Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Sluggo7707
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-476.jpg
image-481.jpg
image-323.jpg
image-534.jpg
image-233.jpg
image.jpg
CC 097.jpg
IMG_3145.JPG
IMG_3143.JPG
IMG_3142.JPG
IMG_3144.JPG
image-982.jpg
image-915.jpg
image-698.jpg
image.jpg

#1 5 years ago

This TAF pf is for sale. Is it a real NOS B/W playfield or a repro?
Can you guys help me out?

Thanks

Sebastian

image.jpg image-698.jpg image-915.jpg image-982.jpg
#2 5 years ago

I vote NOS [original B/W]

#3 5 years ago

I would say NOS.

#4 5 years ago

CPR is making a repro, might work out better in the end to go that route.

#5 5 years ago

That's NOS. The reproductions made by Illinois Pinball would not say Churchill on the edge.

It's hard to tell if it's been dimpled or not, but it's missing better than 40 holes that need to be drilled for parts that extend all the way through the playfield. There are 15 alone just for the studs for the pop bumper mechs.

#6 5 years ago

Thanks for the help!

#7 5 years ago

It's amazing that someone has held on to it for all those years and when CPR announced a repro it magically turns up (by coincidence?) ...

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from jonninemonic:

It's amazing that someone has held on to it for all those years and when CPR announced a repro it magically turns up (by coincidence?) ...

This one should have been sold a long time ago, its going to be an even harder sale now since the thing needs to be drilled.

On a side note, the CPR TAF PF request closed down today.

#9 5 years ago

It is NOT NOS. It is an Illinois Pinball reproduction. I bought 3 when they had a sale down there years ago. I have one that I am putting in mine here shortly. They also say church hill on the side like NOS because I think Gene went to them and had them made at the time. It also does not have the bar code down by the left flipper. I had the person who cleared mine add the bar code so it was harder to tell when I am done. There are other thing on these playfields that you can tell like if it was dimpled, wrong inserts in places, an extra 1/4" hole near the center entrance ramp but the ramp covers it. Also the uncle fester chair hole was not beveled enough when they made some.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

On a side note, the CPR TAF PF request closed down today.

It did?

Still looks open to me.

I was able to order one and I got the confirmation email.

RussM

#11 5 years ago

I stand corrected.

I ordered at 6:00am this morning and I got in, now it's closed.

Looks like I squeaked by.

RM

#12 5 years ago

So to clarify, do all the original b/w PF's have barcodes? What about CPR PF's -- barcodes?

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Tvpinballs:

It is NOT NOS. It is an Illinois Pinball reproduction. I bought 3 when they had a sale down there years ago. I have one that I am putting in mine here shortly. They also say church hill on the side like NOS because I think Gene went to them and had them made at the time. It also does not have the bar code down by the left flipper. I had the person who cleared mine add the bar code so it was harder to tell when I am done. There are other thing on these playfields that you can tell like if it was dimpled, wrong inserts in places, an extra 1/4" hole near the center entrance ramp but the ramp covers it. Also the uncle fester chair hole was not beveled enough when they made some.

Agree.This looks like it is a IPB repro but that said I have seen and done NOS with the blank bar code. Those are usually TAFG or late runs though with the darker gray.

#14 5 years ago

I had posted these pics a few times before in other threads for reference. I had recently bought both 1 IPB 2nd run, and an NOS almost a year ago. Although the left is an NOS, it needed to be drilled in various places.

IMG_3142.JPG IMG_3143.JPG IMG_3144.JPG IMG_3145.JPG
#15 5 years ago

Curious about those playfield's Highspeed -- is it just an angle / lighting thing or are the IPB colors quite a bit darker? Especially the greens and blues.. perhaps the colors faded slightly on the NOS one over time or is it normal for colors to not quite be spot on sometimes for repo PF's? Just asking as I don't personally have any experience with repo OR NOS playfields although come hopefully March? I'm excited to have my 1st arriving (glad I jumped on the TAF bandwagon quickly!)

#16 5 years ago

I'll be honest, I have no experience either, and I don't want to discount the efforts, abilities, or fine work from CPR.
I will tell you that the NOS did not appear to be faded, and the NOS plastics I bought matched the greens spot on with the NOS playfield. There were lots of differences between both, like the cloud color and details, the grey's, green's, and some of the dark blues, even the way Uncle Fester's opening was beveled.

#17 5 years ago

Making 20,000+ of just about anything will always result in minor differences/changes along the way, ESPECIALLY when dealing with artwork color consistency, multiple manufacturers, and time from initial to final production. B/W essentially made TAF playfields for over two years(standard production, spares, then TAFG's). A lot can change in that time. Formulations of inks can change resulting in slight changes in the final colors. It might even be the case that one playfield manufacturer uses one brand of ink and the other uses a different brand. This kind of thing happens all the time, I've seen it firsthand at the printing company where I work.

Then, there are the running changes that B/W made themselves. I know at some point(I think when they decided to do the Gold editions) they changed quite a few of the colors on the playfield and made them "hotter", using their word. That alone will produce the differences that we see in these playfields.

Subsequently, if you're going to reproduce a playfield, you're going to have to have a wide sample pool of "known good" examples of factory originals, disregard any actual printing errors or things that got corrected along the way by B/W, and come up with a playfield art package that represents the vast majority of what actually got produced. It's the only way you can do the most good.

Here's a great article on a few of the playfield differences just from two of the companies that made TAF playfields:

http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/hsa147.html

#18 5 years ago

Wait, Highspeed -- didn't one of those playfields go onto your TAF restore? Which one did you end up using? You sell the other?

Miguel, thanks for the info.. that is an interesting link.. I had no idea there was so much variation in things like colors during playfield runs. Actually for that matter I didn't realize that B/W was having other companies produce their PF's.. I had just assumed this was done in house. I wonder if this is standard practice (or WAS standard practice)?

#19 5 years ago

I was on the "List" if you will, at IPB for all of 2012, and 2013. Calling and checking here and there with Kim, I kinda began to realize I should look elsewhere. I found the IPB repro one first in 2013 and figured I was all set, then the NOS came up on Ebay with a buy it now or best offer. I bought it too because it's really what I wanted. I had been buying all NOS stuff for the game all along. The NOS one is the one that was used for the restore this year, and had it clear coated from the start, the repro sold to a pretty cool guy in Australia this past March. My original playfield appears to be sold now too.

#20 5 years ago

Looks like the waiting list on CPR's page even got closed down. Hopefully Rick ordered enough for his site to cover overflow.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Actually for that matter I didn't realize that B/W was having other companies produce their PF's.. I had just assumed this was done in house. I wonder if this is standard practice (or WAS standard practice)?

I'm sure there are some "old timers" who can say for sure when it actually started, but as far as I know, B/W farmed out their all their playfield making to at least three different companies from the late '80's until they ceased pinball operations.

What's interesting is the company that's making the "new" playfields for MMR is one of the companies that made the majority of playfields for B/W at that time as well.

#22 5 years ago

My CC is stamped "Weber Playfields".

Found mention of it here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weber-playfields

CC 097.jpg

1 month later
#23 5 years ago

I believe the playfield I have is NOS. 1992 stamped on the side. Theres no other digital stamping on it. image-233.jpgimage.jpg

#24 5 years ago

Just looking at these play fields....phew...what an AWESOME game!!

#25 5 years ago

Sluggo, from the pic it looks as if that stamp says AUG 07 1998

#26 5 years ago

LoL my dang eyes... That makes a lot more sense!! Thank you

#27 5 years ago

I dunno, the bottom of the number on the far right is flat. I think with better lighting shining right on it, you'll be able to make it out better.

Besides, by the look of the chair scoop, I can just about guarantee it's not IPB.

Either way it's a garbage playfield and I'll happily dispose of it for you. In fact, I'll even pay you $100 to do it.

#28 5 years ago

Upon further review, it defiantly is August 7, 1992 & my live AF is stamped June 9, 1992. All jives with the release date of TAF. Time to turn her on and play some pinball!

image-534.jpg image-323.jpg image-481.jpg image-476.jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Milford, CT

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside