• 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by awarner
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3060.JPG
There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

but using LW3 pretty much defeats your point, as you can substitute IJ and you've made my point

In my post I conceded IJ and TZ as likely better candidates. I stand by my comments about STTNG and WH2O. Also, you should consider average condition in price calculations, in other words compare price of an "average" MB with an average STTNG. I would even throw CFTBL in with the secondary tier even though it is my favorite machine.

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Better be all white

I agree. black and white SHOULD be the choice for TZ.

#53 11 years ago

I don't have a TZ, but if I did, I wouldn't want the dmd to be in black & white. The translite, cab, and pf aren't in black & white.

CFTBL was a black & white movie, so the DMD should be too? I don't think so.

It is called COLOR DMD

I hope there is the option for anyone who feels differently.

I'll be getting this for my TAF and CFTBL. Hope they do GnR someday.

#54 11 years ago

It would be cool if they did TZ and you have the option to switch from color to black and white (w/grey)

#55 11 years ago

Email Steph at [email protected] . He does all of my updated roms for my pinballs. He sells them at a VERY reasonable price. I believe he charges usually $10 per rom shipped. But with TAF Gold roms there is 4 of them if I remember correctly so it will be a little more. Hope that helps

#56 11 years ago

I've been tempted to put my AFM ColorDMD in TZ and set it to white, just to see what it would look like. I actually DID set it to white in the AFM to verify that it had the option.

#57 11 years ago

Looks nice. Still holding out hope for MB though.

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

I am sure it is not "required" but "recommended". If the Gold Rom has more images, they had to program it to color the extra images. Again, they said they haven't had any problems on different ROM versions from the feedback they have had.

Thanks. That is a very good and educated point you made. I really, really want one of these but at the same time I do not wish to be forced into the gold rom. Color upgrade = awesome. Gold Rom = not awesome.

#59 11 years ago

Doing MM and AFM made sense since they are big name ad big dollar. What diff is another $400.

TAF make sense for the numbers. They are probably trying to judge the market by picking high production and still keeping a recognized name without same dollar value.

MB Less than 4,000 made
CFTBL 7,800
IJ 12,700
TZ 15,000
TAF Over 21,000

If I had just a Creech and it was my favorite game I would do it in a second. But people like me also have to think about what games do they "really" want them in since getting them for every game is not practical. To get them for 10+ games, the extra $4K into a collection without a new game to play will take some thought.

That said, I got it for AFM and will probably do it for MM. But to keep getting them will not be a quick decision.

Just my opinion.

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinstym:

It is called COLOR DMD

You make a valid point there.

#61 11 years ago

But, TZ's DMD in black and white makes sense because it fits the theme and major colors used in the pin, too. There's a lot of black and white in the spirals and other places on the playfield and it would compliment the title on the backglass, as well.

I'm all for color DMD's, but I think this would be cool for TZ.

I just hope they come out with a color DMD SDK, or some kind of do-it-yourself kit in the future. Seems like a no brainer for most of the animations as they're all sequenced scenes that can be mapped out and colors changed screen by screen. The other stuff would be more difficult, I think.

#62 11 years ago

In the absence of a formal announcement, I just wanted to add a few comments on the TAF display we demonstrated at CAX earlier this week:

(1) The TAF prototype display has been tested and will work with both the TAF standard (L-7, H-4) and gold (LX-3) ROMs. We've updated our website to indicate this. So no need to move to the gold ROM if you're not inclined. However, if you upgrade(?) to the gold ROM, you will be able to see a number of additional colored animations that don't appear on the standard ROM.

(2) The display we showed at CAX uses the LCD display to light the 'THING' lamps instead of the normal lamp board. This display utilized a prototype lamp interface which will be integrated into our next board revision. This innovation was needed because the LCD screen occupies the space where the lamp board normally resides.

(3) The coloring for TAF is largely complete and we're targeting a production run sometime around October (just an estimate at this point). We'll need to spin a new board, test it, and tie up loose ends on some of the animations. We're also starting to source parts for the run with many on backorder right now.

There's still a lot to do but we think it's worth it, and we're glad we're able to contribute something to the hobby. Thanks for all the interest and stay tuned!

Randy

#63 11 years ago

Wow, beautiful....and a must for new games. But TAF and other classics? That's like colorizing Casa Blanca or Miracle on 34th Street. Bad call. Less is more.

On new games though I'd prefer color DMD over LCD. I like the escapist and artistic quality in DMDs for pinball. Why would I want a more realistic image? I don't really care about 3D TV either. Maybe for sports, but for TV and movies, I just want to watch the movie, I don't want to be in it. The gimmicks are cute in a big action flick but they're still gimmicks. 3D will ultimately ruin the charm of watching a movie.

#64 11 years ago

Ok, an exception! S-M. I just think the dots and movie scenes for this game are mediocre at best. Sharper (new!) dots with a color DMD would KICK ASS on Spidey. Geez, it could legitimately make a claim for best pin of all time with a red white and blue dominant DMD...and green for the goblin and yellow for sandman and black for ... Well...never mind black! But this is a money idea folks!

Alternatively, Absolutely not for LOTR. I love the dots on that game just as they are...would colorizing them really add enough to your enjoyment of the game?

Some of this modding is getting out of hand. And obsessive modding may start making selling a game really hard for some people, who may not ever get their investment back, so they'll never sell, even when the game is just sitting around their basement unused. I'll bet there will be ALOT of heavily modded games collecting dust at some point, not being played because the thrill is gone but they won't be sold....until the owner dies off and the kids can finally sell them, to a bunch of people who may not care.

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

In the absence of a formal announcement, I just wanted to add a few comments on the TAF display we demonstrated at CAX earlier this week:

(1) The TAF prototype display has been tested and will work with both the TAF standard (L-7, H-4) and gold (LX-3) ROMs. We've updated our website to indicate this. So no need to move to the gold ROM if you're not inclined. However, if you upgrade(?) to the gold ROM, you will be able to see a number of additional colored animations that don't appear on the standard ROM.

(2) The display we showed at CAX uses the LCD display to light the 'THING' lamps instead of the normal lamp board. This display utilized a prototype lamp interface which will be integrated into our next board revision. This innovation was needed because the LCD screen occupies the space where the lamp board normally resides.

(3) The coloring for TAF is largely complete and we're targeting a production run sometime around October (just an estimate at this point). We'll need to spin a new board, test it, and tie up loose ends on some of the animations. We're also starting to source parts for the run with many on backorder right now.

There's still a lot to do but we think it's worth it, and we're glad we're able to contribute something to the hobby. Thanks for all the interest and stay tuned!

Randy

Thanks for the clairification Randy, sure appreciate the update! I think you are going in the right direction, pinball needs more people like you all there at Color DMD. Awesome products and service, I cannot wait till the MM Display is ready to order and am very excited about the products yet to come from you!!

#66 11 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

(1) The TAF prototype display has been tested and will work with both the TAF standard (L-7, H-4) and gold (LX-3) ROMs. We've updated our website to indicate this. So no need to move to the gold ROM if you're not inclined. However, if you upgrade(?) to the gold ROM, you will be able to see a number of additional colored animations that don't appear on the standard ROM

that sound great thanks for info will have to have one in that case

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinstym:

It is called COLOR DMD

but there is a way for them to implement *both* color and non-color elements and both TZ and CftBL would be perfect candidates for this

animations not involving movie clips could be fully colorized and the movie clips could be black & white. this could bring the best of both worlds together (and the black & white clips would still look much better than our current orange displays

#68 11 years ago

Thansk for the update!!! Glad it will accept all ROMs.

Any update on a more accurate date that I should be looking for the MM release?

#69 11 years ago

Wow, beautiful....and a must for new games. But TAF and other classics? That's like colorizing Casa Blanca or Miracle on 34th Street. Bad call. Less is more.
On new games though I'd prefer color DMD over LCD. I like the escapist and artistic quality in DMDs for pinball. Why would I want a more realistic image? I don't really care about 3D TV either. Maybe for sports, but for TV and movies, I just want to watch the movie, I don't want to be in it. The gimmicks are cute in a big action flick but they're still gimmicks. 3D will ultimately ruin the charm of watching a movie.

After having bought the AFM ColorDMD, I disagree. This is nothing like colorizing old movies. This is adding modern technology to older equipment. Also, the graphics aren't changed. There are the same number of dots, they are just in color. Although there's a much higher density LCD screen there for the display, they have gone out of their way to not change the look of the graphics. And while I'm sure it's not for everyone, I'm in line for any of them they make that I have a game for. Also, my AFM with the ColorDMD had a line waiting to play it at Allentown this year!

IMG_3060.JPGIMG_3060.JPG

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Randy

I guess my question to this is, "Did you do the Easter Egg screens as well?"

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

I guess my question to this is, "Did you do the Easter Egg screens as well?"

Al, yep, the TAF Easter Eggs with cows in them were colored as well. The Gold ROM has an extra one along with the standard ROM's cow Easter Egg image.

Chris

#72 11 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

MB-3,000 units
STTNG-12,000 units
AF-20,000 units
IJ-13,000 units
WH20-7,000 units
I'd prefer they wait on MB and do some games that more people have.

Agreed

#73 11 years ago

Interested Pinsiders disagree with you: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vote-for-colordmd-titles

It is definitely not about just production numbers.

#74 11 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Interested Pinsiders disagree with you: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vote-for-colordmd-titles
It is definitely not about just production numbers.

That is a self restricted poll with the games you choose to put on it. It would be nice to see the actual ColorDMD guys set up a poll of realistic options (i.e. games they consider to be potentially next after TAF and TZ) and get some input.

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

That is a self restricted poll with the games you choose to put on it. It would be nice to see the actual ColorDMD guys set up a poll of realistic options (i.e. games they consider to be potentially next after TAF and TZ) and get some input.

STTNG,IJ, and WH2O are all in the poll. AF was omitted because it is already confirmed. I included only B/W titles because I have not seen any mention of other platforms being supported. I would like to have included SS, CFTBL, and FT, but am restricted to a maximum of 9 entries. The titles I included are top ten(minus Sterns) and other well-rated pins and ones with high production numbers. The poll is not perfect, but I believe it does illustrate that production numbers alone do not equate to actual purchase interest. (see T2)

#76 11 years ago

I just wanted to add this video that a guy shot of my AFM at Allentown.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1,159.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 159.00
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 180.00
20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-colordmd/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.