(Topic ID: 8860)

TAF: Display not displaying certain things it should be.

By TomGWI

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by TomGWI
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

Well, I won't call it a display problem but some of the images on my TAF are not showing up at all.
Game is fine mechanically (now). The display has no dots missing but is not displaying images at certain times. Whenever I hit the electric chair and you hear the music that you got a correct hit the display is black and then comes back on for the mode (so the mansion never shows while the music is playing). Also when you hit the blue table, Greed is not spelled out and is completely dark but when you spell greed it is fine. The graveyard doesn't always display either.
I reseated the ribbon cables and the cpu chip but still the same.
I installed Gold roms a few months ago and where fine until tonight.

Not sure what to do at this point. I'm thinking it's a CPU problem but not entirely sure. I have a new DMD controller board and power board from Rottendog since I have had the game (at least a year and a half).

Where to start? This is F***ed Up.

#2 12 years ago

Go into diagnostics and run the display test.

Let it finish. Let us know if it reports any issues (questioning display RAM)

#3 12 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Go into diagnostics and run the display test.
Let it finish. Let us know if it reports any issues (questioning display RAM)

Thanks for replying John. It states that the RAM test is OK.

Tom.

#4 12 years ago

I had a similar problem with one of my games. Turned out to be a bad rom chip.

#5 12 years ago

Hey John,

I ordered a new chip from you to see if it's the cpu rom chip (just in case).

Quoted from jsandjs:

I had a similar problem with one of my games. Turned out to be a bad rom chip.

Thanks.

#6 12 years ago

I get my roms from John too.

#7 12 years ago

Doesn't sound like a ROM problem to me, unfortunately I'm not sure where to start. Reseat the ribbon cables perhaps? If they fix the problem, I'd order a new set from GPE.

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Doesn't sound like a ROM problem to me, unfortunately I'm not sure where to start. Reseat the ribbon cables perhaps? If they fix the problem, I'd order a new set from GPE.

Reseated the cables a few times. No luck. I noticed one of the cpu legs was slightly bent when I took it out. Bent it back but no luck either. I ordered new cpu chip (from you John of course ) and some new ribbon cables. Will see if this does the trick.

#9 12 years ago

Only thing I can think of is a bad ROM (I assume some animations DO display correctly?)

Also, that's not a blue table, that's a book case - see, there's a secret passage behind the book case to the vault, per standard cliche.

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from DrAzzy:

Only thing I can think of is a bad ROM (I assume some animations DO display correctly?)
Also, that's not a blue table, that's a book case - see, there's a secret passage behind the book case to the vault, per standard cliche.

Lol I couldn't think if the name.

Yep it is weird. It shows some and not others. Sound is normal.
The special Gold awards don't show up either. I should do a video of it.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

The special Gold awards don't show up either. I should do a video of it.

Plenty of people don't like them and either turn them off or simply run the game with the non-Gold ROMs (the gold awards are felt to throw off the scoring by adding pointless randomness, making them unsuitable for tourny play, and annoying the purists)

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from DrAzzy:

Plenty of people don't like them and either turn them off or simply run the game with the non-Gold ROMs (the gold awards are felt to throw off the scoring by adding pointless randomness, making them unsuitable for tourny play, and annoying the purists)

Yeah, I really don't care what people like. I like what the gold roms. The game has a lot more speech to it which I like and is better suited IMHO for the home environment. I only play in a few tournaments ayear and do very well on TAF. Just saying.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Hey, just wanted to report back as I got TAF up and running.

The problem was ribbon cable that goes between the DMD Controller-Sound Board-FL-CPU. I replaced it with a new cable and everything worked as it should. I seated the old one a few times with no luck. Just thought I report back if some ever has a similar issue.

Damn ribbon cables

Now to update TF.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 159.00
20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 180.00
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-display-not-displaying-certain-things-it-should-be and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.