF needs a flipper rebuild and possibly an all around good shop job. Looks like mylar or something was on the play field at one point and then pulled off but left some kind of sticky residue on the play field by the flippers as there is a perfect dirt line area. TSPP is in good shape with really no wear or anything wrong with it.

#2 9 years ago

have both. play TAF more.

#3 9 years ago

add a poll- would be interesting- - have had both- both great games but give my vote to Taf

#4 9 years ago

TAF FTW

#5 9 years ago

Tspp for depth and difficulty.

#6 9 years ago

TAF all the way.

#7 9 years ago

TAF, never got into The Simpsons, so for me its just based on theme alone. It us a very deep game though...

#8 9 years ago

TSPP
Add a poll....

#9 9 years ago

TAF for sure. Shorter ball times.

#10 9 years ago

It's a toss-up for me.

Have both, I like each of them.

#12 9 years ago

Both are fun, but TAF is the winner in my book.

#13 9 years ago

Had both at one time, both excellent games but Addams is still here.

#14 9 years ago

TAF is a great game.How can you go wrong choosing it?

#15 9 years ago

If you like a game that continually offers more as you improve your play, choose TSPP.

If you want a game that shows everything it offers in a shorter time period, choose TAF.

#16 9 years ago

TAF is pulling away!

#17 9 years ago

TAF here . . .

#18 9 years ago

I also have both
I play TAF lots more than TSPP but I enjoy both for different reasons

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from gatordad:

I also have both
I play TAF lots more than TSPP but I enjoy both for different reasons

yup. me too.

#20 9 years ago

Have both. Love both.
TSPP is way deeper...maybe too deep for the average guy (me). TAF is my all time favorite , probably because it was the first game that got me hooked on pinball. That said, you really can't beat TSPP multiball though when you have couch multiball, itchy and scratchy multiball and Homer D'Oh frenzy going on all at once. It's pandemonium.
Wait, I keep going back and forth. They're both awesome. Just buy both.

#21 9 years ago

TAF for sure! TSPP is way too long ball times and confusing to figure out what exactly is going on.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Manbearpig:

TAF for sure! TSPP is way too long ball times and confusing to figure out what exactly is going on.

I know the thumbs up feature is included on pinside to say "I agree", but I felt the need to quote to emphasize how much I agree.

TSPP plays way too long and is waaay too confusing to approach. Of all games with deeper rules, only ACDC is worse than TSPP at explaining what to do/what is going on

#23 9 years ago

Taf by a landslide. Tspp is so annoying!

#24 9 years ago

Had TSPP. It was cool, great callouts, good color, the shots were just not satisfying for me. TAF is a grail/staple in my home. It will never leave, ever. TAF.

#25 9 years ago

man this thread is making my decision harder. I liked TSPP cause it was cheaper and needed way less work. Mainly was looking at thoughts on prices vs the amount of work that needed to be done on TAF. I know its a staple but the reasoning for me thinking TSPP was the better choice was price and the fact that it needs no work at all. Versus TAF has some serious issues and needs a bunch of money spent on a shop job. really I was looking to see which seemed like the best price for the condition and game.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#27 9 years ago

TSPP is a brilliant stackfest

Get a few TV modes going...

Along w/a few victory laps from previously completed TV modes.

Then be a fucking magician by stacking in a treehouse of terror mode & now finally start those super disciplined strategically sandbagged mini wizard modes like Daredevil mania MB, secret stash, I&S MB & Pretzel MB right when you start a couch multiball...

Bang out the super couch jackpot & the other JP's as you relish in all the 2x awards from the Otto's you collected to keep the timer going which brings us to the backwards flipper Multiball mode.

Did I mention all of these bajillion modes are running at the same time? If you did all that your machine would burst into flames & you'd shit a goose

That didn't even cover Alien Invasion or The true wizard mode

What does AF have? A broke ass hand and some weird blue & red plastic shit

TSPP is not a fast flow game. It's like a game of chess on mushrooms, to me at least.

#28 9 years ago

TAF: great theme, callouts and light show. Not particularly difficult, pretty shallow and shot variety is limited. The game is fun, but didn't last for me because on factory settings I was touring the mansion almost every game. Once you get the bear ramp to chair shot down, there's not much more, no wizard modes. TAF Jackpot is one of the best in pinball as is "it's Showtime."

TSPP: great callouts and theme integration (helps to be a fan of the show), very deep, more shots, tons of modes (reverse flippers is genius), very difficult to get through the game, and many won't have the patience or time to want to. Long ball times. Completing AI still eludes me.

Given what you get in TSPP, it's a better value. Had mine nib since 2003 and can't ever see selling it. My kids also love it, they loved TAF too and didn't want me to sell it.

Don't think you can go wrong with either.

#29 9 years ago

Something to take into account. Which ever one you choose, how long do you think it would take to find another example of the one you left behind ?

