Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by davewtf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I am thinking of selling my TAF to make room and money for another pin this Summer. But I have the opportunity to trade it for a TOM straight up.
My TAF has the topper light, Swamp light and accelerator, Fester, vault and train mods. Backboard, library, thing box and target decals, cliffys and pinbits protectors. The TOM has the Saw and marquee mods and brass legs, lockbar and trim. Both have the Pinballpro speaker kits. My pf has some wear around the inserts and wear at both scoops. His playfield is dull but I don't see any wear at the inserts and should shine right up. His cab is in a little better condition than mine but not perfect.

Neither one is a long term keeper so I don't want to shoot myself in the foot.
So, game play notwithstanding, from a pure monetary value stand point, should I do this trade?

#2 12 years ago

For me TAF has More to offer, TOM got Very Repetitive .. They are Both Worth about the same , I just sold a TOM for $ 3400.00 , was offered $ 3600.00 , but it went to the Banker for 34. I say that's gonna be Yr call Seal . Good luck !!!

#3 12 years ago

have yet to own taf, but have not owned tom that long, and I might agree with BR, it just doesn't have that wow factor for me either. Would rate my other J pops' cv and totan above the tom . It is a beautiful game with good flow, and maybe its just because I do have a good game selection, I'd probably look at the taf if I had a do-over.

#4 12 years ago

Value wise, they are probably close, although pinball for me without TAF, would make me sell all the rest and start collecting stamps...

#5 12 years ago

I LOVE the look of TOM, but there is just no way I'd trade my TAF for one. TOM just doesn't have the staying power that Addams does.

#6 12 years ago

I never really liked TAF, seemed ok but too cluttered. TOM I've been playing on my ipad the arcade pinball and LOVE it. Maybe I don't know the rules well for TAF?

#7 12 years ago

TAF rules are pretty simple, so I doubt that's it. The nice thing about TAF is the audio if you like the campy theme. The game sounds so excited about everything! To me everything else it does is just ok or done better in other games.

#8 12 years ago

They are very close in price, but I would keep taf. TOM is pretty but just like totan lacks in the rules department.

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Value wise, they are probably close, although pinball for me without TAF, would make me sell all the rest and start collecting stamps...

+1

#10 12 years ago

TOM=pretty TAF=pretty good.

#11 12 years ago

Oh god, keep taf. It's sooooo much better.

#12 12 years ago

ToM is a great game for guests. It's the game everyone wants to play at my place. It doesn't have a deep ruleset but it's easy to understand and rewarding to play. I'd say once your collection gets to a certain size, a ToM is a great addition.

#13 12 years ago

Well, like I said, neither is a keeper so don't really care about the staying power. I just want to know if I could sell the TOM for more than the TAF in about 6 months given it is in better condition.

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Well, like I said, neither is a keeper so don't really care about the staying power. I just want to know if I could sell the TOM for more than the TAF in about 6 months given it is in better condition.

Do the trade

#15 12 years ago

Yes do the trade and let me play it before you leave AK

#16 12 years ago

i'd do the trade and you can always re sell TOM for another pin.

i have a TAF in the office garage and i would do a trade like that anyday.

#17 12 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Oh god, keep taf. It's sooooo much better.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?

Weren't you looking to buy a TOM not too long ago?

To the OP... Yes, make the trade.

#18 12 years ago

He changed his mind. Oh well.

#19 12 years ago

I know I'm late to this party, but as someone who had both, I sold Theatre of Magic and still have Addams. Theatre is one of the best looking games, but go old quick for me. Addams is always fun, great lines a top 10 for a reason. As far as your questions of selling it since neither are a keeper for you, around here Addams seems to hold its value better.

Quoted from dung:

They are very close in price, but I would keep taf. TOM is pretty but just like totan lacks in the rules department.

This about sums it up for me too. Same can be said for CV, had that and sold it too.

#20 12 years ago

I play TOM on location some times, but would never own one. Speech and gameplay is boring to me. TAF audio is just the best, IMO. SHOWTIME!

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from jsandjs:

This about sums it up for me too. Same can be said for CV, had that and sold it too.

How does CV lack in the rules department compared to other B/W pins of the same era?

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

How does CV lack in the rules department compared to other B/W pins of the same era?

The original Roms made it almost unplayable. There is a reason why in 98 you could get one for $1800 new. I didn't mind start and stop but you could not cancel out animations and other in game events as I recall. The home ROM helped a lot but the rules were basically the same and for some reason added copycat. It boils down to bash the ringmaster to start all the ringmaster modes. It was quite easy to get the marvels, sideshow, training the animals and boom balloon didn't require much thought, balls basically bounced into them. The juggler and Acrobat involved some shots and the spin was the spinner in the center loop, pretty easy. I'm not a great player but I could join the Circus pretty regularly. Stacking multiballs was fun but wasn't necessary to complete the game but more for points. High wire multiball was blast I have to say. I had it for about a year and was a game I wanted to own, and glad I did, but when I had to make some room it was the easiest decision to make to sell. I just like my other games and some I don't have more. For me it just got very repetitive. Games like Twilight zone, Bram Stokers Dracula Addams Family and Shadow for example make you think your shots. Get the power going in Addams and it is about as Hectic as it gets. I doubt I'll ever get to Valinor in LOTR and have not got close to super hero in Spiderman. Indiana Jones has so much to do and the modes themselves are hard to complete, not to mention the tight ramp shots which I seem never to be able to hit. These kind of games keep me coming back to try to get to the next level. That's me, there are many people who really enjoy CV and all of John P's games. And many who dislike games Like Twilight Zone and Addams saying they are too repetitive. I tend not to worry where a game rates and take comments at face value. I play it and If I like it I like it. Ripley's is a great example. Rated very low on the top 100 but one of my favorites. I'm not a big fan of Medieval Madness but many are and that's why it is currently number 1. That's why this is a fun hobby, machines move around and find a home with the right people who enjoy them and that's what it is really all about.

#23 12 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?

Weren't you looking to buy a TOM not too long ago? []

I like taf better but somebody local already has one. nobody has a tom that i have access to. isn't that silly?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 180.00
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 159.00
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-for-tom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.