Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Shoot_Again
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

monty.gif

#1 4 years ago

Buying a new (to me) pin. cant decide.

Scared Stiff; no cab fade or dings, coin taker perfect, playfield no visible wear (has cliffys around spider hole so i can't actually see it) but owner says near perfect, mods; leds, dancing boogie men, led skulls, lighted topper ($5,700).

The Adams Family; cab had a chip in it, some scratches too. Playfield minor wear around chair, mansion/inserts look perfect, no magnet burn. $4500.

which would you buy and why?

#2 4 years ago

TAF as SS is really shallow and easy. Short legs in a home collection. Have not owned a TAF myself, but after playing one on location many times I've found there's never a shortage of things to do on it and it is much more entertaining in the long run.

#3 4 years ago

SS is fun and a nice looking pin, but you may get bored with it pretty quick. There's only a handful of shots you can make throughout the game and the rules are pretty shallow. But, this makes it a pretty good pin for a novice player.

TAF has deeper rules, more modes, and more shots. The long-term entertainment value is probably better on this one.

#4 4 years ago

I have a TAF for a few years now, and I got SS during... 2 months tops, and I don't miss it. Both are easy, but TAF is just pure fun, and there are lots of differents things to do on it. Sometimes I don't play it for a while, but I *always* enjoy it.

On the other hand on SS, except if you're reaching for Spider Multiball, beating the game is done even if while not paying attention, and there's nothing else really...

I'm an average player, so if you're super-extra skilled you may find it boring, but even one local A player like it very much, as well as KME according to Pinballreviews.com.

TLDR; SS is fun, TAF funnier and better overall (except the sound maybe).

#5 4 years ago

TAF all the way!

#6 4 years ago

I would get them both! Then you can figure out which one you like better
I like SS better but TAF is good time too.

#7 4 years ago

SS...mainly because of the condition stated..harder to find like that, and the price sounds right.

You can "always" find the TAF in any condition that you want.

#8 4 years ago

There's a very nice TAF you can play on route at Pooleys on the east side. Prices on both seem about right, a tad highish on ss. I don't like either game enough to justify owning at the prices they go for, so i wouldn't recommend either. Just sold a TAF for $4500. It was pretty nice.

#9 4 years ago

What if I added a Metallica premium monsters with some mods (not sure which ones) to the choices? huo for $5800.

#11 4 years ago

If you are planning to keep then TAF by a country mile. SS is too easy.

#12 4 years ago

I guess it's personal preference. I would nwver trade my SS for AF. Never gets boring to me

#13 4 years ago

Except Spider Mania. I've never gotten that yet.

Scared Stiff holds a soft spot in my heart in that it's the pin that launched me into this abyss of a hobby. Still have it and still haven't shopped it yet 14 years later...that reminds me...

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from madtown:

What if I added a Metallica premium monsters with some mods (not sure which ones) to the choices? huo for $5800.

it's way more fun. greater risk for depreciation, if that's a concern for you.

#15 4 years ago

TAF best ever.

SS looks great, great theme, but is very shallow. I'm amazed people keep it as long as they do. But if you like simplier games, it has the looks and sounds.

#16 4 years ago

I have both of them and prefer the Addams Family for all the reasons mentioned earlier by others.

#17 4 years ago

Have owned both. Sold SS. SS has a great theme, artwork and toys/ramps.
Still have TAF and I prefer it over SS.

#18 4 years ago

Adding another voice to the choir, but TAF before SS all day every day. SS is fun, but like others have said, there's just not that much to do. It's a fun table, but just so shallow. Note - I didn't even know about Spider Mania when I last played one about 8 years ago, so maybe trying to do that would add to the fun. Otherwise, it's pretty easy to get to the stiff-o-meter, sometimes multiple times in a game and I'm an average player at best. There's also an issue of scoring points by just hitting the same ramp over and over and over.

Play SS at a bar. Put TAF in your house.

#19 4 years ago

SS is the game I have owned the longest and it isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I am a big Elvira fan (so that is something), love the callouts, and think the game is super fun. I am not the greatest player, so completing the Stiff-O-Meter is a tough task for me. Definitely not the deepest rules, but I enjoy completing the 6 tales of terror and I am still not bored of the game after a little over 3 years.

