(Topic ID: 89383)

TAF - odd swamp behaviour, kicks all 3 balls in play, not 'official' multiball.

By monkeyboypaul

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

So here's the weird issue i'm seeing with some degree of regularity:

Issue description:
2 balls are locked for multiball - via vault, thing or swamp, and they're both in the Swamp ready.
The game is doing it's "1-more-lock-for-multiball" music and associated light show, the power's flashing, everything is as normal...

You add another ball to the swamp, via the higher/side entrance.

The game warns about a swamp kickout but doesn't do it. Then hunts for the ball (there are now 3 balls in the swamp).

Eventually it fires one ball out, then another and then another - perhaps a second in between.

All 3 balls are now in play - the multiball music has stopped - because the games is no longer primed for Multiball. As soon as the 1st ball drains it tries to do the end of ball bonus but soon stops as the other 2 balls are registering hits and racking a score up. Normal-ish play continues.

I hope this is not normal behaviour!

Fault finding:
Running ROM L-5, the one before GOLD.
All swamp switches check out in test, no WPC error messages.
I've installed the swamp accelerator - just a piece of metal to speed the ball up in there. (http://www.leesparts.com/products/addams-swamp-accelerator.html)

Diagnosis?
Is my switch matrix up the spout?
Are there any tests i can do to whittle this down?
Even if 1 switch was faulty, why kick out all three balls? It must be detecting a successful kickout, actively feeding another ball from the swamp trough to the kickout, the repeating...

Help very much appreciated.

I may try to catch this happening on a short video.

#2 9 years ago

Here's a video of the problem -

see about 25seconds in, volume up to hear the music change when the problem occurs.

9 months later
#3 9 years ago

UPDATE:

Replaced switches 71 & 73 in the trough and realigned all 4 switches in the assembly.

Also, slightly cheating, moved the knock-off assembly 2mm closer to the hole, so its poke action (snigger) goes that little bit further.

I tried to trigger the problem again late last night (as per my videos) but couldn't, so i set the Mrs on the game as she's more into TAF than I, but still nothing.

Either the problem is fixed, or much reduced to the point that it hasn't happened again since.

All i get now is the odd ball stuck in the trough which forces it into a ball search, so we give it big shove and it comes good. I think a ball is sticking on a switch or the knock-off isn't powerful enough on it's 1st poke.

I'll be replacing all the Power driver board Caps & BR's later this week too. That may help.

More detailed info posted to the UK Pinball Info forum: http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/taf-odd-swamp-behaviour-kicks-all-3-balls-in-play-not-official-multiball.11714/

Cheers.

#4 9 years ago

I had the problem with the ball getting stuck in the swamp and the following took care of that problem: http://www.leesparts.com/products/addams-swamp-accelerator.html

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from PittPin:

I had the problem with the ball getting stuck in the swamp and the following took care of that problem: http://www.leesparts.com/products/addams-swamp-accelerator.html

I also have that mod installed, unfortunately the problem still persisted.

#6 9 years ago

it's gotta be a switch issue, either the balls not getting to the switch or the switch is not set up / working correctly

#7 9 years ago

I'd remove the swamp with the switches still attached and roll a ball through each of the areas where the switches reside. Listen VERY carefully for if/when you hear the switches being tripped. You even might want to hook them back up and run the switch edge test while the swamp is in your hand, if you think it'll help. The switches should only get tripped when the ball is directly over them. There is enough play in the mounting holes to give you a lot of room to fiddle with the switch's angle and install depth. It may also be necessary to adjust the switch arm itself, too.

It can be tricky to find the sweet spots, but it's possible.

#8 9 years ago

Update: middle swamp switch was a little too close to the metal, thus occasionally stopping the ball passing cleanly over the middle switch. Now moved slightly away by a work colleagues who good at this stuff!

Not done the Caps yet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.95
$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-odd-swamp-behaviour-kicks-all-3-balls-in-play-not-official-multiball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.