Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DRDAVE
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider terryb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 11 years ago

Hey Kyle,

While I can think of some obscure reasons why you'd get that result when swapping the wires, at this point I'd start with simpler solutions like something else changed while swapping the wires around.

Are you testing the optos with a business card?

Is the thing assembly in the game? The reason I ask is the last little bit of movement that blocks the up opto is done by gravity. If the thing assy is not in the right position the opto won't close properly.

Quoted from kse001:

Going into the switch levels test now, it continually cycles through all optos along with #24 (Always Closed).

Not sure what this means.

#13 11 years ago

Before we head down the complex path, just want to make sure you've replicated the result 2/3 times that when you switch the wires everything works.

I know it's a pain, but I've screwed myself before by not double or triple checking something like this. Especially when it gives such an odd result.

Next I would check the voltage at the optos and check all your voltages on the opto board.

If all that is good, I would say you've either got resistance in the wiring for switch 85 and/or a weak component in the 85 circuit. Check the resistance vs 84. It could be that two weak points are combining to make 85 not work and when you switch the wires you separate the two weak points and things work.

Based on what you've tried I would suspect the thing opto circuitry if it's a component. I don't remember what's on the board, but check resistors and anything else you can.

#14 11 years ago

Also, what does the switch levels continuously cycle mean?

#19 11 years ago

One other possibility: the metal tab that blocks the opto is not rotating fully into position. Typically the last little bit of movement needed to block off the opto is provided by gravity rather than the motor.

While it's out of the game hold it in different positions and you can see how the thing arm (and therefore the metal tab) will rotate around as it's held at different angles.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 180.00
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider terryb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-opto-strangeness?tu=terryb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.