IMG_2919.JPG
IMG_2918.JPG
IMG_2921.JPG
IMG_2916.JPG
04_20131210_211941.jpg
02_20131210_211916.jpg
01_20131210_211856.jpg
03_20131210_211932.jpg
There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 10 years ago

Single greatest thing ever made. It made pinball for me, and today, in my almost 30 machine collection, I could return to just one and be just as happy. Without it, I would sell all the rest. I want to be buried in it.

F'ing love it to pieces.

#52 10 years ago

A very nice one came up in mn yesterday. I went to bed early because I'm sick. Missed his email with phone number at 8:30. The game is sold now. I can now crawl back into bed a sad man.

#53 10 years ago

I will have one up for sale possibly shortly. I bought one so I could put together my other TAF that will have a new cab, clearcoated playfield, etc... After I get all the ground braiding down in my new cab and brackets test fitted and possibly wire ran, I am going to sell off the extra one I have. This might fall right in the time you have enough saved up!! I am in Chicagoland, so not too bad of a drive either!!! The extra TAF I have is a players machine and just needs to be shopped....

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from brmorr:

I will have one up for sale possibly shortly. I bought one so I could put together my other TAF that will have a new cab, clearcoated playfield, etc... After I get all the ground braiding down in my new cab and brackets test fitted and possibly wire ran, I am going to sell off the extra one I have. This might fall right in the time you have enough saved up!! I am in Chicagoland, so not too bad of a drive either!!! The extra TAF I have is a players machine and just needs to be shopped....

Sounds great. Have picked up 2-3 games from Chicago. Keep me posted and I will kick up the saving a notch.

#55 10 years ago

I hope you find one.TAF was one of the first DMD's I had.It was nearly CQ too.I loved that pin.The wife could not stand the callouts for some reason.Good luck with the quest.It's a great one for sure.

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Single greatest thing ever made. It made pinball for me, and today, in my almost 30 machine collection, I could return to just one and be just as happy. Without it, I would sell all the rest. I want to be buried in it.
F'ing love it to pieces.

Freakin love this Quote!!!....TAF hooked me bad, as well......still my most "comfortable"'machine....only have 6 in my collection......so far

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I want to be buried in it.

Wow...there's an image for you.

#58 10 years ago

I had to drive across 3 states to pick mine up then had a local pinsider led and mod it out I love it! If you in the area stop by!

#59 10 years ago

love my addams family its a keeper one of the best ever made.keeps you coming back for sure took me 3 years to find the right one

#60 10 years ago

Ok, here's a question:

Production on this game must be *immense* so why the high prices?????

Is there that much of a demand versus what is available?

Doesn't add up, if production was low then I'd understand - and yeah, I know there are a great deal of these beat to sh*t since they were so popular and played to death but still................

Hmmm......

#61 10 years ago

cuz its awesome and nobody wants to give it up

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from Snowyetti:

Agreed. I just got a nice one, and I've been looking for a few years!

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from Snowyetti:

Correct, popular and not a lot of people selling it.

I know of a operator in the area with one and is at a dive bar. It was in great shape when it was at a Ci Ci Pizza. That will be my first attempt at the game once I get enough funds.

#64 10 years ago

It also made a lot of money for operators when new so it was routed longer than most machines. So it took more of a beating. It was my first DMD pin. I bought one in 93 or so and it was rough. Paid $2700 at the time. (should still be at my neighbors down the block from me)

#65 10 years ago

Who knows how many TAF still exist. They were played hard on location... made tons of money. I'd bet quite a few were worked over and parted out...

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Really the price on TAF is pretty low relative to it's huge popularity. If it was low production, prices would be more in line with MM, MB, CC, etc. It's just like TZ where the large production numbers keep them closer 1/2 the cost of some other top titles.

#67 10 years ago

Ok, here's a question:
Is there that much of a demand versus what is available?
Doesn't add up, if production was low then I'd understand - and yeah, I know there are a great deal of these beat to sh*t since they were so popular and played to death but still................
Hmmm......

Are you suggesting some kind of massive, multi-year price fixing conspiracy for TAF? This is one of a handful of A-list games that pretty much everyone played and loved in the 1990s, and therefore most collectors would love to own one now. Big supply, bigger demand seems like the most plausible explanation for the relatively high pricing on TAF and TZ.

#68 10 years ago

Nah, no conspiracy, just can't grasp the concept - they actually had a few runs of this game so there has got to be a bunch of them out there. You see this title pop up a lot more for sale than say, a Diner, which I rarely see offered.

#69 10 years ago

Nah, no conspiracy, just can't grasp the concept - they actually had a few runs of this game so there has got to be a bunch of them out there. You see this title pop up a lot more for sale than say, a Diner, which I rarely see offered.

I hear you, but which of those games would most people rather own? I know Diner has a solid rep and has its fans, but it probably generates 1/10th the interest that TAF or TZ does. If price were dependant only on production numbers and not on demand, then some of the rarer EMs would be worth far more than any of the top SS games, instead of going for a couple of hundred bucks.

#70 10 years ago

^^ ok, yes, I'm just in denial about the "demand" equation - dammit that's what's caused all these reality TV shows!!!!

I understand your EM comparison, although I really consider EM's and SS to be far different pinball "types."

-Nate

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

The journey starts and I am starting to save up. This 1 machine will end my collecting for awhile. If anytime someone wants to trade me a TAF for my collection let me know. I have a BOP and Flintstones. Later down the line I will have more cash to offer but just putting it out there. I think I am borderline obsessed with TAF. I listen to Youtube vids of the game while I try to goto sleep.

There are more TAFs out there than any other machine. The price should be stabilized and is probably even going down because of all the newer games and the PPS remakes. Be patient and you'll have a killer TAF for a decent price before you know it. Be patient.

#72 10 years ago

Reality and data show that TAF is as popular as ever and demand continues to outstrip supply. Keep in mind that there are actuallu not that many TAFs out there relative to how many were produced. Many have been lost to years of playing. Many are still on route earning. Many have found their way into permanent collections.

Still one of the best games ever made.

Figure 20k made and half of those left the US. A small portion of those exports returned in containers.
So lets say 10k initially on route in US in 92-94 era. Simple logic would say if you picked any game that got played to death TAF was it. Given this it likely had a greater number that died and was parted compared to any other game.

In 20 years of playing I would bet we lost 2-3k TAFs and the re-imports did not make up the difference.

That takes us down to 7500 in the US at top end. This gives a little more reality to why TAF sells for what it does. In conjunction, how many first time pinheads want a TAF as their first? How many non-pinheads actually own a TAF? Heck I know 3 people at work that all own TAFs and never play them but refuse to sell them.

Pretty limited supply available at any given time is seems.

#73 10 years ago

Mine will never EVER leave. I love it. That is the real problem. No one is willing to let them go. I have been offered stupid money for mine and turned all of them down.

#74 10 years ago

I finally picked up what I would consider a nice TAF. I've been searching for one for about three or four years now but supply is a lot lower around here. I'm happy now, and my wife loves it, so it's a win win

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Figure 20k made and half of those left the US. A small portion of those exports returned in containers.
So lets say 10k initially on route in US in 92-94 era. Simple logic would say if you picked any game that got played to death TAF was it. Given this it likely had a greater number that died and was parted compared to any other game.

Wasn't there more than ONE run of TAF? There was a "Gold Edition" etc. released after the initial run.......it wasn't like most "one and done" production run machines........or am I wrong on that?

#76 10 years ago

just over 20,000 total were produced and my understanding is that includes the gold edition which was run in late 94'?

1 week later
#77 10 years ago

Well, let a nice deal TAF slip through my fingers. Taxes need to hurry up and get here. I need some motivation to continue saving.

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

just over 20,000 total were produced and my understanding is that includes the gold edition which was run in late 94'?

Hmm, that's interesting. They list them separate on IPDB:

http://ipdb.org/search.pl?any=the+addams+family&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#20

http://ipdb.org/search.pl?any=the+addams+family&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#21

That doesn't necessarily mean that they didn't include that 1,000 in the regular TAF, though.

#79 10 years ago

Tully would probably know for sure?

#80 10 years ago

FYI: I heard it through the grapevine that I will be putting my TAF up for sale tonight... my source is usually very reliable.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shanetastics-the-addams-family-shopped

Official for sale thread with current pics and maybe even a gameplay video coming soon...

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Hmm, that's interesting. They list them separate on IPDB:
http://ipdb.org/search.pl?any=the+addams+family&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#20
http://ipdb.org/search.pl?any=the+addams+family&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#21
That doesn't necessarily mean that they didn't include that 1,000 in the regular TAF, though.

The original TAF, before the Gold edition, sold over 20,000 and broke the record held by the 70's pin, Eight Ball. The Gold run of 1,000 is separate, so the total run is over 21,000.

#82 10 years ago

Well I might be losing my current (small) arcade. My kids need separate places to do homework and that might mean losing the arcade area. Along the wall I could put about 6-7 pins but a desk might take up 3 spaces for pins. I am putting this out for reals. I will trade my BOP, Flintstones, and maybe MAYBE my Jukebox plus cash for an Addams Family. I will post pics tonight but I guess I will be a 1 machine guy for awhile. PM me if you want certain photos or video of machines.

