(Topic ID: 289067)

TAF lamp matrix problems that are driving this newbie crazy

By Timberhusk

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Timberhusk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

This pin is driving me crazy. Day after day I'm getting a little closer to playing a good clean game but now I'm stuck on lamp matrix issues. I hope someone can dumb down a solution for me. I went into test mode for the single lamps. Every "single" lamp I tested turns on 2 or 3 lamps in the same row but different columns. Example: column 1- row 1 "Thing Multiball" flashes but so does "Upper Left Jet" in column 2- row 1. So each lamp test will turn on another lamp to the left or right column or both, and always in the same row. Every single lamp turns something else on in the same row but different columns. Something this big isn't just a short somewhere, right??

#9 3 years ago

Thanks for all the leads. Pulled the connector off the mansion and still had the problem. I've looked for a short but haven't seen anything obvious. Checked the two lamp boards in the middle and they have correct connections. I thought I was onto something with the pop bumpers flat straps for the bulbs, I thought maybe another lamp socket was on it so i moved it over and still found the problem. I checked the diodes on the straps and they are all good. The machine had some LED's and I moved a few around and replaced some incorrect ones. So, yes it has some older and newer LED's. I'm not familiar with "ghosting", what is that and how could that be causing all this??

#11 3 years ago

There doesn't seem to be two lamp boards with the same or matching connection. I pulled the connections off all lamp boards and still have the same problem. This CPU and Power Driver board are new so while it's possible they could be faulty, it just not probable.

With the connections pulled from the lamp boards that would just leave the individual lamps, so i guess that narrows it down a little. I wish i could test something from the connections at the power driver board. Are there certain connections that I could test continuity or something??

#12 3 years ago

I have disconnected all light boards and still have problem. I have gone through and tested the remaining 19 lights with diodes plus the 5 pop bumpers diodes. Is my count correct?

#13 3 years ago

Back to the LED ghosting statement earlier. Can anyone explain what that is and how that could be creating this problem? Should I buy a bunch of old school bulbs and replace all the LED's? Is a mix of LED's and old style ok?

#19 3 years ago

After swapping new and old boards light problem seems to have cleared it's self with the old board. The Rottendog board still displays the lamp problem. I don't know who, how, why or what but the lamp issue is no longer an issue. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

#20 3 years ago

Update. Now i have a problem with the bookcase running non-stop and Thing hand not working. I'll work on it a bit and post a new message under a different title if needed.

2 months later
#22 2 years ago

Finally, all problems solved. Not sure how the problem with the bookcase and Thing were tied together but the machine certainly didn't follow the schematics in the book. Long story short, re routed some wiring, replaced a couple connectors and I'm back playing again! Thanks for everyone's help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 159.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Timberhusk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-lamp-matrix-problems-that-are-driving-this-newbie-crazy?tu=Timberhusk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.