(Topic ID: 324399)

TAF - F115 blown. MPU to blame - but where.

By Igwiz

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Igwiz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221024_172915 (resized).jpg
20221023_173601 (resized).jpg
20221023_173615 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider igwiz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Hi all,

So I was a naughty boy and was fiddling with a non-working pop bumber on my TAF with the machine on and blew out F115. Disconnecting J114 the fuse stays ok so that led me to the MPU. I checked the 4 LM339 using a multimeter (red on ground, black on each leg) and each one was short on the vcc leg. That isn't good right?
I also checked the ULN2803a and this was also short on the vcc and also had a diode voltage drop reading of only 0.06 on leg 16 (I think). The fuse remains ok with the 2803 removed.

Is it possible that I took out all the chips even though the fuse holds with just the 2803 removed? Does all that make logical sense?

Would be grateful for any pointers. Really annoyed as it was working nicely!!!

Many thanks,
Ig

P.S. Also, when I buy a replacement for the ULN, I can't see that there is any difference between a 2803a and a 2803. Could someone kindly confirm if they are exactly interchangeable? Many thanks.

#3 1 year ago

Thanks Pete! Yep, I foolishly didn't recheck the LM339 chips after pulling the 2803. Looks like the are actually fine which is good news given they are soldered whereas the 2803 was socketed. Thanks also for the confirm on the 2803 spec. Hopefully a new one in the socket will get me back and running. Just as a precaution, is there anything I should check before turning back on that might still cause the 2803 to short again. I would rather not burn through my limited 3/4 amp fuses! I am not really sure what specific action of me fiddling with the bumper switch leaves was the offending one!

Many thanks!

#6 1 year ago

Thanks guys. So the good news is a new 2803 has worked and now the games boots etc. Super. But then the agony. I am guessing that the jolt to the board took out more than the 2803. The switch for the thing/skillshot hole has gone and the bookcase won't stop turning so game remains unplayable. So two questions if I may: 1/ does it makes sense these are a direct result of what also caused the 2803 to go? 2/ what switch/sensor is causing the bookcase to not stop moving? Test report mentioned Thing Opto and Opto limits but not the thing hole switch. I also know I have a switch out on a ramp and in the swamp lock and oddly those are not reporting as at fault.

Grateful as always...

Ig

#8 1 year ago

Ok, slochar, I will check the opto board but I imagine it will be ok as the bookcase opto switches are registering ok on the switch edges test. Will revert.

#9 1 year ago

Ok. So opto board looks fine. Led1 comes on and, as i say, bookcase greed optos working. Ran the Thing Test and Bookcase Test and this might be the issue (see photos). Surely one and only one box should be checked in each of those? I am guessing it is no coincidence that the Bookcase Open/Close and Thing Optos are on column 8 of the matrix...... What's my next step!?

Grateful as always....

20221023_173601 (resized).jpg20221023_173601 (resized).jpg20221023_173615 (resized).jpg20221023_173615 (resized).jpg
#11 1 year ago

Oh man! I should know better than to try and do anything on a Sunday evening! Have now screwed it up further. Was testing the opto board, saw smoke coming from somewhere (can be sure where) and so turned it off. Now the Led1 on the opto board is out and the bookcase greed optos have gone!

#14 1 year ago

Ok, 12vu repaired (had blown the F116!) Phew.

Here's a picture of the T1 display. Clearly shows the column 5 bookcase switches out (if I am reading it right). So now do I follow the circuit from that column and hope to find a blown transistor or similar or does something else I'm not thinking about cause this...? I haven't shorted the row/column pins yet to see if they trigger but will do that later if appropriate.

Grateful as always...

20221024_172915 (resized).jpg20221024_172915 (resized).jpg
#17 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

You still have two balls in the trough. Take them out. They only add a variable to the equation that's not necessary.

SW32 is "Upper Right Jet" and closed. This is a spoon switch. Check the switch leaves.
SW81 is "Bookcase Open" and SW82 is "Bookcase Closed". One of these should closed but neither of them are. The interrupter cannot be interrupting both slotted optos at the same time. There is something wrong here.
SW84 is "Thing Down Opto" and SW85 is "Thing Up Opto". Same deal here as with the bookcase slotted optos. The interrupter cannot be interrupting both slotted optos at the same time.

