• 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by GregCon
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TAF ribbon cable to reseat (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider buffaloatx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 7 years ago

First, K's arcade is great with usually fast shipping, I've bought several ribbon cables from them along with various original boards that a lot of other pin sites always seem to be out of stock on.

Second, the lines are usually caused by incorrectly seating one of the 4 contact cables from the MPU to the DMD controler, if you are off by a pin, or as sometimes happens a whole row, this occurs, I'm just saying that the cables may not be bad, you might have miss aligned one of the connectors on a board.

Third, your switch error, when you go into test hit enter once to see the error report, I think you have a hand opto failure (mine was the "THING up" opto had failed). If both up and down do not register the game will not let the subway lock up switches report as closed if the ball is locked by THING.
If you have a failed opto on the thing opto board, K's has/d them in stock awhile ago, or you can desolder them and replace them with a flipper opto board pair, if you have a a spare one laying around.

#22 7 years ago

Things Optos are the black U shaped optos and are soldered to the circuit board, if you are not handy with a desoldering gun you will probably destroy the board while trying to remove them. A new thing opto is about $40 pkus shipping, if K's dosent have them in stock marcospec.com might.

Good news about the scrambled video and sound though.

#27 7 years ago

To remove thing, you need a helper (dropping the playfield on the back of your head SUCKS) to hold the playfield while you unscrew the large metal box. Disconnect the molex connectors that go to thing and the opto board. Remove the hand assembly. Remove the metal collar with the tab that blocks the optos, remove the old board, replace with new board. Replace the opto collar, I usually put it back on the lower opto pair since the hand is usually down when you remove it.

Reverse process to reinstall.

Also, what Terry B said...

3 weeks later
#31 7 years ago

I believe that 72 to 74 volts at the flipper coils is about normal/average, mine reads about 72.5, my IJ reads 74.
As far as the fuses blowing, you could have a bad diode on the flipper coil which causes all kinds of problems (melted coils, blown drive transistors, and all around general nastiness) or a problem with your Fliptronics board, or you might have wired the hold and power wires backwards (I've done that a few times too many myself)

Quoted from GregCon:

I noticed the left upper flipper did go 'up' for a about a second and seemed to be staying up even when I let off the flipper button. Then, it went down which is when I assume the fuse blew.

Do you have the leaf style switches, or the "newer" type one opto switches? If you have the newer style switches sometimes the plastic/metal interrupter sticks on the optos and partially blocks it. Also make sure the little return spring is not worn out or detached.

#33 7 years ago

Very strange, glad it worked out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.95
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 1,059.00
$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider buffaloatx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-issues-including-weird-music?tu=buffaloatx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.