(Topic ID: 247740)

TAF 'Greed' spelling rules

By richie8pie

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hi I'm hoping someone can help. Sorry if this has been answered before but I cannot find a definitive answer. I hope I haven't completely missed this in the manual...

I am trying to work out if my Addams Family is faulty regarding lighting the GREED letters.

I thought the letters ONLY light when the bookcase is hit (i understand there are 'optos' being the small circles right in front of the bookcase), but mine seem to light at random - unless I'm missing something.

From what i can tell, the optos are fine as every time I hit the bookcase a letter lights. But sometimes a letter will light at other times, such as when the ball is released from the plunger or when it's bouncing around the graveyard. I think a letter also lights when thing takes the ball, but ive not completely studied the sequence yet as maybe this is normal.

I guess if there are supposed to be other times when the letters light other than just the bookcase, is there a way to turn them off? I don't want to be as bold to say I'm not happy with one of the best pinball machines ever, but I'd prefer the bookcase to only open if I am specifically aiming for it

#2 4 years ago

I believe to help complete greed the first time only, hitting a switch at the beginning of each ball will spot you one letter. There may be settings for that, but mine is that way on factory.
Completing greed the next time, involves hitting the bookcase.
Hit cousin it !!

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from out_of_order:

I believe to help complete greed the first time only, hitting a switch at the beginning of each ball will spot you one letter. There may be settings for that, but mine is that way on factory.
Completing greed the next time, involves hitting the bookcase.
Hit cousin it !!

I don’t think this is correct. There is a setting about free thing lamps at the start of a game. I browsed the manual and didn’t see any feature setting about spotting greed letters. AFAIK the only way to get greed letter is hit the bookcase so OP may have a problem here. I wonder if any of the optos are just barely aligned such that machine vibrations break the line of sight. It could be any number of other things from bad opto to loose wire to board issues.

#4 4 years ago

From pinball.org:

The first step in getting to multiball is lighting locks. You light locks by spelling G-R-E-E-D (hitting the bookcase the appropriate number of times). On your first multiball, the first switch you trigger each ball spots a letter. You can also gain a "cheat" GREED letter by tilting. When G-R-E-E-D is spelled, the bookcase opens and the vault is revealed.

If the ball happens to go into the vault while the bookcase is closed, GREED will automatically be spelled, the bookcase will open instantly, and the first ball is locked. This is called a "dirty pool".

#5 4 years ago

Run the single lamp test and look for more than one lamp illuminating simultaneously (that should not be). This will exclude a locked on column drive or row return.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#6 4 years ago

I don't think anything is wrong with your game. You will get a letter spotted on each ball. Run a switch test and bang on the playfield to see if the optos are flaky.

#7 4 years ago

At ball start all GREED letters are unlit. You light one GREED letter after you plunge each ball. In addition, hitting the bookcase lights additional GREED letters.

If you are getting additional GREED letters you'll know when that happens because of the bookcase hit sound the game makes. Should only happen when the ball hits the bookcase. If it happens when the ball is in the swamp, for instance, you have flaky optos.

EDIT: Here is the sequence:

First Multiball of game
1. GREED letter after plunge of each ball
2. GREED letter for hitting bookcase
3. Lock 1st ball in the bookcase OR thing saucer
4. Lock 2nd ball in the swamp OR bookcase OR thing saucer
5. Lock 3rd ball in bookcase OR electric chair to start MB.

Second Multiball of game
1. GREED letter only when hitting bookcase
2. Lock 1st and 2nd ball in bookcase only.
3. Lock 3rd ball in bookcase OR electric chair to start MB.

Third and all subsequent Multiballs of the same game
1. GREED letter only when hitting bookcase.
2. Lock 1st, 2nd and 3rd balls in bookcase only to start MB.

#8 4 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input, and schudel5 you are spot on!

I have tested today and so far it seems fine. I was confused with the letter being lit on each plunge I guess, because as soon as the ball was hitting the graveyard that's when the letter would light up, so I thought the vibrations were causing it.

I don't mind a letter being lit on each ball really... but do you know if there is a way to turn it off as I cant see anything in the Adjustments menu? As I say I'd prefer just to open the bookcase by hitting it (like the second multiball), I find multiball sometimes gets in the way when I am specifically trying to work on touring the mansion.

So this sequence suggests that each ball will light a letter for the first multiball, so 3x balls means 'GRE' will be spelled automatically every game so only 2 bookcase hits are needed to open it, and I guess any extra ball earned will also light a letter too

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from richie8pie:

I don't mind a letter being lit on each ball really... but do you know if there is a way to turn it off as I cant see anything in the Adjustments menu?

I don't believe so. Just the THING letters on the backbox has an adjustment.

Quoted from richie8pie:

So this sequence suggests that each ball will light a letter for the first multiball, so 3x balls means 'GRE' will be spelled automatically every game so only 2 bookcase hits are needed to open it

Unfortunately that's the way it works. People that play a 5 ball game will inevitably get an MB lock qualified on ball 5 of every game.

Quoted from richie8pie:

I guess any extra ball earned will also light a letter too

I didn't test that. But it's possible that could also add another letter before the first multiball.

#10 4 years ago

Ok thanks again! It's good to know how the gameplay works so thanks for the clarity, I love this game so it's no big deal that it can't be adjusted

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball
Various other swag
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
16,500 (OBO)
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 40.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-greed-spelling-rules and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.