Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by xTheBlackKnightx
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

damaged TZ 3 (resized).JPG
damaged TZ 1 (resized).JPG
Karbachtoberfest.jpg
calltheambulance (resized).jpg
image (resized).png

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

For those of you debating whether to ship a pinball machine via STI with legs on or on a pallet, here is what happened to me today. Bent leg. Never shipping with legs on anymore.

Good thing the legs are replaceable.....I'm just happy this set of legs was not powder coated! That would really suck. It doesn't mean it will happen to you but this might make your decision a little easier.

image (resized).png

#2 3 years ago

Damn, that sucks! Wonder how it happened? Are they going to compensate you for the damage?

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Damn, that sucks! Wonder how it happened? Are they going to compensate you for the damage?

They should. This just happened. We'll see

#4 3 years ago

I'm curious how they move a pin on legs. I would imagine it's with two guys lifting or a fork lift.

#5 3 years ago

For every bent leg story, there's a horror story of a forklift destroying a cabinet (which won't happen with legs on).

I've shipped dozens of games both ways, and the only damage I've ever had was a bent leg. That's a $20 part so I went on with my life (didn't even bother making a claim). It hasn't scared me away from shipping that way if someone prefers it. I've also had games shipped to me both ways with no issues.

There's really no way to ensure you won't get any damage, you just hope for the best and properly insure your game. I wouldn't make my choice of how to ship, or whether or not to use STI, based upon the above picture.

End of the day, you shipped a $6,500 game and suffered damage to an easily replaceable $20 part. Would you really want to ship it again the other way and hope for better results?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I'm curious how they move a pin on legs. I would imagine it's with two guys lifting or a fork lift.

From what I've seen - two guys lifting (only seen them pickup and deliver - no idea how they move a machine at a transit station where they might move a machine from one truck to another).

#7 3 years ago

Dragging machines ,Dragging machines, not lifting them. Your lucky it did not rip out the cabinet corner and inner bolt plate like my 2.

#8 3 years ago

It's actually a bit lucky it bent inward. If it was forced the opposite way, the cabinet would have most likely separated. Much worse in the end.

#9 3 years ago

If the machine has nice legs (chrome, powder coat, etc) I use an old pair of legs for shipping for that reason. Plus they are usually exposed and can get scratched up. If they are stock legs I'm usually not too worried since they are easily replaceable and not expensive. I bet if you file a claim they will reimburse you for the cost of getting a new leg.

#10 3 years ago

Yeah, again I'm not trying to convince you guys not to use STI or to palletize or not. This is just something I wanted to share with you. No more shipping with legs on for me...

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from rad:

From what I've seen - two guys lifting (only seen them pickup and deliver - no idea how they move a machine at a transit station where they might move a machine from one truck to another).

Both, 2 guys or forklift. Or one guy dragging the machine.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Yeah, again I'm not trying to convince you guys not to use STI or to pallerize or not. This is just something I wanted to share with you. No more shipping with legs on for me...

Do not think they will not damage your machine if on a pallet either. They forked a guys mint Champions Pub down here.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

Do not think they will not damage your machine if on a pallet either. They forked a guys mint Champions Pub down here.

Damn!

#14 3 years ago

I think you need a box like Vic Camp had. In one of his videos he said he would buy games on Ebay and ship a plywood box to the seller to put the game in.

#15 3 years ago

I've learned there is no safe way unless you pick it up yourself. I understand sometimes distance can make this impractical but that is really the only way. I've used STI/NAVL many of times with no issues and the one time I trusted as fellow collector offering transportation the cabinet got damaged. It was HUO and I figured it would be safer in the hands of a collector instead of a shipping service

#16 3 years ago

I just sold a really nice Totan to a fellow pinsider a couple weeks ago and wrote DO NOT DRAG in big letters on wide blue painters tape to the front and back of pin, it may help to remind dock workers. Luckily it made it to Kansas without any damage.

#17 3 years ago

All the shipping damage thread have put the fear into me. After alot of debate doing the 10 hour drive to benton Wisconsin to pick my RZ up in person.

#18 3 years ago

Ive seen them ram a fork thru them on legs too. they had picked up the machine side ways and had the forks to high.. Freight damage happens. Part of the gig.

But they clearly dragged this one out.. maybe end with the good old forklift chain. Hope there is no other damage.

JJ

#19 3 years ago

Should change the subject to TAF leg damaged by STI.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

All the shipping damage thread have put the fear into me. After alot of debate doing the 10 hour drive to benton Wisconsin to pick my RZ up in person.

Good call

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from pinaholic:

Should change the subject to TAF leg damaged by STI.

How do I do that?

#22 3 years ago

Waiting to here if any damage to inner corner of this TAF.

#23 3 years ago

I'm curious if anyone has ever bent a leg pushing or dragging their pin on carpet sliders? I know I've pushed mine on sliders across carpet and still had to put a little mustard behind it. I'm not sure what the tolerance is on these legs.

#24 3 years ago

If the legs are maybe compromised from years on location its possible they can buckle when the game is slid on carpet or concrete.

#25 3 years ago

Does anyone have contact info for STI? I need a pin shipped!

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from HoneyBadger:

Does anyone have contact info for STI? I need a pin shipped!

Michelle Bianchi
Beltmann Group agent for STI/CRST
Toll Free 877-432-2646
Toll Free 800-959-8880
Cell 630-344-3093
Direct -630-352-3312
Fax 866-651-5919
michelle.bianchi@beltmann.com
judy.metallo@beltmann.com

#27 3 years ago

To even take the time to post over a bent leg. An entire new set is $60. It's not even worth the effort to claim it let alone post about it.

Quoted from KornFreak28:

For those of you debating whether to ship a pinball machine via STI with legs on or on a pallet, here is what happened to me today. Bent leg. Never shipping with legs on anymore.
Good thing the legs are replaceable.....I'm just happy this set of legs was not powder coated! That would really suck. It doesn't mean it will happen to you but this might make your decision a little easier.

#28 3 years ago

Thanks johnwarjr...I tried contacting her last month but she never returned my vm

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

To even take the time to post over a bent leg. An entire new set is $60. It's not even worth the effort to claim it let alone post about it.

This is a forum about pinball. It seemed relevant to post about it to me.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

s

If damage is only a leg no need to make a claim. Why not post about a company damageing a machine?

#31 3 years ago

It is really easy to say "Why even post this?" when it's not your game.

He is doing us a courtesy letting us all know "Hey....it can happen....just be prepared to accept the risks."

Some people (ie: new pin owners) don't even think about that. They assume all will be well when you're paying a company $400-$600 to ship a game. I think, if anything, it is good he is posting this to help make new buyers aware of these risks.

Someone may see this and think "Dang, if the leg bent the other direction the cabinet could be destroyed.....how far is it to get my game? 3 hours each way? Yeah, that's worth the drive to be safe."

Half glass full, guys.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Says the person taking time to post about how another post is a waste. Lol

#33 3 years ago

I had the same thing happen to my TZ a few years ago with STI. It is not the end of the world. STI paid for a new set of legs. I would rather have that happen then have to drive across the country to get my pin. Not a big deal really. Only happened once to me.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Quoted from jalpert:

Why the negative comments? Its my choice to post what I feel I want to communicate to other pinsiders. If you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all. Don't be a hater

#35 3 years ago

I mean, really?? Why is this a bad post? Just informing the community what happened to me.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

He is doing us a courtesy letting us all know "Hey....it can happen....just be prepared to accept the risks."
Some people (ie: new pin owners) don't even think about that. They assume all will be well when you're paying a company $400-$600 to ship a game. I think, if anything, it is good he is posting this to help make new buyers aware of these risks.
Someone may see this and think "Dang, if the leg bent the other direction the cabinet could be destroyed.....how far is it to get my game? 3 hours each way? Yeah, that's worth the drive to be safe."
Half glass full, guys.

Very well said! Thanks!

#37 3 years ago

I was just trying to inform people what happend to me. Yes its not the end of the world, yes its only one leg, yes its no big deal....

My intentions were to help someone make a decision in the future=Ship with legs ON or pallated or drive to pick it up! Why all the hate?

Now tell me, would you feel the same way if the legs would have been powder coated??? Exactly. Thanks

#38 3 years ago

This game was shipped to me by Kornfreak and was delivered today. The damage happened while the truck was here. The game was strapped to the side of the truck, like they always are. They also had six bumper cars in the truck. It was one of the cars that got loose and hit and bent the leg. No cab damage. Just a bent $10 leg.

I've had hundreds of games shipped in and out of my home by STI/NAVL and this is the FIRST time I've ever had an issue. Many games shipped here come on legs because it's too difficult for most to pack them on a pallet. Besides, it's getting restored so I don't care if they ding it or not. They always leave here packed well on a pallet.

Ship it any way you want, damage can happen, sooner or later but like I said, this is a first for me out of hundreds of shipments.

#39 3 years ago

Does anyone here think something can't get damaged in shipping? That nobody has ever had something broken by a shipper or a mover so the thought hasn't crossed their mind?

Quoted from NPO:

When I see people take the time to post about this kind of junk, I can't help but wonder where all the posts are about successful non "damaged" shipments. If it's worth taking the time to post about a $20 leg, surely it's worth posting about when your $5K game arrives in perfect condition?

Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Says the person taking time to post about how another post is a waste. Lol

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I mean, really?? Why is this a bad post? Just informing the community what happened to me.

People should know this s..t happens, a lot. They ripped my left front leg clear out of my Whitewater, the front of cabinet pulled all the way off on that side. Mine was most likely dragged backwards until it fell into a crack and they just kept pulling. So to say i was pissed was an understatement.

#41 3 years ago

Just got in a load of games two days ago from STI.
All of them were perfect and the delivery guys were fantastic with their help.
Only one pinball in the group but it did not have the legs on the game.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Half glass full, guys.

Do we really have to go that far to try and "protect" people now? I think it's insulting to think that new buyers can't think of that for themselves. Price police, anti-Stern police, now anti-shipping police.

Shit happens. Pinball legs bend...and MUCH easier than you might think. I've thrown away 10+ bent legs this year alone. You'll notice that once they start to bend, you can pretty much continue to bend them by hand. And it is much harder to rip a cabinet corner/bracket out...only way I've seen that happen is if a leg/leveler gets stuck in a hole of some sort and the rest of the machine is being moved very forcefully; otherwise the machine is going to win that battle and stop you (the mover).

As others have said, games can and will be damaged in some way no matter how you do it. It's just a pinball machine. And if it's just a leg, buy a new one (or whole set for $50) and move on.

calltheambulance (resized).jpg

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Does anyone here think something can't get damaged in shipping? That nobody has ever had something broken by a shipper or a mover so the thought hasn't crossed their mind?

Stranger things have happened..... like the guy in Croatia that thought it was a good idea to disassemble a hand grenade by use of a chainsaw.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Do we really have to go that far to try and "protect" people now? I think it's insulting to think that new buyers can't think of that for themselves.

And there are pinball owners that don't know how to remove the glass or change a playfield bulb. How's that for insulting?

I'm not protecting him; he is a grown ass man who can take care of himself. I'm merely suggesting "See past what you think is the 'end all, be all' of possibilities".

#45 3 years ago

I appreciate the thread OP. Don't worry about the negative Nancys. I'm sure a lot of newbs to the site appreciate it as well. I didn't get the impression you were steering us away from shipping but merely letting us know this can happen. Thanks.

#46 3 years ago

I would be upset too but you know what I would do

I would just replace the leg and save the bent one and tell people you did it when someone pissed you off and that's the first thing you grabbed LOL

Glad the game survived and for keeping us updated on your experience

Love TAF
"Click click"

#47 3 years ago

If anyone thinks that shipping with legs on means white glove service you are greatly misinformed. On a pallet, it get moved with a pallet jack or fork lift.

If it is on its legs, and has to be moved 100' these guys aren't going to look for a coworker and hand lift your machine. They are going to push it across the warehouse as fast as possible and then look for the next piece to move.

That is how it works in a warehouse.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

This game was shipped to me by Kornfreak and was delivered today. The damage happened while the truck was here. The game was strapped to the side of the truck, like they always are. They also had six bumper cars in the truck. It was one of the cars that got loose and hit and bent the leg. No cab damage. Just a bent $10 leg.
I've had hundreds of games shipped in and out of my home by STI/NAVL and this is the FIRST time I've ever had an issue. Many games shipped here come on legs because it's too difficult for most to pack them on a pallet. Besides, it's getting restored so I don't care if they ding it or not. They always leave here packed well on a pallet.
Ship it any way you want, damage can happen, sooner or later but like I said, this is a first for me out of hundreds of shipments.

Who are you kidding?!? The machine was obstructing a case of Karbach Brewing Karbachtoberfest beer, so in order to move the TAF you bent the leg and grabbed the beer. Remember Bryan, honesty is always the best policy.

Brad

Karbachtoberfest.jpg

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I appreciate the thread OP. Don't worry about the negative Nancys. I'm sure a lot of newbs to the site appreciate it as well. I didn't get the impression you were steering us away from shipping but merely letting us know this can happen. Thanks.

Yw! But honestly, sorry if anyone got offended! I was just trying to help someone in the future. This wasn't about the damage or about trying to say negative things about STI. I have dealt with them several times before with no issues. This was a first for me and all I was saying was, no more shipping with legs on for me. That is all. I'm not even going to make a claim for this. And will continue to use STI in the future. Shit happens, this was just purely for information purposes only. Peace!

#50 3 years ago

I think somebody just put a super-magnet in The Thing mech in the upper right corner, and that pulled the leg toward the cabinet. Just switch the magnet out with one off of your fridge......and replace the leg.

In all honesty...that does suck. Damage happens, but damage to a game you just paid for, whether it happens sometimes or not, sucks either way you cut it. Thanks for sharing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside