(Topic ID: 200953)

TAF every opto out, reseated flat-cables, still out.

By RestonVA

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by RestonVA
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3420 (resized).JPG
IMG_3333 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

When I started my The Addams Family pinball, there was a book case error and the book case was open. I switched of the machine and reseated all the flat-cables turned it on and everything seemed fine till I found that the opto's of the book case did not register. Now it give a switch error for all opto's in the book case and the for the thing opto. I did reseat the flat-cables again but I still have this issue.

What is the next step I should take?

IMG_3333 (resized).JPGIMG_3333 (resized).JPG

IMG_3420 (resized).JPGIMG_3420 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

I'd check the 12 volt test point on the power driver board.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

All optos run on dunkin...er i mean 12V. That would be the first thing I'd check.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd check the 12 volt test point on the power driver board.
LTG : )

Thanks for the quick reply, on the power driver board I found two 12 volt test points and none for ground, so I touched a blank spot where the board is screwed down instead.
TP1 (12VU) is 15.13V
TP3 (12VR) is 12.02V

Is that okay?

#5 6 years ago

Do any of your other opto's still work, or are they all dead? If it's just the bookcase and thing optos you may have a broken connection under the playfield. Your 12 volt numbers look fine (although usually the UR voltage is around 18VDC)

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from buffaloatx:

Do any of your other opto's still work, or are they all dead? If it's just the bookcase and thing optos you may have a broken connection under the playfield. Your 12 volt numbers look fine (although usually the UR voltage is around 18VDC)

All the four bookcase (53,54,55,56) and the Thing Up Opto (85) give an error at start up, during edge test I tested the book case opto's and they don't respond and the bumper lane opto also does not respond.

Now I found something else (maybe related?) in the lamp test, I see that the *THING* lamps light up when other lamps light up. For example when Lamp 72 (Right Special) lights up also Lamp 82 (Thing T) lights up, but there is no light when Lamp 82 (Thing T) should light up.

#7 6 years ago

That is strange. It is possible that you have one of your ribbon cables off a pin or two, or one of them is dying. double check all of them to make sure that none of them are off a pin or a row (it happens all the time) You can also order a new set from ksarcade.net or Great Plains electronics.
It is also possible that the lower 12V UR is causing some of this, but I'm only guessing there. Someone with more electrical experience than me may be able to chime in on that.

Have you done any other repairs recently, or added any mods?

#8 6 years ago

Solved, thanks!

I did the book-case motor test and right after that the opto's started to work again. Maybe there was a cable loose but whatever I do, playing a few games, moving the cables under the playfield, it keeps working.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-every-opto-out-reseated-flat-cables-still-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.