(Topic ID: 136529)

TAF CPU ROM L-5 Thing Flips

By apc7654

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I just upgraded my AF game ROM from L-2 to L-5.

On L-5, the Thing Flips no longer work. The ramp switches and #57 opto work in switch test. There is no "Let's go Thing", and the flipper does not react.

I reinstalled the original L-2 ROM, and the Thing Flips works. Is this a characteristic of the L-5 ROM? I've done searches of previous posts for flips not working, but all end up as a wiring problem.

#2 8 years ago

If it were me, I would put the GOLD collectors roms in. I wouldn't mess with anything else. Also make sure there burned from licensed plantary pinball. but no input for you on how to fix the problem. Software clich somewhere

#3 8 years ago

I bought the ROM from thatpinballplace.com

#4 8 years ago

Look at your settings and see if the default is to have it off. I know that Thing has to relearn the shots, but not sure if that is automatic or it learns from when you try and make the shots. Try to play a few games and try and make the swamp from that flipper manually. It may be that after a few games it will start doing it on its own.

#5 8 years ago

I didn't check to see if there was an additional setting in the L-5 that allows to disable thing flips, although I will check (but if there was one, it would also disable the thing flip insert orange light). But, I did a factory reset & new location setting (resets thing flip data), but still no thing flip. The thing flip insert lights up at the entrance to the ramp, but that's it.

#6 8 years ago

Check the setting anyways and play a few games. Manually try the shot. After a few games it may start working. Not sure what else to tell you other than test the optos and switches in switch edge test just to be certain the switches register.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Look at your settings and see if the default is to have it off. I know that Thing has to relearn the shots, but not sure if that is automatic or it learns from when you try and make the shots. Try to play a few games and try and make the swamp from that flipper manually. It may be that after a few games it will start doing it on its own.

Well, schudel5, you may have been correct. I decided to put the L-5 rom back in, and play several games and manually shoot the ball into the swamp. After several games, the Thing Flips started working. I wonder why it doesn't work from the start?

1 week later
#8 8 years ago

That's because the game is "learning" the timing of the ball passing through the IR's, then when the flipper responds, then the end result of the swamp switch getting triggered. Which is the data you supplied while trying, or actually making that shot, then it continues to learn from there on it's own. My Monster Bash did the same thing on the Phantom flips.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 159.00
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1,059.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-cpu-rom-l-5-thing-flips and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.