#30 9 years ago

Taf is the better machine but you have to consider cost. I like both machines but would probably get tspp in your situation. If taf needs a lot of work, it may turn into a headache unless you are really good at fixing pins. If you really want a taf, spend more on a better example. Otherwise, get tspp and enjoy it.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

TSPP is a brilliant stackfest
Get a few TV modes going...
Along w/a few victory laps from previously completed TV modes.
Then be a fucking magician by stacking in a treehouse of terror mode & now finally start those super disciplined strategically sandbagged mini wizard modes like Daredevil mania MB, secret stash, I&S MB & Pretzel MB right when you start a couch multiball...
Bang out the super couch jackpot & the other JP's as you relish in all the 2x awards from the Otto's you collected to keep the timer going which brings us to the backwards flipper Multiball mode.
Did I mention all of these bajillion modes are running at the same time? If you did all that your machine would burst into flames & you'd shit a goose
That didn't even cover Alien Invasion or The true wizard mode
What does AF have? A broke ass hand and some weird blue & red plastic shit
TSPP is not a fast flow game. It's like a game of chess on mushrooms, to me at least.

I couldn't have said it better myself my friend.

#32 9 years ago

TSPP

TAF is a great game, but in a home environment, there just isn't enough to it.

#33 9 years ago

As classic as TAF is, and I'd love to have one for a while, and is the one machine I remember playing back when, TSPP just has so much more to offer. I disagree that it is difficult to determine what to do. The game lights up blinking where to shoot, plus when you start a mode you are told what to shoot (flashing shots), and you are told through call outs what to shoot. While you can stack a ton and get a ton done, I've never found it difficult to know what to shoot on TSPP. It does a better job than many other games, if not most, at telling you what to shoot.

#34 9 years ago

TAF
showtiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime

#35 9 years ago

TSPP all the way. Never got into TAF.....and I've tried. Plus to me the theme is meh.....

PinballWizards description is spot on.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from napsterm20:

I was looking to see which seemed like the best price for the condition and game.

TSPP is better on all counts.

Better, price, better condition and better fun.

You really need to own one at home to discover all it offers.

#37 9 years ago

TAF was probably the machine I had for the least amount of time. Heck, I've had Breakshot longer!

The prevailing strategy in TAF is just tour the mansion, which means repeating two very repeatable shots, then playing the multiball. It's extremely repetitive in a home environment.

Game is full of charm, no doubt about that, but it's a shallow body of water to swim in. Unless you love the theme (I didn't), you may want to consider something else.

That being said, it's quite a popular machine. It's easy to get rid of if you don't like it.

#38 9 years ago

It's a toss up.

#39 9 years ago

Both are great in their own unique way. I think it really comes down to which theme you like and what kind of gameplay you like. I think TAF has more satisfying shots, TSPP has more going on. It is like MM vs TZ. I am a fan of less is more and open center games more than stuffed PFs personally, so I lean towards TAF on this one for replay value.

#40 9 years ago

TAF. TSPP isn't that good in my opinion. You'll definitely have more fun with the Addams Family, although I can't say the Simpsons are a bad bunch either.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

That's probably a fair statement. Chess is boring. Even on mushrooms.

#42 9 years ago

thanks for all the replies decided to go with TSPP. Love the description from pinballwizard

#43 9 years ago

Taf for 4200 will bring 6200 with a tiny bit of effort. TSPP is just not the smart move !

#44 9 years ago

They are both great games and you can't go wrong either way. I would buy the one that you can get your best buy on with the idea of picking up the other one when a good buy comes along for it, but thats in a perfect word.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

That's probably a fair statement. Chess is boring. Even on mushrooms.

We must get our "veggies" from different vendors lol

You guys know by now I'm a TSPP fanatic

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Taf for 4200 will bring 6200 with a tiny bit of effort. TSPP is just not the smart move !

Huh? TAF for $6200? maybe for a HEP restoration....otherwise....no

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Flake49:

Huh? TAF for $6200? maybe for a HEP restoration....otherwise....no

What planet are you from?

#48 9 years ago

Addams is one of those perfect integrations of design and theme. There's a reason it sold so many units. Great game.

TSPP was built in a time before cost-cutting gutted the BOM for Stern. This game has WAY, WAY, WAY more to do and IMO is much more engaging. Keith created the perfect code package for a design that is very similar to Addams. Great game.

Addams would probably be harder to replace and will likely outstretch Simps on price down the road.

IMO Simps is much more fun.

I had both and was forced to sell both. If I could get either one back today I would get Simps.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

What planet are you from?

think he meant "HEP-like" restored.

*cue the HEP fundamentalists*

"HEP-like restore" seems to cover everything from a quick once-over with novus to a complete rebuild.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

"HEP-like restore" seems to cover everything from a quick once-over with novus to a complete rebuild.

I don't care that he said HEP. The point is TAF sells for 6K easy ! Don't over think this TSPP boy .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.00
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 218.00
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-or-tspp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.