Yep, that all makes sense and agrees with what I posted in post #9. This is indeed odd. The Upper right jet is the one that a fiddled with that set this whole set of screw ups in motion! (Shoved a rag in the ball shoot being lazy!)

Quoted from DumbAss:

Here are some tests that you can do to help differentiate possible causes and locations.

Short (jump) J206-9 with any/all pins on J208 on the CPU board and see if the switches register.
In T.1 press SW86 "Grave 'A'" and see if it registers.
In T.1 press SW87 "Thing Eject Hole" and see if it registers.

If the "jump" test on the CPU board passes there the problem is in the connector or the playfield wiring. If it fails you will need to repair this problem yourself or send the board out for repair.
If SW86 and SW87 register then check the bookcase slotted opto board and the thing slotted opto board wiring. Check for the presence of power (+12VU) at the GRY-YEL wire and continuity with the switch matrix harness wires.
If SW86 and SW87 do not register check the switch matrix harness wires looking for a break.

If you are unsure post images of the switch wiring and the slotted opto boards.

OK, I already know the Grave A and the Thing Eject do NOT register - Is that a clue? Was surprised at the "A" when testing everything yesterday. How is that connected to the root issue?

I will try jump tests tomorrow evening. Thanks. Bringing it all back to the original cause that I blew out the 2803 on the MPU fiddling with the bumper, I would be surprised if it was a wire break issue. I hold hope with the +12vu being dodgy still. Will revert once I have tested.

Thanks as always. I really am very grateful for the time you guys spend helping us.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

These are reasons why you need to do the investigation rather than shotgun (not saying that you are doing this but I have seen many examples of people who use the shotgun method on this forum).

Totally agree and am doing this step by step following the great advice. Learning and understanding along the way which is even better! Will revert once I have had a chance to do the jump tests.

Many thanks.

#20 1 year ago

Okey doke. So I ran the jump test ( I assume the J206 and J208 shouldn't have connectors on them (because mine don't!) and are just run throughs for J207 and J209. That's what the schematic looks like)

What I get is hopefully a good clue to what is going on. I short the J206-9 to each pin on the J208. 1 and 9 do nothing. The others each "open" the boxes in column 5 on the switch test matrix. BUT also a couple cause other "boxes" to close. In particular, pin 2 causes the Jet bumper at 33 and 35 to fire. Does that mean I have someting going wrong in the wiring near the bumpers?

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Jump test should be without any connectors. That way anything on the playfield can't interfere.

Sure, I appreciate that. What I meant was that the connectors pins have no connector "plugs" associated with them on this particular board.

#23 1 year ago

OMG guys, I may have been wasting your time since post #6. I just took the approach to re-check what I did to fix the original probelm before the new issues then started. So I checked the seating of the new 2803 and found I had bent a leg on insertion. So stupid!!!! Sorted that out and now the bookcase and thing eject hole are working again. Still got an issue on the Thing Opto and a couple of other switches but that is for another day.

Thanks and apologies in equal measure!

#25 1 year ago

Very much so Pete!

Infuriatingly, although everything is back to how it should be and playing/registering properly, the thing eject hole solenoid is now failing to push the ball out of the hole. It fires but the ball doesn't get over the lip. Never used to be a problem at all. Was there perhaps a little "seat" the ball sat in to give it a little height over the edge that may have dislodged? I can't see anything that has fallen under the playfield. Would be a very strange coincidence if suddenly the solenoid wan't nw receiving enough power. All the others seem to be punching their weight when I run the solenoid tests.... Grrr.

#27 1 year ago

Checked the voltages - fine. Took the solenoid off the playfield - looked fine. Fired it while off the playfield - looked like it was fully extended so fine. Put it back -same behaviour. Then I thought, hmm, I've moved the table a bit to get to the back so maybe it's off level - put a beermat under the back leg and that was enough to help the ball on its merry way! Oh the joys! Now playable again. Yay. I will level the whole machine properly when I have finished the last few switch repairs I need to do!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 180.00
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider igwiz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-f115-blown-mpu-to-blame?tu=igwiz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.