New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 276280)

TAF coil problem

By abrnpilot

51 days ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 42 days ago by DumbAss
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

fliptronic_transistors.jpg

#1 51 days ago

I replaced the upper left flipper on my TAF with an entire new assembly and I wired the coil just like the coil I took off. When I pressed the left flipper button I blew a bunch of fuses and who knows what else. When I looked closely at the assembly that I took off I realized that someone had wired the coil backwards in the bracket (wire terminals where the plunger hits). The assembly I put on has the coil facing the proper direction, so in essence, I wired the new coil backwards. Now I have no power to any of my coils. Has anyone ever experienced this?

#2 51 days ago

Sadly, yes. You aren't alone. You may have blown a fuse or two on the fliptronics board. And you may have also lost a transistor or two, the diodes on the coil, and possibly the coil.

Sorry.

LTG : )

#3 51 days ago

Where do I look on the board for the transistor and how do I test if I fried it. The diodes on the coil look fine but I will replace as a precaution.

#4 51 days ago
Quoted from abrnpilot:

Where do I look on the board for the transistor

Manual helps. Or turn the game on. Go to Tests - Coils stop on upper left flipper and hit the start button. Then keep hitting the + diagnostic button which each hit steps you though coil, fuse, connector, transistor information.

Quoted from abrnpilot:

The diodes on the coil look fine but I will replace as a precaution.

You can't always tell by looking, replacing is a good idea.

Quoted from abrnpilot:

how do I test if I fried it

Youtube has lots of short videos to help with this.

#5 51 days ago

I can see two that are obviously toast at q7 and q11. Thanks. I think I can fix it from here.

#6 51 days ago

Orientation of the coil is not what you want to look at when wiring a coil. Pay attention to where the wires are in relation to the banded side of the diodes.

#7 50 days ago

I was in a hurry and now I will learn the hard way. But it will be invaluable knowledge.

#8 50 days ago
Quoted from abrnpilot:

But it will be invaluable knowledge.

I am glad you see that. There isn't a school where you can learn pinball repair.

You just paid some tuition.

#9 50 days ago
Quoted from abrnpilot:

I replaced the upper left flipper on my TAF with an entire new assembly and I wired the coil just like the coil I took off. When I pressed the left flipper button I blew a bunch of fuses and who knows what else. When I looked closely at the assembly that I took off I realized that someone had wired the coil backwards in the bracket (wire terminals where the plunger hits). The assembly I put on has the coil facing the proper direction, so in essence, I wired the new coil backwards. Now I have no power to any of my coils. Has anyone ever experienced this?

Whenever I am replacing a flipper coil in a WPC machine, I carefully tag each wire before I desolder or cut them off:

END BAND, MID BAND, NO BAND (BAND = Banded end of diode)

That way, it doesn't matter how the coil was oriented previously, you will always get the wires back on the right lugs.

RussM

1 week later
#10 43 days ago

Hey guys, I replaced the transistors and I put in a brand new coil. Now when I turn the machine on the upper left flipper becomes powered and stays up. I am lost.

#11 42 days ago
Quoted from abrnpilot:

Now when I turn the machine on the upper left flipper becomes powered and stays up. I am lost.

Something on the board.

You might need a board repair guy to fix it.

#12 42 days ago
Quoted from abrnpilot:

I replaced the upper left flipper on my TAF with an entire new assembly

Quoted from abrnpilot:

I can see two that are obviously toast at q7 and q11.

Quoted from abrnpilot:

I replaced the transistors and I put in a brand new coil. Now when I turn the machine on the upper left flipper becomes powered and stays up.

fliptronic_transistors.jpg

You replaced the upper left flipper assembly.

Then you replaced Q7 (GREEN) and Q11 (BLUE).

You should test all the transistors using a DMM. You don't have electron vision so you can't see if a component is working on not.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside