New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 51485)

TAF - how to disassemble/reassemble bookcase to apply decals?

By RussMyers

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by RussMyers
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pedretti-gaming-0009-livello-2 (resized).jpg

#1 7 years ago

OK, I know this is asking a lot, but I just got in TAF bookcase decals from Treasure Cove (superior customer service !!!) and I need a guide to disassemble and then reassemble the bookcase to apply the decals.

I really do not want to eff this up, so please help me.

Thanks,

RussMyers

#2 7 years ago

A bit of work.

Unhook the connectors, remove the whole thing from the game. Underneath if you still have the thin sheet metal spaces between brackets and playfield - save them and remember where they go.

Then remove the pins from the connector, then undo all the screws and the bookcase comes off the table.

Put on decals, then reassemble the whole thing.

Me, I'd clean the surfaces where they go, cut to fit, stick them on. And save all the taking apart and reassembly and F'ing stuff up in the process work.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Then remove the pins from the connector, then undo all the screws and the bookcase comes off the table.

OK, dumbass question, why do I have to remove the pins from the connector?

Quoted from LTG:

Me, I'd clean the surfaces where they go, cut to fit, stick them on. And save all the taking apart and reassembly and F'ing stuff up in the process work.

I was afraid to do that - how to get the decals to sit properly around the metal mini-posts and such? Has anyone done it this way with good success and no disassembly? (other than pulling the whole bookcase out to do the job on a bench, obviously.

RussMyers

#4 7 years ago

i took my entire bookcase apart. Its almost impossible to get the sticker on and around the needle looking things on the bookcase without tearing the sticker. Besides mine probaly needed to be cleaned anyways.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

So you can pull the wires from below up through the bookcase to the top where the opto board is screwed on. The connector won't fit though the narrow slot.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

OK, I know this is asking a lot, but I just got in TAF bookcase decals from Treasure Cove (superior customer service !!!) and I need a guide to disassemble and then reassemble the bookcase to apply the decals.
I really do not want to eff this up, so please help me.
Thanks,
RussMyers

If you have a manual, there'll be a page showing how it is assembled. Even with that, simply take pictures before you take something apart. Lots and lots of pictures and it's a piece of cake. And yes, you will need to remove the wires that go to the top opto board from the connector on the bottom. Again, take notes where the wires go or take pictures.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Another way, you could unsolder the wires from the small circuit board in the top of the bookcase and pull them through to the bottom and the fish them back up and resolder.

Just get each wire back in the same spots.

#8 7 years ago

I just ordered the same decals. I didn't realize that it was such a chore! haha.

Guess when the time comes I'll just bust out some beer, crank up some Van Halen, and hope for the best.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Another way, you could unsolder the wires from the small circuit board in the top of the bookcase and pull them through to the bottom and the fish them back up and resolder.

I just did this about a week ago to replace my bookcase base. It wasn't obvious to me how to feed it through without unsoldering the wires from the small circuit board. While it's not hard to disassemble it, it is time consuming.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Ah, that actually is easier, I'd rather desolder/resolder.

Did that with the Opto boards when I rebuilt my DW Time Expander.

Just make a chart (and pics) with the pad order and wire color and it's easy.

RM

4 weeks later
#11 7 years ago

OK, thanks to everyone for help with this.

Got it 100% this morning.

It's a Royale Pain in The A** with Cheese, but it's sooooooo worth it.

Leveling the bookcase after re-install will take years off your life but it's nice now.

On to the next task...

RM

#12 7 years ago

And that is exactly why I cut mine in half, hole-punched the post openings a bit bigger, and stuck it on from the top without taking anything off. More power to everyone that is capable enough to take it apart and put it back together correctly, because I know that I am not that good yet.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

And that is exactly why I cut mine in half, hole-punched the post openings a bit bigger, and stuck it on from the top without taking anything off. More power to everyone that is capable enough to take it apart and put it back together correctly, because I know that I am not that good yet.

The way I look at it is:

I wasn't that good when I started it

I am that good now

I try to keep pushing the edge at which I am comfortable, but I ask a lot of questions to avoid mistakes that others have graciously made for me.

Of course, I get to invent my own, new mistakes

RussMyers

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

And that is exactly why I cut mine in half, hole-punched the post openings a bit bigger, and stuck it on from the top without taking anything off.

Good idea! Mine has been in a bag for 5+ years. No way was I going to go through all of the trouble of disassembling/reassembling just for the sticker. Scissors, alcohol, and a hole punch - my kind of work!

#15 7 years ago

Any instructions on how to level the bookcase?

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

The way I look at it is:
I wasn't that good when I started it
I am that good now
I try to keep pushing the edge at which I am comfortable, but I ask a lot of questions to avoid mistakes that others have graciously made for me.
Of course, I get to invent my own, new mistakes
RussMyers

"Our" TAF is actually my mom's machine and it is at her house. I had gotten her TAF and Flintstones decals for Mother's Day, and went over one day to put them on. Since I didn't have a lot of time, I went the easy route. I do enjoy working on mine and figuring things out, because it always feels good to be able to put something back together and make it work. (We also installed the Flintstone drop targets from the top without removing anything, with the help from a hemostat holding them into place. Took 3 minutes tops, looks perfect. The redneck genious was flowing that day, I tell 'ya. lol)

FrankJ: Go for it, and good luck! You actually can't even tell where it was cut and put back together, and honestly nobody was ever going to look at it that close to tell anyway since it's in the corner of her bedroom and not in a showroom for sale.

5 years later
#17 2 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I have my TAF coming in a few weeks and bought a bookcase decal. My thought was to just cut the shape out of the decal and insert it over the book case. Can't the posts be removed and then reinstalled trough the decal after installed?

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

HAHAHA I LAUGHED SO HARD READING THE FIRST SENTECE

Quoted from TimBoch:

I have my TAF coming in a few weeks and bought a bookcase decal. My thought was to just cut the shape out of the decal and insert it over the book case. Can't the posts be removed and then reinstalled trough the decal after installed?

The bookcase decal can be applied without disassembling the whole thing. That's the way I did mine.

#19 2 years ago

It's a wonderful pain in the ass. I'd recommend inspecting your bookcase/turntable for cracks & if it's not rock solid, just replace them. You can then apply the decals to the new clean plastic pieces.

I learned this the hard way

#20 2 years ago

ebay.com link » Addams Family Pinball Bookcase Decal Set Mod Book Case

This is a cool version. I like the spiral.

#21 2 years ago

Which decal does everyone like best? I am going to order one but I am not sure how I feel about the spiral.

#22 2 years ago

I like this one by Pedretti the most. It goes well with the playfield artwork and the movie.

pedretti-gaming-0009-livello-2 (resized).jpg

#23 2 years ago

One wish is that I had painted the blue bookcase plastics before I put the decals over them. Same for the red Thing box.

RussMyers

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside