TAF. Greed function

By mikeyranson

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Just cured one fault and then another pops up. Dont know if this is coincidence or not so i'll explain.
When i had 3 balls in the swamp, they would not kick out. I found that the solder on the diode had broken, so re-soldered and back working.
Immediately solving that, during gameplay, i get the Greed function running and only the yellow light for the vault and the lock light for the swamp would light. The green light above the steel ramp does not light up no more, even though the other two still light up for lock. When the ball falls into the saucer for things hand, instead of thing collecting the ball to lock the ball for multiball, the ball gets kicked out back into play. The only way of locking the balls now are in the vault and swamp.
I have checked the wiring and none seem to be damaged or broken. can anyone point me in the right direction of possible causes.? is this beyond wiring and software related?

#2 8 years ago

Sounds like as if thing is set to disabled in adjustments 2.

#3 8 years ago

Also go into switch test mode and check each of the switches related to your issues (thing, swamp,etc) and look for a non-functioning switch or multiple switches showing when you press one.

The diode was the start of the problems, I would consider replacing it with a new one.
There she will cause great switch matrix problems, matey.

#4 8 years ago

Thanks both.
I checked in Adjustments and thing is enabled. I will try and get the correct diode tomorrow from somewhere. If is it the diode, how would this affect thing in game play? just asking as i'l looking to understand as much as i can to rectify faults

#5 8 years ago

Update on my problem. I have put the meter across the diode and with the readings i believe the diode is blown.
Playing the game, when GREED is activated, Things hand works as it should. the hand collecting the ball as well as the balls being locked in the swamp and the vault. When GREED gets activated for any following functions, the green light does not illuminate as well as THings hand not working either.
I am in the process of ordering new diodes so wont be able to repair until the end of the week.
Do you still think that this diode would cause Things hand not to function still.

#6 8 years ago

I have replaced the diode in question. This was the diode on the microswitch that covered ball three when three balls are locked in the swamp. I still get three balls stuck in swamp when playing in the GREED function. Two balls are already locked and when the third ball enters the swamp, this is where they stick To get them out, i have to tilt the game up, activating multiball. The balls then come out as they should. If i dont lift the machine up, the pinball is constantly looking for them but not able to kick them out.
I am also still stuck with things hand not working after the first multiball activation. After the first multiball is over, the play is normal until i activate the GREED function again. The green light does not light up and things hand does not collect the ball from the saucer. Ball is kicked out and still only in the swamp and vault can you lock the balls for multiball.
Still need some ideas of you guys.
thanks in advance

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from mikeyranson:

After the first multiball is over, the play is normal until i activate the GREED function again. The green light does not light up and things hand does not collect the ball from the saucer. Ball is kicked out and still only in the swamp and vault can you lock the balls for multiball.

This behaviour is normal as far as I know. Thing only locks balls in the first multiball. Your second and subsequent multiballs can only be started by locking balls in the vault and swamp (I think, possibly just the vault).

As for your swamp behaviour, sounds like either the balls aren't rolling around in there correctly or a switch is malfunctioning. Consider the leesparts swamp accelerator mod to solve ball handling issues.

#8 8 years ago

Thanks.
I have cured the microswitch. The wire just needed bending into the right shape. When i first bent the wire, it was too much as the ball was not heavy enough to depress the wire and the ball got stuck against the wire. I altered the angle again which is a pain in the arse to keep lifting the playfield up and down to get it right. This works fine now and doing what it should.
I still have this problem now with Things hand. It still wont capture the ball after the first activation. Only balls in the vault and swamp being locked for multiball.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from mikeyranson:

I still have this problem now with Things hand. It still wont capture the ball after the first activation. Only balls in the vault and swamp being locked for multiball.

This is normal, I believe.

#10 8 years ago

wellarmed, accidental and Coyote are correct. This is normal behavior for The Addams Family. It's 100% Pat Lawlor. The locks for the first multiball are "easy" (unless disabled by an adjustment). The locks for the second (and subsequent) multiballs are "harder". You can see this behavior on Whirlwind (more compass shots to light lock and activation of multiball requires a "release" ramp shot and not a saucer shot), The Addams Family (balls only lock when shot into the vault), Twilight Zone (the first multiball is released after only a single lock whereas subsequent balls must be locked in the "U-turn" and released from the "U-turn") and No Good Gofers (to raise the gofers requires more TNT - left ramp shot).

#11 8 years ago

If your Thing lock light does not come on after registering GREED for the second time, it's probably set up on factory settings.
I believe that you can get into the menu adjustments and set it up so that you can still use Thing to grab and lock balls for the 2nd GREED multiball if that is what you want.

1 week later
#12 8 years ago

Thanks all. i have been away for a few days so just catching up. I have not adjusted any settings so i will check these again. I did look at adjustments but didn't see anything that would coarse the current pattern. Will double check.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 180.00
$ 159.00
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-greed-function and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.