(Topic ID: 177018)

TAF - General Fixes

By dharv

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Very new the forum and a new pinball machine owner. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now reading as much as I can on TAF and general fixes.

I bought the machine locally in nearly perfect working order. Have had a couple of issues but think I have them sorted out.

Bookcase table was really wobbly. Bought a new one and had a local tech repair it for me as the pieces underneath looked complicated and expensive to replace if I broke something.

A couple of burned out bulbs. Replaced easy enough.

Thing Yellow bulb wouldn't light up. Checked with a multimeter and everything checked out okay. Discovered the diode, replaced that and it took right off.

First 'E' in GREED wouldn't light at all. Replaced bulb, light socket - nothing. Since replacing the diode worked on the Thing Yellow worked I decided to remove the 5 light board and replace that diode as well. Sure enough, took right off.

I feel pretty lucky finding this game as it has never been in an arcade or other venue. Always in the original owner's home so just general wear.

Thinking of replacing the bulbs with LED's but wonder about keeping the game 'original' as the only modification I can find is mylar on the playfield.

Thanks everyone for the great posts and info on fixes you've all done. Great help along the way.

#2 7 years ago

Sounds like you've done some good homework. Good on you, and so far so good with your fixes! Keep it up!

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from dharv:

Thinking of replacing the bulbs with LED's but wonder about keeping the game 'original' as the only modification I can find is mylar on the playfield.

Although there are some undeniable benefits of LEDs (they give off less heat which is healthier long term for the game, and they rarely, if ever, need to be replaced), it's really all personal preference and how the game looks to you personally.

With old arcade games, buyers seem to be concerned about things being "original". But with pinball, most people don't care. Although there is a minority that would prefer incandescents in their game, most people these days tend to see LEDs as a desirable upgrade that increases the value of the pin.

I think a lot of LED upgrades are being driven by the new games. Addams Family looks great with incandescents on its own...until you put a modern Stern next to it. Suddenly, those 90s Bally/Williams games look really dim and stale.

PS - Congrats on your game - TAF was my second! Sounds like you've got a great attitude about fixing/repairing. It feels hard when you run into problems for the first time, but you'll get more and more comfortable as you learn how to solve them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 159.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 1,159.00
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 1,059.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-general-fixes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.