Damn kids and their education.

#83 10 years ago

Here is the WTT thread. Makes me sick I will lose my BOP but as long as I am down to 2 pins I should be fine. I really don't want to sell my Jukebox becuase thats the only thing the kids actually play.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtt-bop-and-flintstones-maybe-more

1 month later
#84 10 years ago

Update. I will just continue to by $2k (or lower) pins until I have enough to sell 2-3 of them to fund an Addams. Looking for a Time Machine or a Bad Cats right meow. (see what I did there?)

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from dantebean:

Looking for a Time Machine or a Bad Cats right meow. (see what I did there?)

I really enjoy Bad Cats although the seafood/doghouse awards seem overly exploitable.

2 weeks later
#86 10 years ago

Well I keep offering my current collection with no bites. Will keep on saving but I think this will be out of reach for awhile.

1 week later
#87 10 years ago

Oh boy, here we go! Got a lead and have the funds and trades. I can't sleep now thinking about the possibility.

#88 10 years ago

good luck

been there...

ps. just received new TAF plastic ramp. mine had a little damage.

#89 10 years ago

Best of luck. Best machine ever made. Read the thread on the current ops out there. Unanimously agreed that TAF is still the machine the defies logic by still outperforming everything every made on route, this long after being out, despite the theme not being either current, nor really all that huge when it came out anyway.

This is why you don't see them come up. Home owners don't want to sell it because it's awesome, ops don't want to sell it because it's awesome. Over 21,000 made for a GOOD reason.

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Best of luck. Best machine ever made. Read the thread on the current ops out there. Unanimously agreed that TAF is still the machine the defies logic by still outperforming everything every made on route, this long after being out, despite the theme not being either current, nor really all that huge when it came out anyway.

It's the ghost of Raul Julia haunting every machine.

#91 10 years ago

Another ones slips through my fingers. $3900 not working and I still cannot get.

#92 10 years ago

Be patient. You'll find one.

What was wrong with this one that didn't work? Any idea.

#93 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Be patient. You'll find one.
What was wrong with this one that didn't work? Any idea.

Said "did work and now it doesn't". By the pics it looks like he transported (in the back of an open truck bed) with the head up and was picked up on 4/19 and was for sale same day. Playfield was very nice and complete. I'm guessing it's going to a flipper.

#94 10 years ago

Not trying to minimize your missed opportunity but a non working Taf for $3900 is nothing to be upset about.

#95 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Not trying to minimize your missed opportunity but a non working Taf for $3900 is nothing to be upset about.

Not upset just disappointed that my adulthood goal has slipped through my hands. I don't care about cars, motorcycles, boats even vacations. I really don't think of it as a pin grail but a life grail (pretty far fetched). I don't set many goals in my life but this is one. I think I can sit back, relax and enjoy the hobby more once I get "the one." All the game hunting will be tame after this one. May need to employ a therapist to hash this out lol.

Happy hunting gents

#96 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

With a nice PF, if that is correct, I disagree.

#97 10 years ago

Hang in there. It takes time as you know. Start asking around pin friends, local collectors, and even people you know not in the hobby. It's funny when people you start talking to about pinball at work or friends that you find out someone you never expected have a game you're looking for and never knew they even played. Maybe ask some others you've dealt with before to see if they know someone.

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

With a nice PF, if that is correct, I disagree.

Yeah, Dave really does not know real world since he has his own personal pin-pimp that finds his games, cleans them up, and sells them to him cheap.

Once he gets back out in the real world to work the mean streets his opinion may change.

Keep on the hunt Dantebean. After you kick the smokes for good, let me know and I will use all my efforts to try and find you a TAF for a decent price How is that for incentive to stop smoking?

#99 10 years ago

I admire dantebean here - Its way easier to pay up, way more difficult to stick to a pre-set limit.

#100 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Yeah, Dave really does not know real world since he has his own personal pin-pimp that finds his games, cleans them up, and sells them to him cheap.
Once he gets back out in the real world to work the mean streets his opinion may change.
Keep on the hunt Dantebean. After you kick the smokes for good, let me know and I will use all my efforts to try and find you a TAF for a decent price How is that for incentive to stop smoking?

Fell off the smoking wagon at MGC. On day 2 again of no smokes and planning on staying off. Me and the wife can already see the funds saved on this and I am breathing better at night. I think I will need to step back and do a full cash purchase on TAF. No one wants my BOP or Flintstones for a TAF w/ cash. I was thinking $1500 for BOP and $2500 (Bronto mod, new legs, and alt translite) for Flintstones but I dont think anyone sees it like that.

There are 141 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-in-2014/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.