• Latest reply 4 years ago by Priam
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8418 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

This subject may be taboo on this forum, so if I'm outta line here please let me know...respectfully, no faux pas is intended here.

I have a TAF, it's running TAFG LX-3 ROMs (that's the way it came when I purchased it...see picture). One of my TAF's previous owners also installed the "Pinball Bulbs Ultimate LED Kit", which replaced all incandescent bulbs with LEDs. These bulbs seem to ghost a bit, even though I *think* they're the non-ghosting type.

So I was considering applying the non-ghosting patch to my ROM and see if that helps. I don't expect any technical difficulties in doing this, although I'm new to pinball machines, I have programmed EPROMs for other projects.

But, my question is, under what condition are the HSTD values reset when you install a new ROM? For example, does the APPLE OS reset these values when it detects a new ROM version (i.e. from LX-3 to something else), or does it reset them when it sees a new ROM checksum? Or other condition?

I'd like to hang on to the high-scores in there, my son would be a bit aggrieved if I'd erased his scores, especially because he's the current Grand Champion on it.

Thanks!

IMG_8418 (resized).jpgIMG_8418 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

It does not erase it on a checksum mismatch (make sure you correct the checksum to avoid errors, though).

It forces a factory reset/ram clear whenever the version # changes though.... so even though the ghost patch directions indicate you should increment the value to something else, if you do, it will clear it.

If you label the rom pretty clearly as "lx3 GHOST PATCHED" I'd think it would be ok for subsequent owners of the game that might not be aware of the rom change otherwise. Or when you go to sell the machine in the future, do the full incremental upgrade and let the HSTD get reset.

#3 4 years ago

Thanks, very much appreciated, that's exactly what I needed to know!

#4 4 years ago

The patching "might" eliminate the ghosting but it won't change the sharp unnatural characteristics of the LED. Incandescent bulbs glow and fade. LED's are sharp on/off.
IMHO only way for any machine to have LED's and not look like garbage is by using Hergs GIOCD and LEDOCD boards.
I have them in 2 of my machines already. And I just bought a TAF the previous owner put LED's in and I hate it. It's also going to get the HERG tretment.

#5 4 years ago

As above.

TAF benefits from GI and LED OCD nicely, particularly during the Showtime buildup. A more expensive solution than flashing ROMs, but better.

#6 4 years ago

Yeah, I've seen those boards. As you say, a more expensive solution, but I get it. I get that the incandescent provides a smooth transition in the lighting and that's what these WPC systems were designed around. I'll just add OCD boards to my wish-list.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 1,059.00
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 180.00
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-hstd-reset-and-replacing-rom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.