TAF is great too. I just sold mine and it didn't last too long in my collection for several reasons.

For me SS all the way, but you can't go wrong with either.

#20 4 years ago

Had all of them. On my Third TAF because I keep upgrading. Had SS, sold it, haven't missed it. Had a Met Pro, upgraded for Premium.

SS is a fun game. The innuendo is great, but it doesn't feel like it has a lot of depth to it. It was always a favorite for people who came over to play.

TAF is just awesome. It's got a lot going on. It is good to walk up to and play casually.

Metallica is a great combination of everything. Art package is great. Music is killer.

Out of all, I still have TAF and Met. Tough call between both of them.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

TAF is great too. I just sold mine and it didn't last too long in my collection for several reasons.
For me SS all the way, but you can't go wrong with either.

can you clarify the reasons you sold TAF?

#22 4 years ago

TAF is a great pin.
Add a poll.
-mof

#23 4 years ago

TAF is you can only get one but bundle and get them both!

#24 4 years ago

They are both cool but for the money ss falls short.
Taf all the way.

#25 4 years ago

I own both. Both are fantastic. TaF wins by a nose.

#26 4 years ago

SS. I think it's just a little more fun than TAF, and I love TAF. You don't see SS as often!

#27 4 years ago

TAF, SS too easy to beat, it gets old quickly.. not saying it is a bad game, but find someone who has it, play theirs and buy TAF

#28 4 years ago

I own both and all I can say is I play SS twice as much.

#29 4 years ago

Had both...sold SS...missed it....bought another nicer one. Will keep both. If I had to choose one though I would probably go with TAF. I still get a kick every time I hit the left side ramp....not sure why, but it does. Can't go wrong with either, but for the money you are showing, TAF looks like the better deal (with no mansion wear).

#30 4 years ago

"Break on through to the other side" ....sorry just looking at Hogeys Avatar.TAF by a nudge.Elvira is sexy and easy.Just the way she would like it.TAF was/is a near perfect layout.Both are enjoyable for sure.

#31 4 years ago

SS all the way. TAF will be much easier to find for many years to come. Get the SS while you can.

#32 4 years ago

Where. Is. The. Poll.
-mof

#33 4 years ago

Win-win decision there. Can't go wrong with either.

#34 4 years ago

SS. Beautiful game, great sounds, and a little harder to come by. Then get a TZ instead of TAF. I have tried and tried to like it but just dont. I always planned on owning one. Even bought a set of cab decals, plastics set, and an IPB pf that I had cleared. Went and looked at a couple for sale but just couldn't do it. Finally sold the pf. Still have the other stuff because I am lazy lol. TZ is very similar to me, have had it for years. Much prefer the theme, sounds and play. On the plus side, whichever game you get you shouldnt have trouble selling them down the linemif you change your mind.

#35 4 years ago

I'm very fortunate to own a HUO TAF (I'm the 2nd owner). I've owned it for about 12 years now. I'm somewhat biased. However, I also had a MINTY SS. It was a beautiful game but just didn't have the legs to stay. My vote is for TAF.

#36 4 years ago

TAF would be what I would get.

#37 4 years ago

Well the decision has been made. Just bought a nice shadow off a fellow pinsider. Gonna pass on the ss and taf as the taf had a lot more wear than I originally thought (including some rust). Still mulling an offer on a Metallica premium.

#38 4 years ago

Nicely done on the Shadow. Shadow is the only game I sold that I wished I didn't. Metallica should you get it is an absolute blast all around. If you can find the right Addams don't hesitate it's a game I Have had a long time and still enjoy it every time I play it. Every shot is so well done. Enjoy Shadow!

#39 4 years ago

Congrats on your purchase and letting us know.

#40 4 years ago

monty.gif

#41 4 years ago

You have chosen wisely!
TAF is the most overated game in my mind. SS is fun, but like her multiple ones, the fun is short lived

#42 4 years ago

TAF for gameplay and layout. SS for humor and art.

I prefer TAF but both are fun games with a following.

That said TAF is a 2 trick pony. Bear ramp mansion scoop rinse repeat.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
7,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rochester, MN
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 1,099.00
Machine - For Sale
Spokane, WA
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
£ 29.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 35.95
Playfield - Other
MicksPinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, WI
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Bright Lights Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside